Working Moms

Have you used a career counselor?

I am frustrated in my current position for reasons that are inherent in the organization and won't change.  I'd like more responsibility, more pay and a shorter commute.  But, not more hours - thanks.  :) I guess a dream list of sorts. 

But, when I think about leaving my job to do practically the same thing for another company, it isn't all that appealing.  I am beginning to think I majored in the wrong thing (retail merchandising) and may not have any options.  Which, logically, I know is just not true.  I am thinking I might need someone to help look at this in a bigger picture manner, perhaps even someone to see what I have skills in and help me translate those to another field.  Which, I think would be a career coach or counselor - right?   Have you ever used a career coach or counselor?  Any thoughts or suggestions on whether or not to do this?  What did it cost you?  What time commitment was involved?  Were there books or other resources that might be helpful? 

Thank you for your help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Have you used a career counselor?

• I don't have any advice for you but am feeling the same way but don't know what to do about it so you are not alone! I've been working in the same industry (retail banking) for almost a decade and simply leaving my current job for another in the same field seems pointless. I'm looking forward to hearing from others.
  • I am trying to schedule a session with one.  My university's package for members of the alumni association allows for a free one hour session with a career counselor/coach. There are strong rumors that the facility I work in is going to close so I want to talk with her regarding job search strategies, what areas do my experience apply to, etc.

My problem is I love what I do and it is going to be hard to find the same exact type of work with another company so I want to see what else may be a good match for my skill-set.

I am not sure when I will get to talk to the counselor but will try to remember to post about the outcome of the free session when I complete it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"