Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Ergo Carrier owners

When did you stop using the insert with your lo's.  I hate it, but dd is not even 8lbs yet. 
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image

Re: Ergo Carrier owners

• Their website says that they recommend that you use the infant insert until your baby has complete control of his/her head - around 4-5 months of age. I really like my Ergo carrier, but it's too hot to use outside right now with the infant insert, so I bought a Baby Hawk Mei Tei to use for the summer.
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Good question!  My DS is probably just 8lbs or a little over right now and I cannot wait until I don't have to use the insert anymore.
  • Loading the player...
  • I never used it.  We just folded up a receiving blanket in the bottom and it worked great.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemarch2008:
    Their website says that they recommend that you use the infant insert until your baby has complete control of his/her head - around 4-5 months of age. I really like my Ergo carrier, but it's too hot to use outside right now with the infant insert, so I bought a Baby Hawk Mei Tei to use for the summer.

just googled this-  can i ask what the difference between the mei tai and ergo is?  They look very similar? 

image image
  • imageShelleybell:

imagemarch2008:
    Their website says that they recommend that you use the infant insert until your baby has complete control of his/her head - around 4-5 months of age. I really like my Ergo carrier, but it's too hot to use outside right now with the infant insert, so I bought a Baby Hawk Mei Tei to use for the summer.

just googled this-  can i ask what the difference between the mei tai and ergo is?  They look very similar? 

The most important difference for me is that I don't have to use a special infant insert with the Baby Hawk Mei Tai. DD has been able to sit in it with her legs in the natural froggy style position. The material is a lot thinner and cooler for the hot weather we have here in FL.

I really love my Ergo. I think it's more comfortable than the Mei Tai and I will definitely switch back to it once LO doesn't have to use the infant insert anymore b/c she cooks like a turkey inside of that thing if I try to wear her outside in it. :)

Here is the one I have, but there are a lot of similar versions from different companies:

BabyHawk Mei Tai Baby Carrier 

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • imageiris427:
    I never used it.  We just folded up a receiving blanket in the bottom and it worked great.

This exactly! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I only used the infant insert once or twice because it's too hot for it. I actually got the suggestion from someone on here that instead of using the insert put baby's legs in froggy position and snuggle them up on your chest. The bottom of the carrier goes around your waist more than your hips, so that the top is behind baby's head.
  • I've been using a mei tai as well for when he's small. I'm going to try to Ergo out for a walk today as I think he's growing into it. The carrier support his head, so I'm not really worried about an insert or a blanket at this point. I'm starting to put his legs out in either carrier as he's getting long for froggied legs.

I found the mei tai let me tie him more securely and close to my body and provided good support for his head. The Ergo just isn't as adjustable.

• We've also been using the Baby Bjorn while we're waiting to use our Ergo.  I've heard the Ergo is so much better though!!!
  • thanks for the tips!! I just used a receiving blanket at the bottom instead of the insert and it was 100 times better.  FWIW my DD is about 7lbs 11oz and 20 inches long.  She was sitting froggy style.  Another thing to return for me :)

image image
  • I only started using the ergo without the insert at about 10/11 weeks when my baby had decent head control and was bigger (about 11-12 lbs at the time).  Right now she is 3 months and 14 lbs but I still don't think she would be comfortable pulling her legs through the sides so I use the bottom part of the insert only for her butt!

• I had DS's legs out on our walk today - he's about 22.5 inches and 13 lb. He was fine without the insert and without a blanket. I even had it checked by a babywearing educator. Wink

The Ergo was a bit more comfy than my mei tai - it has better hip support.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"