High-Risk Pregnancy

Heparin injection sites - kinda hard and sore

I just switched last week to heparin 2x a day and I switch sides on my stomach each injection but I am now noticing that I have a sore kinda of hard spot on the left side since switching to heparin...is this normal? Should I call the doctor to let him know?

Anyone else experience this after switching to heparin?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Heparin injection sites - kinda hard and sore

• CHI-06CHI-06 member

I start Heparin tomorrow but did have something similar when I was on it last time.  It got hard under the skin and also red around the injection site.  I thought I was allergic to it and went to the Dr.  They didn't seem concerned though and just told me to avoid that side for awhile and it did clear up and I was fine on Heparin the rest of my pregnancy.

I have done other shots as well and have had the hardness under the skin at the injection site for others as well.  I just avoid injecting in that same spot until it goes away.

Hope that helps.

Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • I have the hard spots as well from the heparin. Its hard to avoid the hard spots when you have been taking them since the beginning of pregnancy so I started going a little further out on my stomach kind of towards my sides. I have found that injecting more on the sides that it hurts less. I cannot wait to be off of Heparin! Good luck to you.

Can I as why you're taking them?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Its hard to find a spot on my stomach and I usually go for the love handles since I cant really go anywhere else i guess ill try going up or down a bit. Thanks!!

Factor V Leiden is why they put me on thinners.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • you can do them in your thighs, too.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I experienced that at the beginning with Lovenox.  It went away, so I don't even think I mentioned it to my doctor.  It could be from the medication kind of pooling in one spot.  Has it happened multiple times?
    Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
    BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
    BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
    Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
    Currently TTC Baby #3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"