Special Needs

ASD/Apsergers and Antidepressants/History of Depression/Anxiety

My husband and I are TTC and my doctor has put me on prozac due to a history of depression/anxiety.  Just recently I read information on a study suggesting a possible correlation between antidepressant use in pregnancy with an increased risk for autism.

I was wondering, for those of you with children with autism or aspergers, did you take antidepressants during pregnancy? Do you or your husband have any history of depression/anxiety (even if you did not take meds during pregnancy)?

I am trying to weigh the benefits and risks of being on AD during pregnancy. I appreciate you sharing.

Thanks.

Re: ASD/Apsergers and Antidepressants/History of Depression/Anxiety

• I have history of anxiety and depression but hadn't taken anything for 8 years prior to pregnancy and only started Lexapro after birth of 2nd child. You might repost on the PPD board, too. Good luck with your decision. A healthy mother is so important, so hopefully you find some good info. DS1 has autism, forgot to mention. And I need my Lexapro to deal with it! ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What I took out of that study was that the problem is not that you are on the meds per se (they don't cause autism in kids), but whether you are prone to depression or not.

Not all brains are wired to be prone to depression, but those that are have something that could potentionally be passed on to their offspring that may play a role in that child developing autism. Autism also often travels with depression, anxiety, ADD, OCD, schizoprenia and other such disorders. So, it's all kinda related.

• Loading the player...
  • From what I've read, autism is often kind of a "tip of the iceberg" thing that accompanies a family history of depression & other mood and mental disorders. You obviously can't change your family history and any genetic propensity that's already there.

FWIW, I was not on any medications (except prenatals) during either of my pregnancies. DD1 has autism, DD2 does not. I had PPA after DD2 was born, and am currently being treated for depression (no drugs yet).  

But my extended and nuclear family does have quite a history, including depression, alcoholism, bi-polar, eating disorders, and anxiety. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • I was not taking anything, and have no history with depression, my ex though, his family has a whole string of mental issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"