Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Using breastmilk from storage bags

Hi all: I will be going back to work in September so I have started pumping here and there to start creating a "stash."  I have a couple of questions since this is my first LO.  I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I really wish the bump message boards had a search feature!!).  Any help is greatly appreciated!

1)  For Daycare, do you send them the thawed bags or move the milk to bottles and give them the bottles?

2)  I've noticed that the milk separates (fat/hindmilk rises).  Additionally, the hindmilk tends to stick to the inside of the bags.  I obviously don't want that important hindmilk left behind when I transfer it into the bottle.  I know if I warm up the BM in the bag, it unsticks but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't warm up BM and then refridgerate again, right?  So, how do you get all the good stuff out of the bags?

3)  Do you have to refrigerate the milk prior to placing in the freezer?

4)  Should you get the air out of the bags or leave the air in?

(FYI - I am using Medela storage bags right now)

Sorry - I have a lot of questions!  Embarrassed  Any and all help is appreciated.  I think I may XP this just to get a wide array of responses.  TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Using breastmilk from storage bags

• 1)  I have done both - taken the milk in bags and empty bottles, and transferred it to the bottles myself.  I usually pump during the day and put that into a bottle and take it to the sitters. I use the frozen milk if we've had a long weekend or babysitter for the weekend or something like that.

2) If you gently swish it around a little, let it sit out for a few mints and swirl it around, the fat comes off the side.  I understand that if milk is heated, it should be used w/in 4 hours, it can be either left out or put back in the fridge. BUT my preference is not to heat it until it will be used.  Also, I have read that shaking the milk to vigorously is not good. Don't know if there is any truth to that... but I still swirl instead of shake!

3) I put the milk directly into the freezer and have never had a problem

4) I try and get all the air out of the bags.

I don't know what your work schedule is going to be, but I rarely have to use/take my frozen milk, but I like to have it there for just in case.  I pump twice during the day to make the 2 bottles she takes at daycare.  

Hope this helps!

DD #1 born @ 38 weeks 11/1/10
    BFP #2 Jan 2013 - MMC found at 11 wks, measured 8w2d.
    BFP #3 August 30, 3013, EDD 5/7/14
  • imageSavedByLove:

1)  For Daycare, do you send them the thawed bags or move the milk to bottles and give them the bottles? I always sent enough bottles for the day thawed or fresh, and one extra frozen bag if necessary.

2)  I've noticed that the milk separates (fat/hindmilk rises).  Additionally, the hindmilk tends to stick to the inside of the bags.  I obviously don't want that important hindmilk left behind when I transfer it into the bottle.  I know if I warm up the BM in the bag, it unsticks but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't warm up BM and then refridgerate again, right?  So, how do you get all the good stuff out of the bags? I don't think the fatty stuff that you are talking about is all of the hindmilk, it's really just fat. There's plenty of hindmilk in your frozen bag, you can tell because it cools in three layers (or what I think) the fat at the very top, then hindmilk, then the foremilk. You can probably safely reheat it twice, but then I would toss it. I let it unthaw in the fridge, warm the sides with my hands so that all that fat unsticks from the bag, dump it in a bottle and it's good to go until needing to be heated.

Nope! I just put mine in the storage bags, lay it flat inside a gift bag that has a little slit cut in the bottom. Then when I need it, I take one out of the slit on the bottom. This way, they freeze flat, and you are using the oldest milk first! 

I push as much air out so that more fits in the freezer! Then they lay better and I can fit more in a bag. 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagefluffybuns:
    imageSavedByLove:

1)  For Daycare, do you send them the thawed bags or move the milk to bottles and give them the bottles? I always sent enough bottles for the day thawed or fresh, and one extra frozen bag if necessary.

2)  I've noticed that the milk separates (fat/hindmilk rises).  Additionally, the hindmilk tends to stick to the inside of the bags.  I obviously don't want that important hindmilk left behind when I transfer it into the bottle.  I know if I warm up the BM in the bag, it unsticks but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't warm up BM and then refridgerate again, right?  So, how do you get all the good stuff out of the bags? I don't think the fatty stuff that you are talking about is all of the hindmilk, it's really just fat. There's plenty of hindmilk in your frozen bag, you can tell because it cools in three layers (or what I think) the fat at the very top, then hindmilk, then the foremilk. You can probably safely reheat it twice, but then I would toss it. I let it unthaw in the fridge, warm the sides with my hands so that all that fat unsticks from the bag, dump it in a bottle and it's good to go until needing to be heated.

Nope! I just put mine in the storage bags, lay it flat inside a gift bag that has a little slit cut in the bottom. Then when I need it, I take one out of the slit on the bottom. This way, they freeze flat, and you are using the oldest milk first! 

I push as much air out so that more fits in the freezer! Then they lay better and I can fit more in a bag. 

Nice Storage Idea!  I'm going to use this one! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefluffybuns:
    imageSavedByLove:

This is the best thing I have ever heard of!

We must be the change we wish to see in the world. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"