Natural Birth

Opinion needed: anti birthplan letter from doctor?!

Had my first appointment with the new doctor today.  Switched doc's to be closer to home for L&D.  Didn't have any discussion about natural birth yet, it was pretty much a medical history review, in and out visit.  But they gave me a packet of info to take home, and in it was this letter.  Please read below and give me your opinion!    What do you think about this?

To Our Patients:

Re: Birth Plans

We understand and empathize with your desire to have as natural and as comfortable a bith possible.  We will do whatever we can to insure that you have a birth experience that is emotionally fulfilling and meets the needs of both you and your baby.  However, a large part of a good birth experience is having trust in your physician, and your physician's judgement.  With this in mind, we DO NOT ACCEPT birth plans of any type.
Becoming a parent means becoming flexible, and open to changing situations and needs.  This begins with labor and delivery, which is an event that cannot be predicted or "scripted", As your doctors, we need to be able to provide the care that will lead to the best outcome and the safest delivery.  While we are open to your suggestions and requests, and are glad to work with you on things that are important to you.  However, pre-written birth plans frequently contain instructions that are counter to good medical practice and leads to unrealistic expectations.   Please realize that, as lovely and idealistic as they may sound, birth plans are bad medicine; we do not accept them.

OK is it just me or does this sound harsh?  I understand written birth plans can get lenghty, and maybe they decided not to accept them which is ok.  But the letter sounds downright angry to me.  Natural Birth mommies Opinions please? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Opinion needed: anti birthplan letter from doctor?!

• I don't like the sound of that at all.  It's very confrontational.  You need someone who will work with you, not immediately tell you what they will and will not "allow" or "accept." I understand that a few people do write ridiculous birth plans, but that shouldn't be a reason for them to ban all of them.  My suggestion would  be to run away as quickly as you can!

Do you know anyone who has had a natural birth who could recommend a provider?  Do you have a Bradley or Hypnobabies teacher you could ask?  Maybe even ask your local ICAN chapter for recommendations. 

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can understand why they may not like them but that is not really taking your wishs into account I would run fast.  My provider gave me a birthplan that was full of options and coverd everything you just checked what order you would perfer they do things with no garentee but at least they knew and could try to make me happy
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• Loading the player...
  • I also do not like the sound/tone of the letter. Do you know the c-section/induction rates, etc of this practice? Is there a midwife associated with your delivery location that may be more open to your wishes?
    imageimage
  • "Birth plans are bad medicine; we do not accept them" is jaw dropping.  Bad medicine?  How is laying out your wishes for how procedures and decisions are made regarding your own body bad medicine?  To me, this letter basically translates to:  "Don't question us or our decisions because we know best and you know nothing." 

I'd be apt to call them up and tell them that you'll be finding care elsewhere based solely on their inflexibility (which ironically is what they are saying mothers with birth plans are being) regarding birth and your wishes. 

• That's Carp...imo. Birth Plans in their eyes might be "bad medicine"...but many would argue that today's "medicine" has gotten in the way of healthy, normal labors. Seeing as physicians are usually only there at the very, very end to catch the baby, and leave again soon after the first stats are taken,what do they really care? 95% of my labor was with nurses who were very good at helping me stick to my birth plan wishes whenever possible. Of course things can go off course and you may not get your ideal...but that's no reason to throw out everything!

Why didn't they just include a sample of what they think of as a good, realistic concise birthplan...instead of being all we-know-everything-and-you-don't-know-a-thing? Or offer to go over your birth plan ahead of time with you (like my OB did) so you know what to expect and where to prepare mentally to be flexible?

No way would I trust them with my care, if that's the attitude they have about your wishes.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • no thank you.

no thank you at all. i'd find another doctor, but before I left this one I'd make sure they knew how I felt.

a birth plan that demans satin sheets and the perfect music playing are silly. and women who refuse to realize their plan may have to change are setting themselves up for some let down. BUT... a plan is just that. it's a plan. it's plan A. its what we're hoping for. it's a "wish list" so to speak. and many, many of the things on our list CAN and SHOULD be met by our doctors and staff.

they say they are "willing" to listen to your requests and needs, but they don't want it written down? so they dont want time to prepare? no actually i'd imagine they dont want anything in writing that might be held against them at some point if they end up NOT following your simple requests. i'd run far away.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemagpiebride61210:

no thank you.

