Birth Stories

Long Labor, and Forceps Delivery

The Nutshell Version:

Induced on Oct 6. Thirty hours of labor (including four hours of pushing), and a forceps delivery later, Baby G was born.

The Full Version:

Went to the doctor on Oct 6th. My protein levels were high, so it was decided that we would induce later that day.

We checked into the hospital later that morning.

As some of you know, we had planned on a natural childbirth (well, as natural as possible). And I had been told by an anesthesiologist that an epidural would most likely not be effective, due to my previous back injury and subsequent surgery.

So, labor started. Not so bad at first, so they kept upping the induction medication that brings on contractions (Pitocin). Once I was in hard labor, I have to say, the pain was excruciating. I've been in a lot of pain in my day, but on a scale of 1 - 10, the pain of hard labor is about a 172. Seriously. And apparently, when I'm in immense pain, I throw up. For a few hours I was vomitting about every third contraction. Eventually I was vomitting only bile, there was nothing left.

Sixteen hours into labor, I was still only 2 cm dilated (I had checked in at 1 - 1 1/2 cm). I had made virtually no progress. That alone was very disheartening. To go thru so much labor, and know that no progress was being made.

Realizing that still being only 2 cm I probably had a long way to go, I requested Stadol, a pain medication. It was supposed to last 1 - 2 hours, but 30 min later, I was back in full pain.
I finally requested to try the epidural. I had reached my limit and couldn't take much more. PRAISE JESUS, it worked. I was finally able to get some relief, and some rest.
Although I have to admit, the pain didn't go completely away, it just made it tolerable. All in all, they would have to re-adminster my epidural five times, as it kept wearing off.

So... about ten hours later, it was time to push.

I pushed for four hours. That's right, FOUR HOURS. I know you can't possibly understand unless you've given birth (I didn't), but pushing is hard, physical work. It's really difficult physically. They said they normally only let women push for 1 - 2 hours, but apparently I got to be the lucky one. I pushed for four hours.

One of the most memorable moments of pushing was when DH told me he could see Baby's head. So amazing. And then again when he told me he could see she had hair. Wow.

Well, after four hours of pushing, she still wasn't coming. The doctor then decided it needed to be a forceps delivery. The most painful part of the forceps delivery was actually when he inserted the forceps. Then it was time for my final three pushes (which Jason has on tape, by the way).

The actual delivery didn't hurt that much, not much more than the other pushes had.

I remember them putting Baby G on my chest, and being just not knowing what to think. It was like I didn't understand what was going on.

The next thing I remember is the pain of being stiched up.

*TMI warning*
I tore from vagina to anus, and again at the top of the vagina.
DH actually got the doctor on tape saying "now I'm repairing the anal sphincter. I love saying that, it sounds funny. 'Anal Sphincter'". Nice.

Well, it wasn't long before my pain came back in full swing. DH was trying to tend to both Baby and myself, while the nurses were trying to wrap things up for the shift change. He finally sent one of the nurses to the waiting room to get each of our moms to help tend to us. The last thing I remember was my mom staying in front of me.
I was unconscious for about the next eight hours. Apparently, we had some visitors, including my grandmother, but I have absolutely no memory of it. Didn't know it ever happened. Completely unconscious.

We were in the hospital for another four days. Baby was badly jaundiced, and had difficulty feeding, which in turn made the jaundice worse, which kept her from being discharged. My white blood cell count was high, and my red blood cell count was high, which kept me from being discharged.

I have been told that the, ummm... injuries (?) I sustained during delivery will make my recover more like that of a C-section than that of a vaginal delivery. It's been slow going. We've been to the doctor and / or hospital nearly every day since being discharged, for either Baby or myself. Including one trip to the ER for me, due to excessive bleeding. My red blood cell count is still really low, and at my appt on Wednesday, the doctor mentioned the "T" word (transfusion), if my levels don't increase. Apparently I lost quite a bit of blood during the delivery and immediate post-delivery period.

Baby is doing much better. Jaundice is all but gone, and I think she's finally putting on weight. We'll find out at our weight check at the hospital tomorrow.

Well, that's about it. Been pretty busy trying to settle into a routine, and handle all the doctor appts, but if you have any questions for me, feel free to page me on the 0 - 6 month board.

Thanks for checking.

Re: Long Labor, and Forceps Delivery

• Wow, I am soooo sorry that you had such a rough delivery but I am glad you are all okay.  I hope you recover soon!  Take care!
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Wow.   That's one of the rougher birth stories I've heard.  I sincerely hope things start to get easier for you! 

Congrats on the new baby!  I'm sure baby G is precious!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats on the new baby. I hope you are doing better as well!
  • I hope you are feeling better! Congrats
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"