December 2010 Moms
Options

s/o sippy cups...

As I said in the post below, sippy cups confuse me.  I had the born free ones, but they were so big and heavy he wasn't able to hold them effectively.  So I went out and bought a tiny one (tommy tippee) but now he can't figure out how to drink from it.  So I tried to drink from it myself, and instead of liquid coming out when he bites on it, he would have to suck on it like a straw, and I think he just can't figure that out. 

So, any recommendations?  Preferably lightweight, with easier drinking thingy? He drinks from Medela bottles, if that matters at all.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg

Re: s/o sippy cups...

• Options

I find for training with sippy cups (at least with DD and some other kids I babysat), the soft-spouted ones aren't the best. Instead, buy a hard spouted one that has a removable valve (Playtex or Munchkin are the ones I know). Offer him the cup with water with the valve removed. He'll learn that every time he tips the cup up, water comes out. Eventually, he'll actively seek the water and try to suck. You'll notice when he starts to really get the hang of it because he'll get flooded. Then you can add the valve.

We just bought a straw cup (Playtex brand) that has handles and spots on the side to squeeze. If you squeeze it the liquid comes up the straw, to help them learn the straw brings liquid.

So far we haven't had much sippy cup success, but we just started 2 days ago.

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options

I've been confused, too.  I have several different kinds of sippy cups.  The ones that you tip and bite, the ones you tip, bite and suck, one with a straw, one with a straw you have to bite, one with a valve and one with just holes.  

Yea.  I kind of went overboard.  He doesn't get the tipping thing at all.  :( 

That seems like a good idea to give him one that the water could just pour out of, then he'd get the idea just to tip it.  Then once he gets the hang of it give him the ones that he has to suck/bite on.  I dunno, I think I'll try that with Jack.

I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

daycare suggests the soft spout Nuby ones.  But neither of my kids have liked those.  They just bite down and all the water flows out.  DS did the best with these gerber ones:

But I am having a hard time finding them this time.  So I got these Playtex ones for DD:

So far she just plays with it.  But once or twice she has grabbed DS's take and toss cups and gone to town.  So I may just go ahead and start her out on those.

• Options
    With DD, we taught her with the hard plastic cups with the valve removed. That worked pretty well. She caught on to straw cups much faster. We just skipped the spout cups for Asher for now and offered him a straw sippy. He figured it out right away. I think it's just easier, because they don't have to tip them. Both kids just played with the cup for a little bit the first time. Along with playing came biting and sucking, and they learned the concept pretty fast after that. DD didn't really get the concept of tipping and sucking the cup by herself until a little while after she turned 1. We just stuck with straw sippy cups until then.
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think LO has the munchkin one.  It was pretty cheap.  I first gave it to her when she was 5 months and she'd just spit the water out but now she's actually drinking it!!  I don't know how water comes out but I'm going to try now!
    Married 7/10/2009 * DD 12/2/2010 * DS 4/24/2014
    2 babies in heaven (mc)

Blog: ForLoveofCupcakes.com

• Options
    It took DS about a month and a half of being offered the sippy (Tommee Tippee) to actually "get it."  You can certainly try different brands but one day it might just click with him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just personal choice to what baby likes. My DD hated anything with hard spout like playtex and tomme tipee ( even if I would take the part that made it spill free out). She drank from the soft spouted NUK brand the first day with no problems. I just kept trying different ones.
  • Options

889_md_1.jpg

We got these Nuby starter sippys for Miles. He can drink REALLY easily from them. The only issue I have is that they don't have handles. He has a hard time lifting the cup up to sip from it. I wonder if handles would be easier for that.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Buy this Tommee Tippee cup:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11225530

It has a soft spout, and you can screw the top onto the small one you have with the handles (all their products are interchangeable).  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"