no thank you at all. i'd find another doctor, but before I left this one I'd make sure they knew how I felt.

a birth plan that demans satin sheets and the perfect music playing are silly. and women who refuse to realize their plan may have to change are setting themselves up for some let down. BUT... a plan is just that. it's a plan. it's plan A. its what we're hoping for. it's a "wish list" so to speak. and many, many of the things on our list CAN and SHOULD be met by our doctors and staff.

they say they are "willing" to listen to your requests and needs, but they don't want it written down? so they dont want time to prepare? no actually i'd imagine they dont want anything in writing that might be held against them at some point if they end up NOT following your simple requests. i'd run far away.

this!

I would wave goodbye and also let them know what I think, come on we are adults, we should be able to make choices specially in the birth of our children, if I say no epi, I mean no epi, don't try to trick me into it, help me through it!
    Sounds like they are just going to want to do it their way and no other way...run if you really do want a natural birth

BabyFetus Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • Um. Hell_no. I would never in a million years use that doc. Sounds to me like they fully expect you to go along with whatever they want to do without asking any questions or objecting. I would be willing to bet anything that if you use them there's ZERO chance of having a natural birth (if that's what you want). 
    image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • I really dislike the "becoming a parent" part. Who are they to tell anyone what it means to be a parent?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • This is what they are saying:

To Our Patients:

We do not understand nor empathize with your desire to have as natural and as comfortable a bith possible.  We will do whatever we can to insure that you have a birth experience that is emotionally fulfilling and meets the needs of both you and your baby,  me and the hospital staff.  However, a large part of a good birth experience is having blind faith trust in your physician, and your physician's judgement.  With this in mind, we DO NOT ACCEPT birth plans of any type, except OURS.
    Becoming a parent means becoming flexible not opinionated, and open to changing situations and needs, which there will be once we start messing with you.  This begins with labor and delivery, which is an event that cannot be predicted or "scripted", and clearly, if you have any ideas as to what you want your birth to be like, that means you are trying to predict and ?script? everything. As your doctors, we need to be able to provide the care that will lead to the best outcome and the safest fastest delivery.  While we are open to your suggestions and requests, and are glad to work with you on things that are important to you, but we will belittle you and mock your choices behind your back (maybe even to your face), and feel the need to remind you that there?s no medal for getting an epidural.  However, pre-written birth plans frequently contain instructions that are counter to good medical practice what we normally like to do and leads to unrealistic expectations.   Please realize that, as lovely and idealistic as they may sound, birth plans are bad medicine; we do not accept them, as they could hold us accountable for things, and we don?t want that, now do we. Be a good little girl and sign here.

I remember seeing a similar response to an anti birth plan letter on a blog a while back.

That letter is much less flexible than any birth plan I've come across. I would run far far away from that hospital if you want a drug free birth.

• " However, pre-written birth plans frequently contain instructions that are counter to good medical practice and leads to unrealistic expectations. "

I would want to have a lengthy discussion around this statement of theirs.

What are there specific examples of this? Do they mean not having an epidural? Requesting skin to skin contact immediately after birth?  

I've seen plenty of birth plans that detail a lot of requests that were things I simply didn't care about, or things that I would not choose for myself purely because of my own personal wants, but I have never seen a birth plan that involved anything I considered counter to good medicine.

I understand I'm not a medical professional, which is why I would want their view explained to me, and I would listen very carefully to their answer because quite frankly I call BS on that statement.

But yes I agree that they sound very confrontational and angry and the entire tone counter's their claims that they want to provide a fulfilling birth experience. 

ETA:

If they really cared about your wants but they had had some negative experience with birth plans, their letter would read something along the lines of:

"Sometimes birth plans do not reflect best practice, and some mother's have expectations we are unable to meet; for this reason it is important you discuss your birth plan with us well in advance.

This way we can discuss your concerns before labour and create the best plan as a team."

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• "Bad medicine" is not using your patient as your guide.  Screw that place!  

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • Run far away from that practice.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • WOW! No way on earth would I stay with that practice! I would also send them an email/letter expressing your displeasure with the tone of that letter. Ew...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would switch right away.  If they are handing all their patients this letter, there really is no wiggle room for discussion. 

