Working Moms

Nannies

Do any of you have a nanny? We are looking for one and are trying to determine how much it would cost and its benefits/drawbacks.  DS has been in daycare but has been sick SO much. I get that he's a kid and it happens, but we are both teachers and being called out of school so frequently for a mild fever is killing us.  Emergency sub plans are tough to make. DH missed almost 20 days last year!

Anyways, if you have thoughts, please share! And if you feel comfortable - how much do you pay yours? I'm willing to ask for minimal cooking/cleaning to save on costs too. Pretty much playing with DS and taking care of his daytime needs.

TIA!

Re: Nannies

• I see you are in Michigan and so am I. we have a nanny and pay her $12 per hour, but that's for twins. The going rate is $10-$15 for the level of experience we were looking for.  I am so happy we went this route. Our kids have only had one cold their entire life, our nanny does all their laundry, changes sheets, washes their toys, makes their food, and does light housekeeping. Ours does go above and beyond and even cleans the bathrooms and kitchen once a week and sweeps/vacuums a couple times a week as well. Plus, she will do extra things if I ask (which I rarely do because I want her to focus on the kids). It is such a help to me! When I get home from work, I can solely focus on spending time with my kids and not worrying about chores.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • msm261msm261 member

We pay $240 for three days a week (7:30 to 3:45).  She is a sweet older woman who loves DS to death, but the house gets disgusting!  I don't make her vacuum etc., so all the crumbs and nastiness from the three days adds up.  Also, he doesn't get any peer interactions/leave the house.  Sometimes when I come home, I feel like he is upset that he was stuck in the house all day.  However, it is nice that I only pay her for the weeks I work (I'm in early intervention); whereas in daycare I will pay regardless.  

I am switching DS to daycare this fall, and although I am worried about the germs, I think he will be a happier kid overall.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • D&HMomD&HMom member

We pay our nanny a salary of $500 per week plus $40 for gas (she takes them to early year's programs, the library etc..).  She works from 7:30-5:30 although I am home most days at 5:15 and at least 2-3 days a week a grandparent comes by and lets her go home early.  We get more vacation than what we are required to pay her for so we play her less per week then what she actually works so she never has to miss a week's pay.

She 'maintains her work environment' by vaccuming the kitchen/family room and the babies room. Clean's the babies bathroom and does their laundry.

Best thing about the nanny is you control everything.  You say where they go, what they do, what they eat etc. and you don't have to get the out in the am.  Definately worth the extra $ in my opinion.  The kids have not been sick once since being in her care.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In these tough economic times, we?re all being cautious with our spending. Parents may be worried about hiring a nanny, thinking it?s too ?luxurious? in light of the current downturn. What you may not know is that hiring a nanny can actually save families money over other childcare options. Many parents debate the merits of hiring a nanny versus putting their children in daycare. If you have two or more children, it?s often more cost-effective to hire a nanny, as daycares charge per child and will be more expensive than paying a nanny to come to your home. With a nanny, parents don?t have to leave work - potentially missing a day?s pay - when their child is sick, like they would with day care. Your nanny can stay home with your children while you work. As an added benefit, you may have healthier children if you keep them out of daycare and away from other kids? germs. The economic downturn has everyone looking to cut costs whenever possible, so the concept of ?nanny sharing? has grown in popularity this year. There are several ?nanny sharing? scenarios, including having one nanny watch kids from several families simultaneously or having one nanny work part-time for two different families, spending a few days with each family. These options help reduce costs, while still providing the benefits of having a nanny.

Nannies4Hire.com?s database provides a list of nannies with a range of salary requirements, and we?re confident that we can find you a wonderful nanny that fits within your budget parameters. Salaries vary and depend on the nanny?s experience, duties, responsibilities, geographic location and more. For more information and to search our database, visit Nannies4hire.com.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"