Special Needs

Does this sound like ASD?

My DS is 15 months old. When I took him to the dr. last week for his check up, I voiced my concerns about his lack of social skills. He says one word which is mama and that just started a few weeks ago. He will play with his sister on occasion, but only if they are chasing one another, never to sit down and play with a toy with her. When we are around other children, he just does his own thing and doesn't interact with the other kids. He hardly babbles at all, but makes likes of grunting and groaning sounds. He doesn't seem to understand when we ask him to do something, even something as simple as where's the ball or get your shoes. He also doesn't point to anything which I find a little odd at this age. And probably 90% of the time he doesn't come when we call his name or even acknowledge us.

Aside from this though, he is a very affectionate child. Always wanting to cuddle, he often hugs and kisses us. And he does gesture throughout the day to be picked up. He is always smiling and very happy and will engage in games like peek a boo with us.

The doctor wants to keep an eye on him and we will re-evaluate at 18 months, but he thinks it is probably normal. We definitely have not spent the time working with him like we did with my daughter just because its much harder with the two of them.

Since I know absolutely nothing about ASD, I was hoping someone could offer some insight. Three months seems so far away when you're concerned about your child.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does this sound like ASD?

• I'm not an expert, but it sounds like your DS has several red flags- such as not pointing and not responding to name (by 12 months). Not babbling by 12 months is also a red flag, and it sounds like your guy has some babbling issues. Personally, I would not wait to have him evaluated. My DS also showed some signs and I insisted on having him evaluated- and he was diagnosed at 14 months with PDD-NOS. He nows gets ABA therapy everyday, and he is making tons of progress. Everyone told me I was overreacting, but I think a mother knows if something is off. Trust your gut- early intervention is really important.  

• Maybe or maybe not. Trust your gut, get an evaluation.

Here is a good website: https://www.firstsigns.org/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"