Two Under 2

Is anyone moving #1 to a toddler bed when #2 comes?

Silvie will be 14 months when #2 arrives, and we'll keep the new baby in the PNP in our room for a few months. I'm wondering if 17-18 months is old enough to move Silvie to a toddler bed? Opinions or experience??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Is anyone moving #1 to a toddler bed when #2 comes?

• I think it all depends on the individual child.

We moved DD into a toddler bed at 15 months and she did great with it! This time around we'll be getting another crib because I just don't think that DS will be ready. Plus, DS1 and DS2 will be sharing a room and I don't want DS1 to be able to get out of bed and bug DS2.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I posted about this a while earlier. We decided to wait and see if DS is into it around then. We bedshared with him until he was 6 months and then moved him to his crib and we'll do the same thing with LO#2. So if he's not into the idea of the toddler bed, then we'll have about 6 months to let him ease into it.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We moved DD at 21 mos and she did fine. I think we actually could have moved her earlier. We bought an Ikea adjustable bed and a separate rail, with the rail up, she can't get out of it on her own (well, she can if she really climbs, but it's not easy. We also did the transition after we visited my grandparents, so she was already out of the habit of sleeping in her crib.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • It will all depend on the child and your personal preference. I know a lot of people prefer to have their toddler confined to a crib, but I never quite understood this mentality. We keep a gate on the door and there's not a whole lot DS can get into, besides opening some drawers and getting clothes out. Plus, as soon as he wakes up the monitor clicks on.

Personally, I'd wait until LO gets here then make the decision. We never needed a 2nd crib and my 2 are 12.5 months apart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We moved DS to a toddler bed at 18 months, right before DD arrived.  He did great with the transition.  His pedi recommended we keep him in the crib so that he wouldn't roam around at night, but he was never one to try and get out of his crib when he still slept in it.  We didn't want to buy another crib, and I certainly didn't want to be in a situation where he would be in the crib and I wouldn't be able to get him out because of my lifting restrictions from having a c-section.  You know your child best, so do what feels right!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I moved my former step-daughter into a toddler bed when she was 18 months and she did great.   My daughter may be a different story.

She's more adventurous than my former step-daughter was.

I would agree with the PP that it depends on the child.  We'll just cross that bridge when we come to it.

I will say, though, that this time around I think I'm going to put the new baby in his/her crib in their nursery from day 1.  We co-slept with my daughter until she was 5 months, and I found that we did not enjoy it at all. She didn't sleep well and neither did we.  We were all much happier when she moved into her own room.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We are moving DD (who will be 29 months) in a couple months from now so baby #3 can have her crib.

But DD was 14 months old when DS was born and NO WHERE NEAR ready to go to a toddler bed. She couldn't even walk yet, let alone climb in and out of bed. She would just fall, I'm sure.

I would highly recommend getting a new crib for your new baby. It's probably going to be better all around (safer for your #1, and no rush).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • DS is 20 months and still very happy in his crib. We have no intentions of transitioning his crib to a toddler bed any time soon. I would imagine having a new sibling might be a big enough transition as it is. Of course, it all depends on the LO. Some are just ready earlier then others.
    Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"