December 2010 Moms

s/o: carseats

Is there any reason to switch to the convertible one sooner rather than later?

We are still using the infant one and usually just take DS in and out of it, leaving the car seat itself still in the car. And that seems to be working for us for now. 

DS is a pretty big kid (20ish lbs) and pretty tall (he's got about an inch or so before the infant seat it too small). 

We are driving 400 miles next month for vacation and thought he should stay in the infant seat since it's more leaned back and easier for him to sleep in. 

Is there any reason why the convertible would be better? Am I missing something about why people seems to anxious to switch?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o: carseats

• lrn327lrn327 member
    imagejmm881:

I think it's more for comfort. We switched DD when she was 18lbs and 26inches for a couple reasons - the Britax convertible was roomier and easier to get her in and out of. And our seat only went to 22lbs. 

On that note, DD seems to be more comfy in the convertible rather than the infant seat. And the convertible seems to keep her cooler than the infant seat.

I agree with all of this.  Our seat went up to 30lbs and we still switched.  The Blvd reclines 45 degrees I believe so they are still quite reclined.  My DS would give sleeping in it two thumbs up! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelrn327:
    imagejmm881:

I think it's more for comfort. We switched DD when she was 18lbs and 26inches for a couple reasons - the Britax convertible was roomier and easier to get her in and out of. And our seat only went to 22lbs. 

On that note, DD seems to be more comfy in the convertible rather than the infant seat. And the convertible seems to keep her cooler than the infant seat.

I agree with all of this.  Our seat went up to 30lbs and we still switched.  The Blvd reclines 45 degrees I believe so they are still quite reclined.  My DS would give sleeping in it two thumbs up! 

Agree. Nora is a peanut, but we still switched when she was about 6 months old and she seems comfier.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe we'll have to try it. We have one, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

It might be a good idea to try it out before our trip and see which one will work better for our road trip.

• We haven't switched yet, but mostly because I know the convertible is going to be a b!tch to get in my car.  :(
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • we haven't switched yet either, but i have a feeling H will like the convertible better. she is always lifting up her head off the back of the seat to look around so i think she'll like the positioning in the convertible seat more.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Rink08Rink08 member
    I'm not switching until he outgrows the infant carrier. LO's 17lbs and 26.5 inches so we have a little while.
  • We also switched for comfort and ease of getting in/out. We only bought the convertible for DH's car so far so if I need to use my car I'll still use the infant seat for now.
  • image--halo--:
    We haven't switched yet, but mostly because I know the convertible is going to be a b!tch to get in my car.  :(

Just have a cop do it! So much easier (for us...he actually struggled with it, haha), and it gave us peace of mind to know that it was installed correctly!

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • imagejillybean800:

image--halo--:
    We haven't switched yet, but mostly because I know the convertible is going to be a b!tch to get in my car.  :(

Just have a cop do it! So much easier (for us...he actually struggled with it, haha), and it gave us peace of mind to know that it was installed correctly!

Yes...our local hospital also has a car seat installation/inspection station. In fact, I'm surprised so many people DON'T have theirs inspected the first time they install it. Something like 90% (4/5) car seats aren't installed properly. I feel a little better watching them install it for the first time so DH and I know how to do it just right if we have to take it out and re-install it at some point.

See if there's a Safe Kids organization near you (https://www.safekids.org/). They're the ones who sponsor the car seat inspection stations around here. But you can also go to the police or fire stations. When we had the infant base installed they had us practice with a doll to make sure we clipped it in properly and had the straps tightened just the right amount, lol. 

• We only switched before LO hit the weight/legnth limit because we started daycare and I wanted my Mom to have a car seat since she is the emergency contact. So we bought the convertible for our car and put the infant one in my Mom's car.

I do find the convertible easier to get her in and out of and seems like it would be more comfy for her but not so much so that I would recommend swithcing before you need to.

As far as installation goes the baby boutique we buy most of our gear from has certified installers.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers        Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Oct Angel*BFP 1/25/14 * EDD 10/6/14 * US#1 2/26/14 *US#2 3/3/14 no heartbeat*d&c 3/12/14*

BFP 1/17/15 * EDD 9/30/15

• I have not switched my guys yet- I hav not even bought the seats yet.

I am a Certified Tech- Not ALL fire stations and police departments have certified people- I am not a nurse, in law enforcement or a fireman  I managed a SAFE KIDS Chapter when I worked as a Health Educator in a health department - so look up Safe Kids near you for Certified Techs.... plus we are not an installation service- they are suppose to teach you to install the seat- you are suppose to be the last person to touch the seat. 

• imagejillybean800:

image--halo--:

Well, I actually meant that I don't think it's going to fit without moving the front passenger seat all the way up.  I just want a new car.  ;P

But that is also a good idea to have a cop install it.  We had our infant car seat installed by the fire department and plan to have the convertible installed by them as well. 

I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • We switched when G was around 5.5 months.  Mostly because I HATED the infant car seat.  For us, when the infant seat was in the car the front passenger seat had to be pushed all the way forward.  Not comfortable.  With the convertible it's a lot more roomy for me.  Also our infant car seat was far less comfy than G's new convertible seat.  And, it was much cheaper and harder to operate the straps, etc.  If we have another I will be buying a more expensive and better put together car seat.  That thing was CRAP (disclaimer...it was a well known and well reviewed brand that I'm sure is quite safe.  I just thought it was cheap as far as comfort and useability).
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"