School-Aged Children

5 year old starting to get picky

Both my kids have been awesome eaters but my 5 year old is starting to refuse meat, pasta and potatos. He just wants a salad. Could this be a phase? Should I force him to eat these things? I worry he is not getting enough protien.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 5 year old starting to get picky

• We usually have two choices in our house "Take it or leave it"...  The thing is, it's a phase...  As frustrating as it is, it's a phase, and you'll get through it.  Stick to your "guns" (kind of hard to actually force a kid to eat) and call it "Potato and meat salad" (use a drizzle of ketchup like it's dressing if you have to)...  Call it "Pasta Salad"...  Do what you can and don't be tough on yourself.  OTOH, the behavior will extinguish itself if you are consistent... 

We've had a tough couple weeks with our 6yo constantly wanting to eat out.  If we have to eat someplace other than home now, it's places that serve the exact same food I'd serve at home but I still go out of my way to eat at home.  It's helped curb the "picky" behavior quite a bit along with finding out what the "trigger" for attention was that she's needing...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Serve what you normally serve with salad as a side.  Maybe put some cheese on top or chick peas in it for protein.  My DS doesn't eat any meat and is healthy (his cholesterol is amazing).  As long as there are no behavior problems from lack of protein, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • My kids are both good eaters but have had picky phases, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I never catered to the pickiness and just kept encouraging my kids to try different things and they have both responded to that method very well.  I didn't ever force anything, I think keeping mealtime positive is really important.  When my kids try a new food we praise them and talk about how grown-up they are.  We also talk about how important it is to eat a balanced diet so they are strong and have energy.

• It has been so hot that all we're really eating are salads.  Toss some meat, beans, nuts, eggs, or cheese on a salad if you're worried about protein. 

• Throwing in beans, meat, cheese or eggs is a great idea. Thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We don't force them to eat - EVER.

Eating and the toilet are the 2 things they truly do have control over.  It's a battle you can not win.

We do however bribe.

Every night after dinner we have fruit.  My kids will do almost anything for fruit.

No "happy plate"?

No fruit.

You'd be amazed at what they'll eat.

And even more amazed at what they've realized they like once they've been exposed to it enough.

So - leave it as his choice but consider adding an incentive. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"