::sigh:: What really kills me is that most of their patients probably don't even question this practice.  Sad. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Yet another example of how doctors have made the natural process of giving birth a medical process. You are not sick, you do not need to be delivered. You want to give birth.

Dump the doc. This is bad news. 

• They are saying that they know whats best for you and that you don't know jack. This doc doesn't want his ego being messed with, RUN. RUN away now.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • Find a new provider!!!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Run. Run far away and never look back.
    imageimageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Ditto everyone else. That letter gave me chills.

• Thanks all, I really agree with what all of you said.  I am 6 mos preg at this point and just worried about finding where I can go.  I am very researched on the topic and this is not my first baby so I am very educated and in tune with natural method.  Unfortunately where I live I do not have access to birthing centers or natural birth centers.  It is just hospitals.  So I figured the lesser evil of choosing a hospital would be choosing one close to home so I can do the majority of my laboring at home and then get to the hospital.  From what I can see the hospitals I have checked out all have the same attitude favoring medical intervention and looking down on mother being in control of how her birth plays out.  Home birth is not an option for me.  I don't know what to do.  This latest hospital I have switched to is close to home, and they DO have good statistics as far as lower cesarean rates, etc.  However, I am still worried that they will not like my preferences.  Which is basically no Pitocin, no epi, natural birth with preferred no episiotomy.  I also refuse the Vitamin K shot and eye ointment.  I did it with my first son, but they gave me a really hard time about it at the hospital to the point they had many people in my room who were trying to talk me into it.  I know it is my right to just sign a waiver form.  Sorry for rambling.  I already have a feeling this new hospital is going to put up a fight, so I want to get it all out of the way ahead of time and have a peaceful birth. I hope and pray to find a way to have a natural birth with doctors who will be more understanding of my wishes.  I know they will see me as difficult, but I don't think I am really asking that much!   I am not sure how to find a place or a the right doctor where I can go.  Do I check ICAN?  or other groups?  even a google search not really helping me.
  • I like this.  you summed up how I felt when I was reading it.  I need to talk to somebody at the hospital about this letter, because without a person to person talk, at the end of the day I dont even know who at the practice WROTE this letter, but whoever it was seemed to have meant what you put "in between the lines"

imagestar173:

This is what they are saying:

To Our Patients:

We do not understand nor empathize with your desire to have as natural and as comfortable a bith possible.  We will do whatever we can to insure that you have a birth experience that is emotionally fulfilling and meets the needs of both you and your baby,  me and the hospital staff.  However, a large part of a good birth experience is having blind faith trust in your physician, and your physician's judgement.  With this in mind, we DO NOT ACCEPT birth plans of any type, except OURS.
    Becoming a parent means becoming flexible not opinionated, and open to changing situations and needs, which there will be once we start messing with you.  This begins with labor and delivery, which is an event that cannot be predicted or "scripted", and clearly, if you have any ideas as to what you want your birth to be like, that means you are trying to predict and ?script? everything. As your doctors, we need to be able to provide the care that will lead to the best outcome and the safest fastest delivery.  While we are open to your suggestions and requests, and are glad to work with you on things that are important to you, but we will belittle you and mock your choices behind your back (maybe even to your face), and feel the need to remind you that there?s no medal for getting an epidural.  However, pre-written birth plans frequently contain instructions that are counter to good medical practice what we normally like to do and leads to unrealistic expectations.   Please realize that, as lovely and idealistic as they may sound, birth plans are bad medicine; we do not accept them, as they could hold us accountable for things, and we don?t want that, now do we. Be a good little girl and sign here.

I remember seeing a similar response to an anti birth plan letter on a blog a while back.

That letter is much less flexible than any birth plan I've come across. I would run far far away from that hospital if you want a drug free birth.

• Are there any midwives with hospital privileges in your area? That might be your best bet of having a provider who is supportive of your natural birth.
  • imagelalavvv:
    I am not sure how to find a place or a the right doctor where I can go.  Do I check ICAN?  or other groups?  even a google search not really helping me.
    Yes, check to see if you have a local ICAN group and ask the leader for suggestions.  Also, you can try your local La Leche League and see if they can offer some insight.  Basically, try any group that is centered around children and you should find someone who can offer you some options and insight.

