Preemies

Crap....DH came home with a cold

Grrrrr.....I'm pissed that he can trace exactly who he got it from at work. Why don't people stay the eff home until they are no longer contagious??!? The person who he got it from could work from home, so it's not like the virus spreader would have even needed to take a day off.

What do you do when someone in the household has a cold? He's not holding her...anything else we need to do?

What if she does catch his cold? How do we tell, and what do we do?

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

Re: Crap....DH came home with a cold

• Sorry about your hubby's cold. Yes, it is frustrating but unfortunately everyone is not as tuned into this as preemie parents are. I fully admit working often with colds, and most daycares will even take kids with colds so it is just something we have to deal with. As for what to do - I would just continually wipe things down - doorknobs, light switches, remotes, etc so hopefully you (abd LO) won't get it too. You'll know if she gets sick - my son didn't have a runny nose the first time, but definitely got congested which slowly got worse over a few days. We now have a nebulizer that we use when we think he's getting sick. A humidifier also helps when he's stuffed up. if you think she is getting sick, I'd take her into the pedi, but there's not much they can do for colds except ride it out. I hope she doesn't get it!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kck329kck329 member

We are dealing with that right now too-except I'm the one with a cold which really sucks cause I can't not hold her. Our pedi said to just be really careful about hand washing, sterilizing things frequently (I wipe the house down several times a day), and no kisses.

I think I got my cold at the pedi's office honestly. And C has been a little congested for about a week so I'm guessing she may have a little bit of it too. We took her in last week and the pedi said if she is sick, its like 'half a cold' its so mild. She said to watch for a fever or refusing to eat. So far she seems ok, I'm totally freaked out about it though so I understand your panic.

• Loading the player...
  • As others said, wipe surfaces down and have your husband wash his hands often.  It's amazing what diligent hand washing will do -- we made it through our first year without ever passing along colds to our little one.  We wore masks as a precaution early on when holding her.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • kck329kck329 member

imagelaragabrielle:
    As others said, wipe surfaces down and have your husband wash his hands often.  It's amazing what diligent hand washing will do -- we made it through our first year without ever passing along colds to our little one.  We wore masks as a precaution early on when holding her.

Our pedi and the NICU nurses said to be sure and wear a mask if you have a fever but otherwise its up to you and your comfort level. If I was coughing a lot, I would consider wearing a mask too.

• imagekck329:

imagelaragabrielle:
    As others said, wipe surfaces down and have your husband wash his hands often.  It's amazing what diligent hand washing will do -- we made it through our first year without ever passing along colds to our little one.  We wore masks as a precaution early on when holding her.

Our pedi and the NICU nurses said to be sure and wear a mask if you have a fever but otherwise its up to you and your comfort level. If I was coughing a lot, I would consider wearing a mask too.

Thanks all!

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"