Eco-Friendly Family

Eco Challenge: No dryer for a week

Anyone up for it?  I thought we could go Friday to Friday (7/29-8/5).

No punishment or prizes, but bonus points if you PIP your clothesline.  ;)

Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
Posts on cloth trainers/PLing

Re: Eco Challenge: No dryer for a week

• Maybe - I'll try, weather permitting!!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm up for it!  We don't have a clothesline in our tiny yard, but I will show you my drying rack Big Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Woot!  I'll post a reminder on Friday.
  • I'm game! Is it cheating if I already line dry 50% of the time already?
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker meggyj.blogspot.com
  • imageMeggyJ:
    I'm game! Is it cheating if I already line dry 50% of the time already?

No way!  ;)

• I will try.  I've been awful about line drying this summer :-(
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can say yes for clothes, but CDs get one dry cycle then hung on the line. They take 3 days to dry if they go from washer to line. It isn't that warm here. :(
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • This is a great idea!  I've been doing 'no-dryer July' and am going to keep on going!  We don't have clothesline in the yard, but Dh hung 4 lengths of clothesline back and forth across our back enclosed deck.  No clothes on it right now since it has been raining on and off but here's a pic! 

It works great since it is right outside the back door, and it's semi- enclosed so neighbors can't see all of my undies on the line.  Plus, we never use this deck, so now it is not wasted space :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • Great line kz!
  • imagedaenikoffre:
    I can say yes for clothes, but CDs get one dry cycle then hung on the line. They take 3 days to dry if they go from washer to line. It isn't that warm here. :(

Have you tried doing an extra spin cycle in your washer after the final rinse? I usually open up the washer, move the CDs around a bit and do another spin only cycle. It's amazing how much water still comes out. Makes for MUCH shorter drying time.  

• imagepapagena:
    Maybe - I'll try, weather permitting!!  

Same. I may be doing a lot more rank drying than line drying with the thunderstorms and floods we've been having!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • if we were already in the new place with the outdoor line, i'd try. we're still in the tiny apartment with just our drying rack and a WORLD of boxes making floor/walking space scarce right now. trying to find a place to hang ALL of our clothes, instead of just the nice/delicate stuff would probably send me over the edge right now. but good luck to everyone else!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• Aw, man. I already do this.
  • imageMELuckyInLove:

imagedaenikoffre:
    I can say yes for clothes, but CDs get one dry cycle then hung on the line. They take 3 days to dry if they go from washer to line. It isn't that warm here. :(

Have you tried doing an extra spin cycle in your washer after the final rinse? I usually open up the washer, move the CDs around a bit and do another spin only cycle. It's amazing how much water still comes out. Makes for MUCH shorter drying time.  

We live in an apartment with coin-op laundry. I can't change any settings besides water temperature. Thanks for the tip, though! Good to know. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • I'm a lurker, but I want to try this, too. Smile I line dry CDs, but I've been bad this summer about line drying everything else. It's been hot and I've begun to waddle. LOL

image image image image
  • I would join but I'm not sure it's a challenge, I can't remember the last time I used a dryer.  At least a month.  In fact we just bought an awesome drying rack for our sunroom because my old garage sale find was falling apart.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • imageMELuckyInLove:

imagedaenikoffre:

totally butting in, but that us a great idea!

• Man, I should have logged on this morning.. Ironically, today was the first I've used the dryer all summer lol got the wash started later in the day and went ahead and dried the socks and his undershirts Tongue Tied

I got this in the bag from Friday to Friday though hehe

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've been doing this for a week because ours broke :)  Honestly, I kind of like it and we haven't bothered to get the stupid thing fixed yet.
  • Sorry, can't do it.  It's too cold and wet in the Pacific Northwest to accomplish this without growing mold.

But I will go without AC. ;)

• I have been doing this since DS was born. I started off with his CDs but I was able to convince DH of doing it full time and he agreed. We have saved so much money now. I just unplugged my dryer yesterday and will start installing line in my house and garage for the winter time.

• Does it count if we don't even own a dryer? All our clothes get line dried outside on warm / sunny / windy days or inside if the weather is bad. We live in an alpine town so that's pretty much all winter. We just have the one drying rack but it's fine so long as you plan your washing. Here's DS's nappies drying by the fire...

imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"