Natural Birth

Anyone rent and have a homebirth there?

We are in the process of TTC #2 and we would like to have another homebirth.

We currently own but need a bigger place so we are looking at renting our place and renting another.

DH wants to tell them upfront that we are planning a homebirth so since it is their property they can say yes or no.

I'm hoping if I discuss it and tell them what #1 was like there will be no issues but I'm not sure if that will be the case.

we COULD stay in this place until after #2 is born and then move but we aren't sure what we want to do....

I'd appreciate your thoughts ladies!

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                 You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

Re: Anyone rent and have a homebirth there?

• I'm not sure why it would be a landlord's business that you are having a homebirth. Its not like having a homebirth would hurt the property or anything. I'm not saying you should lie to them, but I can't imagine it just coming up in conversation either. I would just be afraid that if they aren't open minded, it may cause a knee-jerk negative reaction from them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't tell them, because honestly it is none of their business.  Unless it specifically says in your lease that homebirth is prohibited, they can't do anything about your having a HB there.  Why do you feel like they need to know?

• Loading the player...
  • image+adamwife+:
    I wouldn't tell them, because honestly it is none of their business.  Unless it specifically says in your lease that homebirth is prohibited, they can't do anything about your having a HB there.  Why do you feel like they need to know?

I agree. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image+adamwife+:
    I wouldn't tell them, because honestly it is none of their business.  Unless it specifically says in your lease that homebirth is prohibited, they can't do anything about your having a HB there.  Why do you feel like they need to know?

Yep I agree. We rent and were thinking of going the home birth option at first, but whether or not we should call the landlord never even came up. I can't see how they could say anything about it anyway, like the PP said, you're not causing the house to drop in value, lol! I just recommend you stay off the carpet for the actual birthing :-) You're gonna leak a bit, lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • CTri17CTri17 member
    imagectygrlstl:

image+adamwife+:

Yep I agree. We rent and were thinking of going the home birth option at first, but whether or not we should call the landlord never even came up. I can't see how they could say anything about it anyway, like the PP said, you're not causing the house to drop in value, lol! I just recommend you stay off the carpet for the actual birthing :-) You're gonna leak a bit, lol

I know, I had one here already. We've had no issues. If it were me I wouldn't say anything but DH is a pretty big stickler for being honest that he would want them to know that we would be doing that (since there will be bodily fluids out there), I totally agree that it would cause a knee jerk reaction and I have no issues explaining how it works but I just don't know if they will take us as renters because of it.

DH is for sure not going to budge on it, which I totally respect because he just wants to be honest.

• I wouldn't advertise it to them. We are going to be renting out our house soon when we buy a new one and I can see why a landlord might be concerned. Which is probably why your DH wants to tell them since he is probably looking at it though the eyes of the landlord. I think the biggest concern is if there were to be an incident with water damage from a birthing tub. If your DH insists on telling them I would suggest letting them know that you have had a home birth previously with no permanent mess and if something were to get ruined you would pay to get it fixed. You should tell your DH that while you love how honest he is sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness than permission.
  • Our house is under agreement and we are planning on renting for the next year or so to figure out what we really want.  I am planning another homebirth and do not plan to tell my landlord about it.  

A friend of mine did end up telling her landlord, but I think she was just giving her a heads up (since she lived above my friend- 2 family)...she didn't ask permission.  She said her landlord was a little bit weirded out but didn't really say anything else.

It really isn't their business.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• imageCTri17:
    imagectygrlstl:

image+adamwife+:

I know, I had one here already. We've had no issues. If it were me I wouldn't say anything but DH is a pretty big stickler for being honest that he would want them to know that we would be doing that (since there will be bodily fluids out there), I totally agree that it would cause a knee jerk reaction and I have no issues explaining how it works but I just don't know if they will take us as renters because of it.

DH is for sure not going to budge on it, which I totally respect because he just wants to be honest.

But there is a HUGE difference between lying and withholding information.  I am also very big on honesty and do not in anyway view not telling them about my person life as being dishonest.   

I have to LOL about the bodily fluid thing...I mean, is he going to tell them that you all have sex too?  Is he going to warn them that you will be changing diapers at the house?  

As those of us who have homebirths know the whole perception of a homebirth being messy and bodily fluids being flung around the room is a gross misconception. Other than a indent ring on the carpet for a week or so after our homebirth (and of course the baby in my arms), you wouldn't have even know we had one the day after she was born.

Truthfully, I just think you are just asking for trouble.  YOU know that this is not a big deal, but if you approach someone who is not informed about homebirth you might get a very undesirable reaction.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I am a landlord myself and I can't think of a reason this is something you would need to tell me about. The landlord is only liable for your if you had an injury or illness related to the home itself. Unless the birth would take you over the occupancy limit for the property, but if its your second that shouldn't be right because Fair Housing laws require you to allow up to two persons per bedroom.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • imageCTri17:
    imagectygrlstl:

image+adamwife+:

Don't take this the wrong way.  But if you pee in the toilet.  Have sex in the house, have ever cut yourself while living there, spit in the sink, those are all bodily fluids....It is none of their business and shouldn't matter

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • CTri17CTri17 member

DH and I chatted and he had thought about it some more and said he didn't see a reason to tell them after he thought about it some more.

Thanks for your opinions ladies.

• I'm a landlord and it is none of my business what my tenants do on my property so long as it doesn't damage the property and isn't illegal.  The only way I would tell/ask if if you're having a waterbirth and are concerned about the floor supporting the tub and/or water damage.

Sure there will be "bodily fluids," but I assume that you will clean the place before you move out.  Babies leave bodily fluids all over the place, doesn't mean I wouldn't rent to someone who had one.  Or even someone with HIV.  So long as there isn't blood, urine, fecal matter or anything else like that left behind when they leave, who cares?

• imageCTri17:
    imagectygrlstl:

image+adamwife+:

I'm all for being honest but this is like disclosing that you sometimes like to have sex in the living room. I just don't get it. It has absolutely zero to do with the property.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"