Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Opinions on the bottle

I'll be going back to work in the fall after being home with my LO for a full year.  She's my first child so I'm not always sure about the timelines for when you should start/wean different things.  Currently I'm stressing about the bottle.  She's 11 months and takes 4-5 bottles of 8 ounces of formula throughout the day.  She is only moderately interested in a sippy cup.  She doesn't hold the bottle by herself even when I try to force her to and she can hold the sippy cup but hasn't gotten the tilting her head back/cup up motion to really do it herself.

If I was staying home with her full time I wouldn't be concerned because I would just do what I've been doing and follow her lead with weaning on her own pace. However, I *think* the daycare isn't keen on bottles after the child turns one.  I believe it is milk in a sippy cup and finger foods that they offer.  I know I need to double check.  LO does eat some finger foods, but is still on stage 2 solids.  She gags and acts like I'm torturing her if I try anything remotely chunky.

Sorry for the length, but at what point should I really work on getting her off the bottle, onto the sippy and move away from formula?  

Re: Opinions on the bottle

• J+MSJ+MS member
    Meh, the goal is a year but most babies aren't weaned off the bottle for a few months after a year.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • DS never held a bottle and couldn't do a regular zippy. I switched cold turkey to straw cups at 9 1/2 months and he did fine.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Loading the player...
  • When we started weaning little one off bottles we would cut out one bottle every couple of weeks, replacing it with a stage 2 food or a finger food snack.  Now he takes a bottle first thing in the morning, one before his afternoon nap and one before bed.  It was actually a much easier transistion than I expected.

As far as a sippy cup goes, it's still a work in progress.  He knows what to do but he's not a huge fan of water.

• I took the bottle away from my DD by 10 months. She did fine. We also started a very slow transition to whole milk at that time per my pedi's recommendation. My DS hasn't ever really taken a bottle, so I gave him a sippy at 6 months and he's a pro now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter is like your LO in the fact that she does not understand the concept of tilting her head back for a bottle/sippy cup, and has no interest in holding it, unless it is to chew the side of it.  I am not sure if this is because she never had much practice with a bottle because I am breastfeeding, or whether she just doesn't feel the need to learn.  Regardless, I was in the same situation as you ... until last week.

I asked my H to go to the store and pick up some more wipes and he came back with a new cup for our daughter.  It is a Playtex cup with a straw.  The bottom has a softer grip so that the parents can squeeze it to get the liquid to the top, which is great when they are first learning how to suck out of a straw.

It only took a day and a half and now our daughter drinks from a straw by herself.

You may want to try looking into that instead of a regular sippy cup.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"