Single Parents
Options

Teen mom question - legal related

This is just out of pure curiosity, but why was Farrah denied SS benefits for Sophia when the DNA test proved that Derek was the father? She said something about Derek's mom never acknowledging that he was the father. I don't understand how/why that is relevant if the DNA proves it. Can someone who knows more about the law explain?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Teen mom question - legal related

• Options

I think it has something to do with Derek's mom stating that Derek did not state that Sophia was his daughter...that there was doubt in his mind.  So even though the paternity test found that he was the father...I believe SS wants proof that a parent-child relationship was established and if he did not admit before his death that he thought the baby was his and he did not provide support to farrah then that relationship is hard to prove

for SS survivor benefits, Sophia would be given 75% of what his SS would have been....but my question is...did he even qualify for SS because you have to have so many credits based on work history and wasnt he 18?? 

• Options
    imagehollyg1920:

.I believe SS wants proof that a parent-child relationship was established and if he did not admit before his death that he thought the baby was his and he did not provide support to farrah then that relationship is hard to prove

This is the part I don't understand, because what if he was alive and she was filing for child support? He wouldn't have to ever acknowledge a relationship or even have any contact with either of them if he chose not to, and he would still be required to pay child support. Maybe I am missing something but it doesn't make sense to me. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJNL$LSM:
    Yes, he did qualify it was like $200.00 something she would have recieved. Even though I am only 26 I have already worked enough to recieve SS benefits, God forbid something happens to me. If he was working since 15, it is possible to have a little something the $200.00. However, what I do not understand is if Derek never said anything, then why was she requesting for Grandparents rights. I would send that to SS showing that she does believe Sophia is her Granddaughter. The Grandmother just wants to be a butt!!!

I think his mom is just trying to use this as leverage to gain visitation. It's pretty crappy of her IMO. Why deprive your granddaughter of money she's entitled to just because you don't like her mom?

Little Lurky, born 2008
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Priss28King is wise.--"Lurky, you are so mean... but always so on point!" Mean Girls Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    imageJNL$LSM:
    imagelurkylulu2:

imageJNL$LSM:
    Yes, he did qualify it was like $200.00 something she would have recieved. Even though I am only 26 I have already worked enough to recieve SS benefits, God forbid something happens to me. If he was working since 15, it is possible to have a little something the $200.00. However, what I do not understand is if Derek never said anything, then why was she requesting for Grandparents rights. I would send that to SS showing that she does believe Sophia is her Granddaughter. The Grandmother just wants to be a butt!!!

I think his mom is just trying to use this as leverage to gain visitation. It's pretty crappy of her IMO. Why deprive your granddaughter of money she's entitled to just because you don't like her mom?

I hope Farrah sends that info to SS, which will show that she does believe this is Derick's child. I would also have his Dad and Step Mom send a signed affidavit staying he acknowledge this was his child. It is said it is on $200.00, however, you can see that she needs it. At first I did not like Farrah, but she has grown up A LOT!!! She really surprised me.

I agree that she has grown up a lot.

Little Lurky, born 2008
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Priss28King is wise.--"Lurky, you are so mean... but always so on point!" Mean Girls Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options

OK I rarely watch teen mom, but I know a little about SS benefits. From a legal stand point the father never has to acknowledge the child. All she has to do is appeal the decision. It can take several times to file for benefits before they are approved. If the grandmother and son were estranged it wouldn't make a difference. If she presses the matter she will get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"