If you do choose to stay with this provider, I think you owe it to yourself to let the doctors know how you fundamentally disagree with their letter and the tone in which it was conveyed.  They need to know that you will not be a patient who will allow them to make the decisions.  YOU will make the decisions after discussion with them, not the other way around.  

• If you are determined to stay with this practice I would encourage you to do two things:

1) Talk to your doctor about this letter.  Let him/her know how much the tone of it has turned you off.  Start off by saying that you completely understand that birth cannot be planned or scripted, but that you feel comfortable and empowered as a patient by including a small checklist of birth preferences.  There is a world of difference between "No Pitocin" and "I would prefer my labor to remain unaugmented unless there is a medical indication and I am given time to discuss other methods with my provider".  It might not hurt to bring in a early version of what you want on your birth plan to an appointment to gauge how your preferences mesh with your OBs (I'm guessing that there will be a lot of disagreement).

2) Hire a doula and share your birth plan with her.  She can't make decisions for you when the time comes, but she can help to remind you (and your doctor) of your preferences.

If neither of these options appeal to you, I would seriously consider switching practices. 

• Pretty much every bullet point on my birth plan started with "In the absence of medical necessity, we would like ..." Hardly bad medicine or dogma there.

That letter really makes me nervous. I suppose it would be worth a conversation with the OB ... go in with a birth plan template and see how it goes. I don't understand what their opposition is. They allow you to have preferences but don't want you to put them in writing? It's not like your OB has to sign your birth plan in his own blood. It just really sounds like an office who doesn't want to be inconvenienced by your birth preferences. They don't want any push back when they schedule you for your 41-week induction, they don't want you to be laboring in the hospital for longer than "appropriate," and they don't want you to be one of those people who wants to move around during labor, eat/drink and just generally get in the way. There have to be other options for you. If not, I'd drive somewhere to have better options, honestly.

• The tone of that letter would make me very nervous.  I would be hunting for a new practice.
  • I would try calling the hospital maternity ward and find out what their policies are and ask the nurses which docs are really going to accommodate both them and you.  Chances are that if they have a lower cesarean rate that they do have a provider or three that they work with that will be more accommodating for you. You might also ask the maternity nurse if they only use on call doctors, or if they allow private practices privileges at their hospital. The trend here is to only allow the on-call docs to deliver you no matter what due to cost and scheduling. Another thought is to look on the hospital website for a list of doctors who deliver.  At the very least, you could spend a morning on the phone finding out if anyone is less standoffish than the practice who gave you a 'we don't do birth plans' letter.  I live in a pretty rural area where there are only a few hospitals who deliver and NONE are close, or incredibly natural birth friendly.  
  • OMG NO! I would never go to someone who thinks and talks to me like that! That is just so wrong! Find a midwife.
  • I'm quoting my parents who are both midwives with years of experience in both hospital and birth center settings...

"Run from this practice! It is beyond ridiculous that they refuse to accept or discuss a birth plan with patients. Birth plans should be a tool for negotiation and discussion. This is your birth. It is not about what they will PERMIT you to do. There is absolutely no evidence that birth plans are bad medicine. Doctors with attitudes like this want to be able to tell you what to do and dictate how your labor will go without having to discuss every option and risk/benefits with you. Run. Seriously."

Hope that helps.

• "Bad medicine..."  Wow, I am floored.  Even if I was someone who had no preconceived ideas of what I wanted or no plans to draft a birth plan, that tone would turn me off.  As it stands, it terrifies me.  Best of luck with the rest of your journey...keep us posted on this practice (maybe they are more flexible in person than in the letter???) or hopefully on your search for someone else.  GL!
    ~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow.  Honestly, as a patient, I'd be really offended by that letter.  Saying that what I'm going to put into my birth plan is "bad medicine"?  Telling me what it means to be a parent?  Yeah, I wouldn't want to work with a doctor who was so disrespectful.

I totally understand wanting to limit people's three-page "I want a masseuse and a labor which is exactly six hours long and painless" (aka unrealistic) birth plans, but do they really not want people to think about things like pain management or newborn bonding ahead of time?

