Stella Vivien's Natural Birth! — The Bump
Birth Stories

Stella Vivien's Natural Birth!

Tues. July 5th and 9pm my contractions started (12 min. apart). I was able to fall asleep around 2am and sleep through them. I woke up at 7, unable to sleep through anymore and began timing. They were consistently 8 min apart now. I called my MW office around 9 and they told me I could come in and get checked if I wanted. I didn't think I could drive myself and my husband was at work so I had my grandma take me and at around 10am I was 3-4 cm, 80% effaced with a bulging bag of waters. I'm convinced she stripped my membranes too because it hurt, I had bloody show and lost my MP. I called my husband and he met me at our house. I wanted to labor at home as long as possible, but the progress I had already made was freaking DH out so we gathered everything we needed and headed to the hospital. I labored in a triage room for 4 hours before being sent home because I hadn't progressed. I was pissed! We went home and my contractions continued to get stronger and by 9pm (a full 24 hours after they had started) they were hard to concentrate through and remember to breathe. I waited another hour before I called my midwife back. At 10, she told me to come on back to the hospital. The nurse checked me and I was 4-5 cm now!! Woot, time to be admitted and not leave again without our baby! At around 11pm I got a shot of morphine so I could sleep. I didn't actually sleep, just kind of rested all night, which was fine because I felt great. 6am I could tell the morphine was wearing off and at 7:30 my contractions were right back in full force. My nurse checked me again at 8am and I was 5-6cm. The next hour waiting for my midwife to come in was very long and painful and I began to have horrible back labor. At 9am, my MW came in (during a contraction) and after greeting me, asked cheerfully if she could break my water. I absolutely agreed because I was READY! Before breaking my water she checked me and I was a solid 7 and 100% effaced. Breaking my water HURT! By 10am I was at 8cm. My back labor was excruciating and baby was more on my right side, so my MW had be lie on my left to get her to move over a bit. Lying on my left side the last hour of labor was wonderful. It helped my back tremendously and I got some much needed rest between contractions. At 11:15 I was at 10 and it was time to push! When I started pushing I really felt like I had to pee. My MW told me to just go ahead and pee, but I couldn't. I little later, we were having a hard time getting baby around my pubic bone and MW thought it was because of my bladder being full, so she inserted a catheter to try and empty my bladder. It didn't work, but with each push I peed a little :) I pushed for an hour with DH holding my left leg and my mom holding my right and, after 40 total hours of labor, at 12:18pm, July 7, 2011 Stella Vivien was born. I got to watch everything in a mirror and pull her onto my chest myself. My husband helped me through every contraction and was an absolute angel. He took a little abuse, but never once left my side during one. My mom cut the cord. After delivering the placenta naturally, I was relieved to learn that I hadn't torn. I was very blessed to have my mom, step mom, grandma, and one of my sisters present to witness this beautiful event.

Stella weighed 6 pounds 7.4 ounces and was 18.5 inches long. Her apgar scores were 8 and 9. The only disappointing this about this whole experience was that I only got to hold her for a few minutes after she was born :( I handed her to DH and fully expected to get her back, but the family that was in there (+ my dad now) took her when DH stood up to give her back to me. I didn't get the hour alone with just us 3 that I had wanted. Other that that small imperfection, everything was wonderful and I couldn't have asked for a better experience! I am so unbelievably proud to be able to say that I gave birth completely med free! My recovery was excellent. I was up and around only an hour after having her!

She was about a day old in this pic.

Our family getting ready to go home!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Stella Vivien's Natural Birth!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards