Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Confused on toddler clothing sizes, 2T, 3T, etc.

DD is currently in 12-18 month clothes.  She will probably switch over to 24 month clothes in a month or so (around 15 months) as some of her 18 month stuff is getting a bit snug.  A few questions:

1.  Is 2T the same as 24 month?

2.  What size can I predict she may wear next summer?  How long is 2T supposed to last?  A year?  If I put her in 24 month clothes in a month, do you think she'd be a 3 T next summer?  

I found that her "month" clothes (0-3, etc.) all lasted about 3 months and she'd outgrow them about 1 month ahead.  She'll be outgrowing the 18 month clothes after about 4 months of wear.  So I'm confused  on how the T clothes work.  Do they really stay in one size for that long?!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Confused on toddler clothing sizes, 2T, 3T, etc.

• Options

I don't really know the answers to any of your questions, I'm sorry.

However, I have already decided (after having to put away some adorable outfits that were never worn) that I will not buy any season-specific clothes ahead of time.

The only things I would buy ahead are short-sleeved t-shirts, and that's only because they are worn year-round. Great for summer, and easy to layer for cooler weather.  No pants, no shorts, no sweaters or long-sleeved stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

2t and 24 months are almost the same, but 2T is longer. I'd suggest skipping the 24 month size and going straight to 2T. We found that out the hard way.

They grow much slower once they get into the 2T/ 3T sizes. I'd say she'll probably be in 3T next year, but you never know for sure! You might be getting a great deal buying clearance this year, but you might be getting a terrible deal if none of the clothes fit! It's really just 50/50!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

in my experience I have found that 2T tend to be a bit longer than 24 months but more slim fitting.....DS has been wearing 2T for many months but I am not even going to begin to make a prediction about next summer...I would assume that 2T is supposed to last awhile, DS has already been wearing it for several months and I know he will fit in it through the fall.....

good luck!! 

• Options

As far as 24month versus 2T, here's what I found: 

The experts (including our moms, of course) say to think of size 24M as something you would buy for an 18-24 month old. You probably don't want to buy that size for a child who is already 2 and will probably outgrow it fairly quickly.

Shirts in size 24M tends to be a bit shorter, moms report. Pants in that size are a little wider in the waist (to accommodate bulky diapers) and shorter legs. 24M pants also usually have elastic waists as opposed to snaps and zippers -- some may even have the snaps up and down the leg for easy diaper changes. 

• Options
    No 24 months is 18-24 months.  2T is 2-3  3T is 3-4. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options
    Great question and answers! I've been wondering this myself! My kid is already wearing up to 18 months!
  • Options

DS is a little peanut, but with a huge head.  He still wears 12M-18M bottoms, but his shirts are 2T to accomodate his gi-normous cranium.  Some of those are even getting hard to put on... have to cut slits in the neck openings.  EEK!

I sure hope his body catches up soon.  Stick out tongue

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It depends on the brand. For some 24m and 2T are equivalent. For some 2T comes after 24m. You need to look at the size chart (height and weight) to see where she falls. DD1 has always been really tall and fairly thin. She's off the charts for height and 75% for weight. She was able to stay in size 12-18 months through the start of the fall (late May birthday) just bc she was thin. She was in a mix of 18-24 month and 2T for late fall/winter/early spring. The summer she turned 2 years, she was in 3T. I just always buy bottoms with an adjustable waist band so they don't fall off her. Each toddler size has lasted about a year. At 5 years, she wears a girls size 6 or small (6/6X).
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

1.  Is 2T the same as 24 month? 24 months comes before 2T. It's considered 18-24 months, while 2T is roughly for 2 year olds, 3T for 3 year olds, etc.

2.  What size can I predict she may wear next summer? Probably a 2T. How long is 2T supposed to last? A year? Hypothetically they are in each size for a year. If I put her in 24 month clothes in a month, do you think she'd be a 3T next summer? Probably still 2T because she will likely not outgrow 24 months as quickly as the other sizes, but it's hard to say.

• Options
    Tegan's currently fitting into 18 month and 12-18 month clothes. For the winter I have a mixture of 18-24, 24 and 2T sized clothing. She has, at least, another couple months room for growth in her 18 month clothes. I'm planning on buying mostly 2T sized clothing for next summer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ToraniTorani member
    Unfortunately, you can't guarantee that her growth rate will stay the same.  DS was growing out of the 0-3, 3-6, etc right on schedule, but now at almost 20mo, he's still in 18mo clothes, and some of his shorts are still too big!
  • Options

Like everyone else said, 2T is longer than 24 month.

Don't count on "what size will she be by.....?" My DS is 21 months old. He's got a super long torso, and a pot belly but then he's got these skinny little hips and average legs. So he wears a 24 month on top, but his pants are too big even at 18 months. He can still wear 12 month shorts! Everyone keeps buying him these 2T and 3T outfits, figuring he can wear them soon, but I wouldn't bet on it.

You just never know.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"