May 2011 Moms

Why do I feel guilty for putting her down awake?

If she cries, I go to her and soothe her, but we've been working on putting DD down for naps and at night sleepy but awake. And it's working - so why do I feel guilty for not rocking or nursing her to sleep?? This is what I wanted, right??! Yet part of me feels like I've just left her there without any interaction or stimulation, though that's the point if I want her to sleep. Anyone else feel oddly guilty for making their baby more independent? Maybe I'm just mourning the growing my sweet baby is already doing?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Why do I feel guilty for putting her down awake?

• I used to let DS sleep on me in the evenings, and then we would go to bed at the same time (we co-sleep). But the last week we have tried putting him upstairs in the bed when he falls asleep and letting him be on his own for a while. I feel guilty sitting downstairs without him, like he is missing out on his bonding time, but it is more like I am missing him than he is missing me.

I am no help, sorry

DS1 Born Apr 29 2011

DS2 Born Nov 5 2013

Pregnant with #3 Dec 24 2014, MMC found at 10w, D&C Feb 10th 2015

Cautious BFP May 25th 2015 EDD Feb 6 2016

• I'm jealous. I'd be doing this too if there was a shot in hell he would go to sleep on his own. You're doing what is good for your baby. Don't feel guilty!
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • yeah our pedi told us we could start trying to do that with her but umm i cant yet haha.. plus after her shots, any way i can get her to sleep is what i will be doing.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • jodyrmjodyrm member
    Yeah I understand that feeling. I have a needy baby so when she plays solo without crying for more than a few minutes I start to feel bad. But also I'm jealous. My DD takes lots and lots of work to get to sleep.
    ♥ mm/c 2/6/2010 ♥ lydia 4/28/2011 ♥ c/p 10/25/2011 ♥ edd 2/23/2012
  • I felt bad at first. What I would do is put her down in her crib (upstairs) and do a few things up there, like pee, brush my teeth, change into my pjs then before going back downstairs to watch tv with hubby, I'd peek in on her, and once I saw she was out, I stopped my guilt trips. Babies are little people, sometimes they want you to leave them alone too.
    imageimage
  • You know, I think there is something wrong with me.  I have put my baby down awake since she was 3 weeks old and sleeping in her crib.  She has never cried, sometimes she lies awake for 15 or 20 minutes but she seems happy, and she goes to bed.  I have never really rocked her to sleep. 

The only reason I feel guilty about it ever, is because it seems like everyone else rocks their baby to sleep!  She is happy as a clam (and a GREAT sleeper)....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"