September 2011 Moms
Options

Rec breastfeeding supplies?

I didn't registry for any BF related supplies so I am starting to think about what I need now. Any BTDT moms recommend certain brands of cream, pads, etc.? Also, I will be getting a Medela pump, do I have to use their bags or can I use other brands? Am I missing anything? TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Rec breastfeeding supplies?

• Options

I always preferred the Lansinoh disposable breast pads and then I switched to LiliPadz which are awesome once your supply regulates.  I have the Medela PISA and used the Medela bags but I'm pretty sure any bag will attach.  

This time around, I just bought a Milkies milk saver.  Google it.  It's pretty cool in theory but I have no idea if it will work.  It got good reviews online. 

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I've also heard the Simple Wishes hands free bra is a must have. I'll be purchasing that for when I start pumping.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lansinoh! For cream, pads, nipple shields, bags (no, you dont have to use medela bags, i personally dislike them)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Lansinoh gel soothies.  They are great - put them in the fridge and then put them on your breast for relief.

Also, black tea bags. You may not end up needing them (hopefully you don't), and if you DO end up needing them, it will only be in the beginning, but they're cheap and wonderful to have if you need them.  If baby has a hard time latching at all, you may end up with cracked, bloody nipples for a bit.  This started for me about 5 days PP, and I was ready to throw in the towel because it hurt so bad. I was huge and engorged on the left side, so baby couldn't latch, and my nipple cracked. Then even if I hand expressed some to make it easier for DS to latch, he didn't like the taste/feel of the cracked, bloody nip (can't say I blame him!) so he still refused to latch.  The hospital LC called me at home right as I was ready to start giving him formula, and she rec'd the black tea bags. DH ran to Walmart and got some right away, and I was able to nurse again on that side in 8 hours, completely healed within 24.  You just soak one in warm water for about 30 seconds, squeeze out all of the water, and then put it directly on your nipple. Make sure you have a breast pad in between the tea bag and your shirt/bra, as they will stain.  Leave it on for about 15 min, then take off. Repeat every 3-4 hours as needed.

A good cover up.  I loved my Bebe Au Lait cover. When I bought mine they were only available on their website, now you can get them at BRU, Amazon, lots of other places.  I rarely nursed in public places like the mall, restaurants, etc, but I used it tons when we went to see friends or family, or had people over.  I also used it on the plane once when DS was 10 months, and it was great to have.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"