June 2011 Moms
Options

Thinking about doing some cloth diapering at home

I always said I would never do cloth diapers but DD is peeing through these huggies like crazy!!  I will take any suggestions and let me now what you like/dislike. I never wanted to do this but it is sounding better and better. I am washing loads of laundry everyday anyway.  Thanks so much!! 

Re: Thinking about doing some cloth diapering at home

• Options
    I love CDing, and I have twins! Right now we just use Prefolds and covers because my girls are too small for the AIO's etc, and DH and I love using them. I guess we're just cheap, lol. But really we do a load of laundry every day anyways so it's seriously no big deal just throwing the diapers into a load.
    photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm a pocket girl. We use some prefolds too but I like the stay dry feeling of pockets. We do use some prefolds, trifolded (easy) .When we use prefolds I use fleece insets that I cut up to make them dry on her bum.

I really like our Bum Genius 4.0 pockets and even our cheaper Sun Babys are working well too. Kawaii's have a good price also and are good for heavy wetters but are a tad buliker IMO. Theres lots of good brands. Our Oh Katys and Rumparooz are nice but the Rumparooz are a little more expensive and I think you can get good pockets for cheaper then they were. If I knew what I do now I would have done mainly BG, Oh Katy and Sun Babys although we do have a Tweedle Bug that I like and may buy a few more of. They do seem to have mixed reviews though.

I think it's good to do a mix and see what you like.

We use all one size adjustable dipes that will last until she potty trains. I did not want to mess with having t size up. They may cost a little more but not more than having to go buy all new in the next size up. Some find the one sized ones a bit bulkier but to me the cost savings was worth it and they really aren't bulky because I do not like bulky...

If you are wanting something lower costing and just for home prefolds and covers might be it. Or even a 2 part system. It's just whatever your preference ends up being. I still don't get the appeal of fitteds. To me it's like having to put on 2 diapers...

Maybe try out a 3 week trial. You send back the ones you don't want or all of them and only lose out on $10....whatever you like you can keep to purchase and add more of that particular choice. Jilliansdrawers.com has a good trial.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Check out the FAQ at the top of the cloth diapering board.

I use Rumparooz one size pockets. We love them. You'll probably want to try a few different brands.

• Options
    I love my Bum Genius 4.0's.  They are pockets.  We have 24 and we do a load of diaper laundry every other day.  I also use cloth wipes (just wash clothes I picked up at Target) and I spray them with a mixture of water and some baby soap.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm also using pockets- I really like that I can adjust the absorbency by adding more inserts.  I have a bunch of extra inserts and doublers (thinner than an insert) that are either microfiber or hemp.  I like to use a hemp insert on bottom with a microfiber doubler on top.  The microfiber absorbs quickly so it whisks the moisture away from baby's skin and the natural fiber inserts absorb a lot more, although slower.  For night time, or for heavy wetting, I even use two inserts.  Yes they are bulkier this way, but at night she's just sleeping anyway.  The only nighttime leaks I've had were when my mom or DH put a diaper on DD and didn't snap it tight enough.

If you are looking to save money, you can buy cloth diapers gently used- the majority of mine are.  I buy from spotscorner.com.  

I also use cheap washcloths as wipes and wet them with a spray bottle filled with water, and a squirt each of baby soap and baby oil.

And I use homemade detergent for my diapers too.  It's Borax, washing soda, and Oxyclean.  It's pretty cheap to make- here's the instructions if you're interested.  https://www.theecofriendlyfamily.com/2009/08/cloth-diaper-detergent.html

Can you tell I don't like spending money on crap (catching/ cleaning it to be specific!)? 

• Options
    Thanks so much for the input!! Mom will be keeping DD and had tried to get me to use cloth with DS.  After hearing all of you talk about it, I am really interested and thinking of ways to save money since now we have two.  My mom is totally on board since she cloth diapered with all 3 of us. I will be doing some research over the next few days and see what to try.  I appreciate your help so much from mom who have BTDT!!  Thanks again!!
  • Options
    I didn't want to spend a lot incase I didn't like CDing and I bought one size pockets from China from Ebay. They were between $3.50 and $6.00 with free shipping. I got 20 of them and love them. I paid less than $100 for my stash an have been doing great with them. A lot of people want organic and made in the US but for me these were just as good. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Good idea!!  I didn't want to go crazy buying them until I see how it goes. It helps  that my mom will be our in home care, and has done this before.  Things sure have changed though and are a lot easier. I have been reading a lot this evening.  I also wanted to ask you how you wash them. The sites said you need to do a cool rinse and then wash in hot water.  How do ya'll wash yours?

• Options
    imagehannahruth32:

Good idea!!  I didn't want to go crazy buying them until I see how it goes. It helps  that my mom will be our in home care, and has done this before.  Things sure have changed though and are a lot easier. I have been reading a lot this evening.  I also wanted to ask you how you wash them. The sites said you need to do a cool rinse and then wash in hot water.  How do ya'll wash yours?

Cold rinse, hot wash with a bit of Ultra Tide Powder, cold rinse, and hang to dry in sun when possible.  GL!

~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Great! I am going to invest in a drying rack for the front porch anyways.  Reading on the websites it started sounding like a lot of work. But after I reviewed some more I started seeing it wasn't too bad.  I excited to get started!!
  • Options
    We store them in a dry bag, no rinsing just throw them in there.  Then cold water rinse, hot wash (charlie's soap), sometimes an extra rinse, dry outside when possible.  The one thing I will mention is that you have to thoroughly prep the diapers, which depending on the diaper, will be quite a few wash/dry cycles.  I use hemp/cotton, and I ended up doing them about 7 times to get them totally prepped.  Take a tbsp of water and pour it on the dipe, if it doesn't soak right in, it's not prepped enough and you will have leaking.
  • Options
    I use Fuzzi Bunz. :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We are using prefolds and green earth covers for right now, we have fuzzibunz to use when she grows, but our LO is still wearing the premie size (and she was two weeks late!)  I have to say, I thought I would hate prefolds, but I actually LOVE them.  Ours aren't super bulky because our LO is so long and her tush is so little to begin with.  The green earth covers are really soft and thin so it takes out a lot of the bulk, but I did have to run over the velcro with my sewing machine a few times because they weren't attached very well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"