Nurseries and Baby Gear

bottle warmer- useful or waste of $

Do we want a bottle warmer?  I don't know if its a waste of money and I can do the same thing easily on my own, or if its a nice thing to have.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: bottle warmer- useful or waste of $

• Waste of money.  If you are BFing, you can heat it up in a cup of hot water.  If you are FFing, don't bother heating...Just use room temp. water to mix it.  It's much easier to not get them used to heated bottles.  When you are out, it is a PITA to heat them and one extra step for those middle of the night feedings...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • i'm always in the minority about this but it's in the top 3 most used baby items in our house. we have a dr brown's warmer and we LOVE it. we started out with getting a cup of hot water and putting the bottle in it and twirling the bottle, but that's a lot more involved than just throwing a bottle in the warmer. i EP'd and now we use RTF formula, so we're always heating up. DS has no problem taking a cold bottle when we're out and about, but it makes him spit up a bit more, so when we're home, we warm his bottles.
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • waste of money - my DD hasn't cared one bit about a warm bottle EVER.  we were given one that I ended up giving to someone else who had a baby 6 months after me.  My DD will actually take a cold bottle, no problem. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would just invest in a reasonably priced one. DD was exclusively breastfed but sometimes I would pump and store in the fridge, so I needed a quick way to heat it up. Warming in a hot cup of water is also an option, but when she was hungry, she was HUNGRY so it was nice to have a quick fix. 
  • Complete waste of money. I can't speak for all newborns but I know at 2am with my DS he did NOT want to wait for me to warm a bottle. He wanted his bottle right then and there, it didn't matter if it was warm, cold, or room temp....he just wanted it. I tried it the first week and hated it. Waiting for it to warm felt like an eternity while he was screaming in my ear.
  • Waste of money, my son is 13 months old and we NEVER used it. It's right up there with wipes warmer, and bottle sterilizer- useless for us. 
  • Waste of money. I registered for one and get it as a shower gift for my son who's 10 months and I have yet to use it once. Now I kinda wish that I got something else.
  • Waste of money.  I plan to give mine away just to get it out of the house.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • roxyuroxyu member
    I loved mine!  We used the Doc Brown's pitcher to pre-mix formula (less gas) so we had to warm the formula.  If you are going to breastfeed, don't bother buying one yet.  (I had mastitis (sp?) twice and finally gave up!)

photo b56c04be-4eeb-442e-afb5-397708ea1118.jpg

• I think it is very situational.  I was exclusively pumping.  At night I was alone b/c DH was working and sometimes I'd need 3 bottles to get through the night.  We have a 2 story house and all the bedrooms are upstairs.  It got very old to come down, get a bottle out of the fridge heat it up and take it upstairs to DS (repeat x1-2).  The one I got (first years I think) had a cooler part on the back that could hold 2 bottles.  So I could everything set up to last through the night, and whatever I pumped while he was taking his bottle went into the spot in the cooler that I just took a bottle out of.

If I'm able to BF this time I doubt I'll use it again, and if/when we switch to FF I won't use it.  We did occasionally use it when making a pitcher of formula for the day.

TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
    BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
    Lovebugs2012
    My Blog
  • Total waste and messy!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • you will only need a bottle warmer if you EP or if you plan on having DH help with feedings.  It is wonderful to heat up milk instantly but you won't need it if you FF or BF. 

I EP for 6 months and we had several bottle warmers in key rooms because we used them so much.  they were fantastic.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We didn't use it at first because the crying was so awful it was easier to mix on the spot. I had the water in the bottles premeasured and the formula in dispensers. Now that DD STTN and has more patience/a predictable feeding schedule, I premix a pitcher everyday and have 6 bottles in the fridge ready to go. We have the Tommee Tippee bottle warmer. I tried the whole bottle in a cup of warm water thing for a while, but when you're heating a large bottle (7oz), you have to dump the water 3 times to get it warmed up.

And in response to "don't get the baby used to warm bottles": they digest warm milk better than cold milk, so while it might be a PITA to warm them up, it's better for baby to at least bring it to room temp before feeding. I would never give DD a bottle straight from the fridge.

• I EP'ed as DS was a lazy nurser so I started pumping when he was 3 days old and that night when he woke up he was screaming hungry so I gave him the bottle from the fridge and he took it - it was cold!  I asked my pedi and he said there was no physical reason to have to heat it and I'm glad I did it that way - I think it's part of the reason he transitioned to cow's milk so easy.  I will likely do the same with this baby. 

My friend would heat her daughter's formula and she wouldn't take a room temp bottle much less a cold one so if she was out and about she would have to stop, make a bottle, then get the baby out of the car and go into a restaurant, gas station, etc. to try and heat the bottle - it was a total PITA and I was glad I didn't have to deal with that.

• MAMAxBMAMAxB member
    imageCOmommy:
    Waste of money.  If you are BFing, you can heat it up in a cup of hot water.  If you are FFing, don't bother heating...Just use room temp. water to mix it.  It's much easier to not get them used to heated bottles.  When you are out, it is a PITA to heat them and one extra step for those middle of the night feedings...

This!!
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"