Health & Exercise

Interesting article - Mommyrexia

https://tinyurl.com/3uhc35v

Wow - I just read this article.  While I do think a small amount of women do obsess unnecessarily about weight gain during pregnancy,  I think the majority exercise safely.

Thoughts???

Re: Interesting article - Mommyrexia

• I think she is pissed that she probably gained a ton more than she intended during her own pregnancy(s) and has never gotten over it. I didn't drink an ounce of pop or soda diet or otherwise, during my pregnancy. It's not a time to load up on crappy food.
  • Here's the thing - especially if you weigh over 180 when you get PG..  They're on your butt like yellow on mustard if you put on too much weight at any given point in the pregnancy.  Heck, my appointment this past Monday, my OB said "Putting on a little weight I see"... Um - Dr. Ja Kass - I'm within my NORMAL FLUCTUATION bodyweight (you know, the weight you are most of the month and the weight you are when AF was coming by)..  I determined that this PG I was not going to change my diet or exercise habits because last time they were alarmed that I had lost weight and ended up gaining 90lbs. because my thyroid went .  85 of that stuck around because of the thyroid being missed by so many MD's..  I refuse to allow myself to go over 300lbs. pregnant or not and "deal with the consequences later" because the consequences would be immediate health risks. 

My take on it - it's an alarmist knee jerk reaction and not the case for all pregnant women, especially those at risk for GD. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I ate right, walked every day, alternated prenatal Pilates/weightlifting and swimming 3 days a week to simply keep up my calcium stores, help with flexibility, and prepare for childbirth. I didn't eat for 2, but I didn't obsess about my weight at all -- until my doc reamed me at my 6 month check-up for gaining 8 lbs in one month. He asked me what I'd been eating, and when I told him, asked my DH if I was sneaking food. He sent me home with a 1500 calorie diet "just as a suggestion" and fears about GD, a 9lb baby, and more. I went home, locked myself in the bathroom, and bawled my eyes out. It didn't make me eat less or work-out more, but it really affected me for the rest of my pregnancy. (I gained a total of 50lbs. I was 168, 5'7" the week before I found out I was pg.) 

imageimage 
    TTC #2: My chart
  • I think it is unhealthy to be on either extreme--the mommyrexics and the root beer floats for two.  How about leading a healthy lifestyle pregnant or not. 

I probably could have worked out more or skipped a snack or two but I think I did okay.  I gained about 45 lbs (5'6" started at 125 ish ended around 170).  My doctor suggested 28-38 lbs and I tried!  It does suck trying to lose it now!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"