Babies: 6 - 9 Months

WWYD about this?

I'll try to make this short.  DD has recently begun rolling over in her sleep and staying on her tummy but with her face down in the mattress.  She eventually starts fussing which wakes me up and I turn her over.  This repeats multiple times per night.  It is pretty terrifying so I bought an Angelcare monitor, leave all doors open, turn all monitors up to full blast and my mommy instinct pretty much wakes me up every hour to go check on her.  I was explaining all of this to my mother and she says, "Oh, no way, this makes me too nervous, you need to sleep on the floor in her room."  I honestly was feeling okay about the situation until she said that.  My H says that's nuts and the only way we could prevent anything from happening would be to stay awake and watch her all night which is impossible.  And of coarse, he works at night so this all falls on me.  So wwyd in this situation?  TIA

Re: WWYD about this?

• How old is she? If she can roll over I would think she'd have enough control to move her head if she couldn't breathe. I mean, sounds like you're doing a lot...like your H says, short of keeping watch all night, there's not much else you can do. Do you mean she just won't move her head? Do you move her head after she's fallen asleep and she puts it back in the mattress?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I say if you LO is capable of rolling on to her stomach then leave it on her stomach. If Jay is face down I go in and move his head to the side. I don't like anything being near his nose or mouth. But I wouldn't worry so much. Your LO will be fine. Jay sleeps on his stomach everynight. I can not stop him and I am not worried about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • She's 5 plus months and is great at rolling back to tummy but seems to have forgotten tummy to back which she did back around 2.5 months.  She doesn't move her head to the side, she pulls her hands up under her face and cries.  I don't think she stays like this for long before she starts fussing but I'm not sure.
  • imagettarnold23:
    She's 5 plus months and is great at rolling back to tummy but seems to have forgotten tummy to back which she did back around 2.5 months.  She doesn't move her head to the side, she pulls her hands up under her face and cries.  I don't think she stays like this for long before she starts fussing but I'm not sure.

DS puts his hands under his face and cries when he wakes up at night, too. He sleeps on his tummy and has since he was less than 2 months old.  I doubt she's having any trouble breathing or wants to roll over and can't, she probably just wants you. Your DH is right, whether you're asleep in your bed or asleep on her floor, you're asleep, and you can't stay awake all night. At 5 plus months, she should have enough control to move her head to the side if she wanted/needed to.  I completely understand you're worried, but I think at that age she should be just fine. :)

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • At 5 months she should be fine and have adequate head control to move it if she needs to.  I would think by going in every time she fusses you may just be setting yourself up for trouble later on when she's used to your company every hour.  Also, it may take a few nights, but if you do not turn her onto her back, I bet she would figure out how to get into a comfortable sleep position from her tummy on her own.  

We did not own a monitor until L was 6 months old, and I think it saved us a lot of heart ache worrying about every position he slept in.

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Our pedi said as long as they have good neck control, don't stress yourself out about it too much. But I know I would worry as well, i think the video moniter should be enough and I agree with just turning the head to the side. Ours can roll over but is a back and side sleeper and only ended up on his stomach once.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • DD just started doing this too, she'll roll over onto her tummy and sleep the rest of the night that way.  She'll eventually fuss and get up on her hands and knees and cry, at that point i'll turn her over and give her a pacifier to soothe her back to sleep.... I even asked the doctor at her 6month appointment this week if there was more I should be doing, or if I should be worried... and the doctor told me at this age, she has complete head/neck control and if she rolls herself onto her tummy it's fine to let her sleep that way. it's really only younger babies that don't have much control that you need to watch. So I'm not worried! 
  • when our little bug turned 3 months and I was very ready for her to be in her own room we got a snooza.

It snaps on to her diaper and if she stops breathing for more than 15 seconds it sounds an alarm.

It worked for us and I sleep much better at night knowing she's okay. I'm paranoid I know but she had sleep apnia as an infant and would frequently stop breathing. She would be awake but couldn't breath.

Good luck!

image. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for you answers ladies, wish us luck tonight :)
  • Give her a little longer and she will go front to back again. Nate has been sleeping on his tummy for awhile but would not turn over when he woke. Than one night I went to get him and he was looking up at me all smiles and proud of himself.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Soap1Soap1 member
    If they can roll over, they can sleep on their stomachs.  She will eventually figure out how to either sleep on her stomach or roll back over.  Don't worry about it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"