Natural Birth
Options

Ext. version causing c-section?

So, I was just wanting to see what you thought about this. I have a friend who's baby is breech. I told her she should consider an ext. version as I heard that can turn the baby. She said she doesn't have a choice, she has to get one. But she said they can CAUSE c-sections and cause placenta detachment. Is this true? Or do you think they just want to section her regardless?

Re: Ext. version causing c-section?

• Options
    Yes it's true.  It can send the baby into distress and they would need to perform an emergency c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKristinmo:
    Yes it's true.  It can send the baby into distress and they would need to perform an emergency c-section.

It CAN, but it's extremely rare. Usually if a baby is not tolerating the version well, the OB stops pushing, gives mom some oxygen and the baby's heart rate goes back to normal. Some babies ARE breech for a reason, but many turn easily and with no problems.

Versions are generally considered to be a very safe procedure with a fairly high success rate (75+%).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Interesting. Well, I was just curious. We're not really on the same page as far as med. interventions/ sections go, so I'm not gonna bring it up again. I think the whole thing is stressing her out and she seems pretty comfortable with the thought of a section at this point either way. So we'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    kg_08kg_08 member

It's true. If the placenta detatches they would have to get the baby out very quickly. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they want to give her a c-section either way though.

They dont' always turn out badly though. A friend of mine had one between 37-38 weeks and everything was fine. Went into labor right on her due date and had a vaginal birth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I hope it turns out that way for her too!
  • Options
    Yes, that is true. If the baby goes into distress it needs to be delivered. I had a successful version at 37 weeks, but we had to go in for it prepared to bring a baby home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"