Health & Exercise

breastfeeding calories

Anyone else having difficulty keeping up with caloric intake while breastfeeding? I actually weigh less than my pre-prego weight because i can't seem to eat enough calories. I have tried adding a protein bar here and there but it hasn't made much of a difference. I feel like I ate less while I was pregnant than I do now.

Re: breastfeeding calories

• I'm not currently breastfeeding, but I know that it was challenging at times to consume the right amount of calories to support adequate lactation.  Calorie needs during breastfeeding are about 330 kcals/day more than non-pregnancy needs.  If the protein bar is the only difference from post-preg to pre-preg intake, it might not be providing enough calories.  Are you consuming small, frequent meals/snacks?  What about nutrient and energy-dense foods like nuts, PB, dried fruits, starchy veggies, cheese? Have you tried increasing portions of some of your typical meals/snacks? I had to increase portions for a few things to meet my needs.  Just some thoughts.
  • I have been underweight for the last 10 months or so...   I seriously have to add donuts to my diet in order to gain weight.   I wouldn't mind, except that my clothes aren't fitting...  

But yeah, you need to take in about 500 extra calories per day.  BM has about 20 calories per ounce, and when you're feeding 30 ounces or more a day, it adds up...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"