September 2011 Moms
Options

How to choose my LO's birthday??

My doctor told me yesterday to pick any day after 38 weeks to be induced due to GD.  How in the world can I choose!?  This is a pretty big thing to decide.  I think I'll keep it in September even though I could choose the end of August.  I want to stay a true Sept. Mommy!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How to choose my LO's birthday??

• Options
    I am looking at Sept 1st.  It is on a Thursday.  I will be 38 wks, 5 days.
  • Options
    Wow...what a choice to make!  Good luck making a decision.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagedianamcu:
    Wow...what a choice to make!  Good luck making a decision.

I know!  I am REALLY hoping he will decide to come on his own! 

• Options
    CottonCotton member

How late will your doctor let you go? I would hold out until the last possible chance, but that's just me.

Elizabeth

• Options
    also realize that you may not really be choosing.  you may go in for an induction on sept 1st, but not have him for a day or two.  all that said, i would choose the last date possible that my dr would let me go to.
  • Options
    I'd go with my due date. You want to stay pregnant as long as possible to give your baby the best chance of not having problems. Not that going a little early is a terrible thing, but its best to wait.
  • Options
    September 1st is my LO's due date and I've actually become fondly attached to it, but my OB is inducing no later than 39 weeks due to my intense SPD and pain, etc. 39 weeks for me is August 25... bummer. I loved the idea of a September baby... maybe I'll tell her to wait haha.
  • Options
    I believe Sept 4 is the perfect day.  Of course, I am biased (it's my DS's birthday!)  Big SmileHere's something to ponder -- the cut-off to enter kindergarten is 5 years of age by September 1st -- So, if you hold off until September 2nd, your child will have the advantage of being a whole year older than some of his/her classmates.  As a teacher, I find that often the kids born in September are usually the most mature and brightest in my class, because they had an extra year to develop before jumping into school.
  • Options

imageZZsmommy:
    I believe Sept 4 is the perfect day.  Of course, I am biased (it's my DS's birthday!)  Big SmileHere's something to ponder -- the cut-off to enter kindergarten is 5 years of age by September 1st -- So, if you hold off until September 2nd, your child will have the advantage of being a whole year older than some of his/her classmates.  As a teacher, I find that often the kids born in September are usually the most mature and brightest in my class, because they had an extra year to develop before jumping into school.

that's regional.  here is sept 15.  other places it's like in oct.  and a very strange reason to have an earlier/later baby.

• Options

Please wait until at least the 39th week. There was an article from March of Dimes about why you need to cook your baby for that 39th week, I wish I could find it. 

It said a bunch about brain and lung development that your baby misses out on if you deliver before your 39th week. 

• Options
    We're scheduling my c/s next month. My Dr hasn't told me what time frame she's thinking of, and in the end it may depend on how ready for labor my body seems. We don't want me to go into labor. I'm thinking 39 weeks would be a good time.
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageZZsmommy:

I am a teacher as well and that is why I was excited to have a  Septemeber baby.  He will be the oldest in his class and have an extra year to grow and develop.  I have also found it makes a difference, especially with boys! Although, it is not always the case, there's always a few exceptions!

• Options
    imageCandyshel13:

I am a teacher as well and that is why I was excited to have a  Septemeber baby.  He will be the oldest in his class and have an extra year to grow and develop.  I have also found it makes a difference, especially with boys! Although, it is not always the case, there's always a few exceptions!

ITA, I was always the youngest in the class (Aug 27th) and almost always had the highest grades. My DD is a January baby and we've had a few issues with her being the oldest in the class (granted, it's been PreK classes) and bored. She's older and more developed which has resulted in some unsavory attitude on occasion.

I wouldn't choose a b-day for school reasons because you can always delay entering but it's harder to start early. Good luck with your choice!

• Options

imageTheFannins729:
    also realize that you may not really be choosing.  you may go in for an induction on sept 1st, but not have him for a day or two.  all that said, i would choose the last date possible that my dr would let me go to.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Not only does it give your LO longer to cook, it increases your chances of him coming on his own.

• Options

imageTheFannins729:
    also realize that you may not really be choosing.  you may go in for an induction on sept 1st, but not have him for a day or two.  all that said, i would choose the last date possible that my dr would let me go to.

1000 times this, especially the bolded. 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options

I would also wait until at least week 39 which I read is what is recommended and safe for the baby.

Also about the school thing, in my city it used to be in Oct (like Oct. 15) and starting next year the cut off will be sometime in July.  So who knows if it will even stay the Sept cutoff for your LO.  I just wouldn't base it off of that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageZZsmommy:

Just because you kid is born in August doesn't mean you cant redshirt him for a year to be sure he/she is ready. 

• Options
    My doctor doesn't want me to go past 39 wks which would be on Saturday 9-3-11.  I don't really want to be induced on the weekend and I'm not sure that my doctor would want to either.  That is why I chose Thursday.  I don't want want to be forced into a C-section just because the on-duty doctor wants to start the weekend early!  I have read too many statistics on this stuff and I really don't think it is coincidence that there are more babies born by Cesarean on weekends than any other days.
  • Options
    Agreed.  Hopefully baby can come when he's ready. Good luck!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

imagenikkimouse323:
    My doctor doesn't want me to go past 39 wks which would be on Saturday 9-3-11.  I don't really want to be induced on the weekend and I'm not sure that my doctor would want to either.  That is why I chose Thursday.  I don't want want to be forced into a C-section just because the on-duty doctor wants to start the weekend early!  I have read too many statistics on this stuff and I really don't think it is coincidence that there are more babies born by Cesarean on weekends than any other days.

They may not even induce on a weekend.  But at the same time, you cannot really be "forced" into a csection.  Sure they could push for it, but you still make the call.  Maybe Friday the 2nd then :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"