• Boo that!  My dr is very proactive about doing what's best for the baby right away.  I've been rushed off from regular appts to surgery, but even he is open to the ideas of midwife births and natural plans.  He (and my hospital) requests a birth plan from patients and have statements they do their best to make sure you have as close to the experience you want as possible.  There are true emergencies though and you do have to trust your dr in some degree to take care of you then.  But to me It sounds like this place doesn't want to take the time to fool with your birthplan which to me indicates they won't take time even try to meet the expectations you had planned.  My dr sits down with patients and discusses their birth plans far in advance.  So were there any "unrealistic expectations" we would work those out then.   

Everyone has to understand that birth plans are just that, a plan, not a rule written in stone.  Situations do change but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a plan.  I would be very concerned about this letter and using this practice, natural birth or not. 

• That would really bother me. I would find a different practice if at all possible. I started looking for a different practice when I was 16w because my original practice was too high-intervention and too dismissive of patients' desires for a natural birth. The OB and hospital I ended up with were wonderful though. When I went to interview the OB, I took in the "ideal" version of my birth plan, knowing a lot of OBs would resist much of it because of the twin factor, and he agreed with almost every point as reasonable. The hospital staff were all great about reading and following my birth plan without me even mentioning it was there. I'd keep looking if you can.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Delivering with this doc spells trouble!! I'd run away, and fast.

But, let's say they are the only doc in the area. My first question at the next appt would be "I read your letter addressing birth plans and wanted to find out what "instructions" you have come across that are counter to good medical practice?" Their answers will be very illuminating. And if they give a vague answer, I'd specifically ask about the 3 or 4 most important things that would be on your birth plan. If they think refusing pit is counter to "good medical practice", I would RUN away. If they think that refusing a hep lock is unacceptable, I'd consider if taking a hep lock to appease your doc is a major hindrance to your birth (It was not for me, and I feel is a bit of a gesture of good faith that I'll try to be a cooperative crunchy birthing mama). 

It's the use of condescending terms like "lovely and idealistic" and "bad medicine" that are most alarming to me. I didn't need any medicine or medical care in either of my births. Insurance wanted me to have an OB or MW catch my baby, so I let someone do so. However, medical care didn't enter into the equation. 

imagelalavvv:

However, pre-written birth plans frequently contain instructions that are counter to good medical practice and leads to unrealistic expectations.   Please realize that, as lovely and idealistic as they may sound, birth plans are bad medicine; we do not accept them.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
    221_-6_Little Charlotte is.png" alt="baby" border="0" />
  • I don't think it's that bad personally. It's got to be frustrating from an OB's point of view too. As an OB you're instantly not trusted by any patient who wants a natural birth. At least 90% of the time. Even if you are supportive of natural births. I also think birth plans can be helpful and yet hurtful at the same time. Like how they explain it in Birthing From Within, it's not a good idea to be absolutely hell bent on a birth plan because realistically birth is INSANELY unpredictable. Some women do obsess over their birth plans and if one little thing goes wrong they flip out. It may not be worded the best, but I can certainly understand where they're coming from.
  • While it does sound pretty harsh, and I would probably at least consider switching doctors...you do have to look at it from the other side.  There is likely a good reason why they include this letter in their packet to EVERY patient.  Perhaps there has been one or more lawsuits in the past b/c someone's birth plan wasn't followed.  I don't know, I just think for a doctor to go as far as to include this in the general info packet (and not just wait until it's brought up at an appt) there must be some drastic event that prompted it.  And let's all be honest, some birth plans are kinda confrontational as well...
  • So basically this MD is saying that you really will have no control over your body and decisions during this process, that is so important to you, and bringing your little one into the world.  Its very disempowering and disheartening that this MD has the audacity to say this to patients.  You have a right to have a birth plan!  It seems as though he/she is saying that all of us women are uneducated about the birth process so all of our desires are counterproductive, which is bull crap!  This MD should work with you to develop  a birth plan he/she feels is realistic rather than insult you as a woman!  I would walk away, find a midwife and never look back.  Just saying!  Remeber MD's are trained to cure disease and fix problems, not really trained anymore in prevention medicine and allowing natural processes to occur, ie:  birth!
  • That would be a no-go for me. It feels like my rights as a patient have been taken away before I have even started.

I appreciate the honesty but that would be a red flag for me that this it he direction I personally would not want to be heading. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"