Special Needs

MRI for 8 month old?

We went to the ped neurologist yesterday to see if DD2 needed a helmet. She's had torticollis, and got some flatness. He wasn't worried about that...but noticed some other problems. She does some weird things with her hands, toes, and her eyes. She was born with the umbilical wrapped around her neck, so maybe there was some damage. So, she's scheduled for a MRI (with anesthesia) next week to see what's going on. I'm just worried about the whole situation. Anyone have any experience with a baby this young? 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: MRI for 8 month old?

• My daughter had her first MRI at 3 days old.  I think that you will find many parents on here whose LOs have had early MRIs. 

Here are several threads that might help ease your worries about the process:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/54655317.aspx

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/51074991.aspx

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/55495274.aspx

• Hi,

My son had one under general anesthesia (along w/a CT scan) at 9 mos.  He recovered very quickly, and was back to himself the next day.

• Loading the player...
  • DD just had an MRI two days ago while admitted for seizures.  She did just fine and even with being loaded up the day before with a seizure med that knocked her out for 24 hours, she did well after the anesthesia and is not 100% back to herself.  

Scary time... stay strong and good luck!  Sending positive thoughts for good results your way!

ETA: She's 5 months.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter's MRI was at 9 months.  She was scheduled for 8:30 and went in around 9.  We woke her up as late as we could to give her a bottle and then she was really good while waiting.  We just tried to play with her to keep her entertained and she really didn't cry except when they put the IV in.  It was nerve wracking but the process wasn't as terrible as we thought it would be.  Good luck!
  • Nate has had three MRIs. First one at 3 days old, one at 6 months and the last one was about two weeks ago. He has been back to himself pretty quickly once we recovered in the PICU.

They may give your LO a bit of gas to knock them out first before they put the IV in. This was a little bit difficult for me the last time because the gas is sort of stinky and Nate also started crying. So you have to tough it out for a few seconds before they pass out. It was nice they let me be there, but a bit tough on my heartstrings.

Good Luck!

P.S. Thanks JustInLove for posting those links!

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• DS2 had a sedated MRI at 10mos old. Everything went very well. The MRI took 30-40min, we were paged, and we went back to the recovery room (or whatever it is called - same room he was in prior to the procedure). He woke up after about 10min, after a certain amount of time we were allowed to give him his bottle, he didn't throw it up, and we were good to go. I had the results the following day.
  • Thank you!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • No words of wisdom here but I wanted to say we are going to be going through the same thing next Thursday. My DD2 is 6 months old and I am nervous for them to sedate her. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    DD Braelyn 12/12/06 DD Tiana 1/06/11
  • DD had one at 2.5 months. She did just great and there were no complications. I know it can be very scary but in our situation the benefits were greater than the small chance of compliation. I just said lots of prayers and was actually quite calm that day. We got to go in with DD while they did the gas till she was asleep and ready for the anesthesia. I would ask to do this! Good luck :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"