Working Moms
Options

How long?

Hi ladies,

I usually live over on the July 11 board, but I thought ya'll might have some more experience this situation.

I work for a small company that is not covered under FMLA, federal or state, that has offered me 6 weeks of unpaid leave.  Due to this reason, my original plan was to work up until I went into labor, but it has become increasingly difficult. 

I am considering going ahead and setting my last day for either this Friday (the day before my EDD) or next Friday, but I am concerned about the lack of time I would have following delivery.  My MW will let me go until 42 weeks barring any complications, meaning that if I choose this Friday I could have as little as 4 weeks for recovery. Is this too little? I would be going back PT when I returned...

How long did you really need before returning to work?  Did you not take enough/take too much? TIA!

BabyName Ticker

Re: How long?

• Options
    I worked up until I was 39w4d b/c I went into labor.  I would have went on ML or started working from home at the end of the week b/c I was so darn uncomfortable (would have been 40w1d), though.  I returned at 12 weeks after #1 and 10 weeks after #2.  if I have a #3, I will return after 8 weeks.  So, I probably wouldn't take off early if I only had 6 weeks.  Is there any way you can work from home or work a reduced schedule the next couple weeks, if it comes to that?
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

imageshouldbworkin:
    Is there any way you can work from home or work a reduced schedule the next couple weeks, if it comes to that?

Unfortunately, this is not an option.  I am the first maternity leave they have ever had, and many of the men I work with are already unhappy that I am taking 6 weeks.  It's not a very "baby" friendly environment. :(

BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I commuted into the office (an hour and a half commute each way, including 30 minutes of walking) until a week before I had my daughter, but was able to work from home until the day I was admitted into the hospital.  I would try and work as long as possible, because you will want to take as much time at home as possible after your child is born.  

You will also most likely need the full six weeks to recover and get used to the routine of having a child.  I went back to work 6.5 weeks after my daughter was born and I do not think I could have gone back much sooner than that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would work up to delivery if there's any way at all that you can.  I went 13 days past due with my son and 9 days with my daughter.  I'd want every minute of those 6 weeks for recovery and getting used to baby as opposed to using it now.  I got 3.5 months off with DD and I was still mad that I was off work for 2 weeks before she was born.

Is there any way you can use some sick leave or annual leave now to extend the 6 weeks or even give yourself shorter days?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was 11 days late with my DD and was induced.  I worked from home for about 2 weeks until she was born.  I would never give up time with the baby to go out on leave early.  You'll get bored, lonely, and impatient at home.  It took my 6 weeks to feel normal again and get into a groove with taking care of the baby, sleeping, BFing, etc.  You can stick it out!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Unless it's not safe and could put your baby's health at risk by working, keep working and don't take leave earlier.

You will need those 6 weeks physically, mentally and emotionally.

I work part time, and I had a rough recovery with #2. I couldnt have gone back any earlier than 6 weeks, even to a part time desk job.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Have you checked out the short term disability in your state?  For mine, the length of my disability leave was determined by my doctor, not the employer.  Also, the state paid a portion of my disability.  The first 6-8 weeks of any maternity leave is usually considered a medical disability.  
  • Options
    Well, I was literally sending off emails and putting an out-of-office up  in L&D. I was unexpectedly early though.  As miserable as you are now, you will want every possible minute before going back to work, I had a hard time at 12 weeks. It will be over before you know it. Hang in there.
  • Options
    Could you go down to part time now since you'll be doing that when you come back and you're not getting paid while on leave anyway? It might be difficult for them to have you switch to part time suddenly, but it's better than you just being gone. I agree you'll want as much time as possible after the baby is born.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was lucky that I felt great right up until I my water broke, 1.5 days before due date.  But I had 3rd degree tears and needed a solid 6 weeks for recovery.  I took 9wks because of holidays and finding daycare, but I would NOT have been ready, nor would my doctor have cleared me to go back to work before 6 weeks.  I would work as long as you can.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    a little bit of life : A blog about the life of a working, crafting, adventuring family of 4.
  • Options
    You also have to keep in mind that if you're using a daycare they usually won't take babies under 6 weeks. I agree with the pps of working from home or having a modified schedule - coming in late, leaving early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"