Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Help me fatten my skinny vegetarian baby

13»

Re: Help me fatten my skinny vegetarian baby

• imagemeegie-lee:
    imagecndmexbaby:
    imagemeegie-lee:

Your pedi is probably pushing meat because along with being a good source of iron, your baby needs DHA, B vitamins, zinc, choline and a host of other vitamins and minerals that meat is a good source for.

This has nothing to do with weight gain, but are you supplementing your baby's food with these nutrients? They're vital for brain and nervous system development. It's no joke--not that I think you're taking it as one, but for vegan/veg babies it is very, very important that they get these nutrients. Research fully, not just vegetarian sources, about what foods babies can most easily obtain these nutrients from.

As for chunking up your baby, sweet potatoes with coconut butter/oil/pasture-based butter did the trick for my kid. 

Thank you for your concern. Yes we do research how to give her a balanced diet. 

So you mix the sweet potatoes with coconut butter? Now that sounds kinda yummy!

Sorry if it came off as overbearing! It wasn't my intention :)

And yes. Yams + coconut butter will be my food in heaven. 

Not at all! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have much advice as far as fattening her up but I do have a suggestion on the constipation.  I would take her to a chiropractor to get adjusted.  Many times misalignments in the spine can cause the bowels to not work well.  This is what I do for myself and my baby whenever either of us are constipated and it works well.  If that doesn't help then I would look into food allergies/sensitivities.  There has to be something that is causing it.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is us to a T minus the vegetarians.  I started by keeping a food journal to see what foods DD was eating and of what quantities.  I also started giving her brown rice cereal or oatmeal with at least two meals.  I tried to give her GOOD fats.  I didn't just want to fill her with carbs.  I also  per the pedi's suggestion mixed her cereal with formula for extra calories.  I didn't want to as she is EBF but I wanted to see if it was a gaining weight issue or just genetics.  DH was a small baby as am I and after 6 wks of what I called being on the weight watch list we were fine.  DD went from 2% in weight to 4%.  It was enough to ease the pedi's concerns. She said that where DD is at is part of her genetic potential.  I am getting used to it...long and lean.

Its tough to see SO may chubby babies and think that you are doing something wrong but if our LO's are developing, moving and doing other milestone things they are good.

• Late to the party!

How about edamame? It's fairly high in protein and healthy fats. My kids eat all kinds of it. Good luck with your mission!

PS. The whole egg is fine. There is new evidence to support giving the white as well. My guys love scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have seen a nutritionist a couple times for DS who also is super slow to put on weight.  Here's what she suggested: olives, olive oil into foods, melted butter into foods, yogurt, shredded cheeses, avocado, guac, cream cheese, probably more that I can't remember.  One that I like is that museli cereal thats oats, dried berries, and seeds.  I put it dry in the food processor until it's a powder then mix it with milk or yogurt.  GL!
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Super late to this thread, but DD was born at 7lb 10oz. and was consistently low in her percentiles (5-15%).  She was 13lbs 5 oz at 6 months. 

I don't have any other suggestions for food than what others mentioned.  We give her full fat yogurt, cheese, beans, chicken, turkey etc.  She's been crawling and pulling since around 6 months, and there is just no stopping her.  She does NOT sit still, so there isn't much more I can do, ya know?   She eats 3 solid meals per day and nurses still 5 times. 

We used to supplement with a bottle at night but she has since refused taking it.  I'll be honest I didn't read through all the replies, but I've heard of mixing a scoop of formula with her food for the extra calories/iron, but with the constipation issues I'd be careful of that.

The point of my ramble is that my baby is also a little squeak, but like yours she is ahead in her physical development, so I figure you just can't win them all.  She is fed, healthy, and thriving, as I'm sure yours is too, but you aren't alone in your worries!

• My cousin's older daughter just turned three in June, but did not get to 25 lbs until this year in April. Some babies are going to be tiny even when perfectly happy and healthy. I would try the avocado and the hummus, but unless your doc is worried about your LO, I would try and cut down on the worrying myself. You are taking good care of your baby. Maybe vegetarian is not the best way to go for a baby but is far from the worst, and it sounds like you are doing okay.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"