May 2011 Moms

That reminds me, another problem: Forgot about bottles

So he took a bottle in the NICU, he took a bottle when nursing wasn't going so well in the first weeks, but once we got the hang of nursing, I didn't want to regress. It was also a really busy time, we moved across the country and have been renovating a house to move in to, so pumping just took a back seat. I have a freezer stash and no problem pumping, I just didn't make it a priority and nursed instead. 

But now he has forgotten how/refuses to take a bottle. I use the Tommy Tippee bottles, which he liked better than the hospital bottles when we got home. He won't take it at all. So I went back to the hospital bottles with I think it was a Nuk nipple, still no dice. I treat the bottle like the breast, run it under his nose until he opens, try to "latch" him on. He SCREAMS, "bites down" with his gums and ends up choking on any liquid that comes out. The taste of milk doesn't make him suck at all.

He was tongue tied when he was born and I really think there is something not quite normal about his "suck reflex", whether it has to do with the tongue-tie or not (its fixed now). He HATES pacifiers, all types, (much to my dismay and despite the nurses getting him to take one in the NICU) and I'm wondering if he thinks the bottle is the paci, but I don't know. 

I have a wedding first weekend in August...we are in the wedding so rehearsal dinner Friday and all day (and maybe overnight depending on how things go) Saturday with my mom. I'm starting to freak out, been trying to get him to take a bottle for a week now, no dice. I try to offer it to him before he gets too hungry while still calm, I've tried nursing him for a few minutes and then back to bottle, works a little but not for long. Any other tips (besides trying a bunch of other bottles, which I don't really want to spend the $ on and besides, he took them fine before!)?  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: That reminds me, another problem: Forgot about bottles

• kck329kck329 member

Have you tried letting someone else feed him? In the NICU and at home, my DD takes bottles best from anyone but me. When I'm feeding her she prefers the real thing and fusses the whole time if I try a bottle.

If you don't want to try other bottles, can you try other nipples? Maybe slower/faster flow would help?

• Thanks, I thought about that. I've been having DH try for this as well as the bonding reason in the post below, and also my grandma. I don't know what kind of flow would be better? They are the slowest right now, I think. I didn't put as much effort into researching as I should have, I guess, since breastfeeding was my goal! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • kck329kck329 member

Keep having other people try. As far as nipples go, if he is choking, he may need a slower flow but if he is getting frustrated he may need a faster one. You'll probably need to experiment. Also you may want to change the position you are feeding him in-did they teach you to feed side-lying in the NICU? That's the best way for DD.

If none of that works, I think you are going to have to try different bottles. I know its expensive but it may be your only option. DD hated the Tommee Tippees, she couldn't get the nipple figured out. She loves Dr Browns though.  Also, try feeding him before he's starving, he will have more patience that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"