Secondary IF

First IUI Fail- thinking about IVF/PGD?

Well, our first IUI was a bust....took a test on Saturday and Sunday, so I pretty much knew going into my beta on Monday what the result would be.  I stopped taking the progesterone Sunday, so got AF yesterday, which means I can start my next cycle of IUI if I want real soon. 

Originally, I thought i would just try one cycle of IUI and then move onto IVF (with PGD) because Im nervous about the increased chance of multiples with IUI, my age is such that I would like to just move on to something that gives me the best shot, and with the last two pregnancies ending in miscarriage, I would like to reduce the risk of future losses and I think PGD would help with that.   But, since I have not yet had an IVF consult, and the process will take awhile, Im leaning toward trying another IUI since I can start that right away, while scheduling an IVF consult in the meantime.  Plus, it was so relatively easy the first time around (compared to my fears!) I figure i should try it.  For those that have been through both IUIs and IVFs, I am assuming that its a lot more intense for IVFs?  A lot more shots and perhaps more stressful?  Has anyone done the PGD and would you like to share thoughts on that?

DD born 2007, lots of ttc #2 without success, now one & done.

Re: First IUI Fail- thinking about IVF/PGD?

• I haven't done IVF nor PGD, but wanted to say I wish you luck in your decision. I know that my RE will generally do 3 IUIs because sometimes that first one just doesn't take, but generally won't do more. So it seems like it might not be bad to give it another shot. The multiples thing in my case, I don't worry, because at 41 the chance of me getting even one to stick is so low that multiples just aren't even on my radar.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks, Choirgirl. I think I have come around to your line of thinking too regarding the multiples, after talking with my REs office...and they assured me they wouldnt move forward with more than a couple follies.  And in the end, I think twins would be hard but we could manage...i just worry about complications.  Good luck to you in your upcoming cycle as well! 
  • Loading the player...
  • You can get multiples with ivf too.  I'd schedule an ivf consult and go ahead with the iui.  We did 3 iuis and keep waiting to start ivf.  We did the pgd consult and opted not to do it this cycle.  If we end up doing a second ivf cycle, we'll do pgd.  Ivf is way more involved.  I'm on 17 prescriptions and I need a chart to keep them straight.  I had to do a class and all kinds of extra stuff.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i did a few iuis and it was suggested i do another round of injections with iui before i move on to ivf but we just took the next step.....once you are doing injections anyway ....ivf, for me, was not that much more involved....i was shooting myself up anyway, getting monitored, getting blood work done and paying a nice chunk each time so why not get the eggs out and fertilized...we also did pgd....unfortunately my cycle didn't go too well but i am moving fwd and doing it again....sigh...

if u are doing natural iuis you will feel a def. difference....!  so go for iui again and set up a consult for ivf....i didn't find it to be ALL that involved bc hey here i am signed up for the next round.....any other q's ask away!

good luck!!

• Thanks for the replies, ladies. Yes, I know multiples are still a risk with IVF, I guess I was just thinking it's more controllable than with IVF since i can control how many- and could choose to put back just one if im really worried. On the otherhand, they probably would recommend two with my age and I would probably go with that, so yeah, I seey our point samcb....and wow, that is a lot of prescriptions! Im doing injectibles now + clomid (need to re-learn how to put stuff in my siggy) so im ued to feeling a little crazy.  I scheduled a consult for next week so that I can discuss what type of calendar I would be following,and in the meantime am doing my next medicated IUI cycle starting tonight. Good luck to both of you on your next IVF cycles.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"