Austin Babies

Pumping Q

I have what may be a silly question:

The pumping info I got from the NICU says that I should pump every 3 hours for 20-30 minutes, and stop 2-3 minutes after the last drops appear (I assume to build demand). The pump we rented from them automatically shuts off at 30 minutes, but my boobs are still going. Is there some reason I'm supposed to stop at 30 minutes, or should I just restart it and keep going? Am I hurting my potential supply by stopping at 30 minutes?  Or is this a sign I should be pumping more often?

BTW, DS nursed so well this morning, for 20 whole minutes before he fell asleep. I can't wait until he gets strong enough to actually get enough nutrition that way. I hate to see them feed him through a tube and then him puke it up because he's too full. It breaks my heart that my boy gets a yucky tummy because they are forcefeeding him like veal.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Pumping Q

• Are you getting milk that entire time, or does it take a while for your flow to start? How much are you getting (average) when the pump shuts off at 30 minutes?

• If you were still getting milk and your trying to build up your supply then I would keep pumping until you feel confident in your supply. If you are not getting milk then you could try pumping more often instead of every 2-3 hours just to see if that helps! 

Hopefully your little guy has more good latches/feeds and he can start to nurse more often! :)  

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry, should have read that before I posted. I would keep pumping until you are not getting anymore milk unless you just have a ton of milk and, in that case, I would probably stop pumping after you got a good bottles worth
  • imagebrideonjuly8:

Are you getting milk that entire time, or does it take a while for your flow to start? How much are you getting (average) when the pump shuts off at 30 minutes?

I'm getting an average of 50-65ml (about 2 oz) per side when it cuts off. DS is currently ordered to have 52ml per feed, which is every 3 hours.

As an experiment, I kept going tonight on my left side, and got over 100ml before I had to stop to go to the restroom. I think I'll just turn up the strength of the pump and restart it after 30 minutes. I will need a stash for when I go back to work, so I figure I should start building supply now, even though I don't have a date set since DS is still in the NICU.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"