2nd Trimester
Options

Saw a penis at 14 weeks!

So, I went in today for what was supposed to be my 13 week first trimester screening ultrasound. When the  Dr. was doing the u/s, I made a joke that I saw a penis (DH really wants a boy). The Dr. then said that actually, he saw a penis. He pointed it out, and took a photo. It definitely looks like a penis. I was just shocked that he was able to see something this early. It turns out I'm actually 14 weeks and not 13, but that's still very early. He even said it was early, but that really, there was nothing else that it could be, and that it is in the exact location for a penis. So, my husband has told everyone we are having a boy. I'm still a little nervous, but should I be? I mean, if he'd said there was no penis and it was a girl, I would think there would be much more room for error there, right? Am I safe in assuming that I am having a boy? 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Saw a penis at 14 weeks!

• Options

still 50/50. the clitoris sticks out like a penis at 12-14 weeks. I'd wait till mid-15 weeks at least. good luck!

eta: if he saw scrotum, then maybe it is a boy, did he say anything about that?

• Options
    imageMike&Care:

still 50/50. the clitoris sticks out like a penis at 12-14 weeks. I'd wait till mid-15 weeks at least. good luck!

eta: if he saw scrotum, then maybe it is a boy, did he say anything about that?

This - I wouldn't go out and buy all blue stuff just yet :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't go out and buy blue quite yet...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options

imageforensicmama:
    Don't go out and buy blue quite yet...

This. 

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Options
    I'm sure your doctor has plenty of experience reading ultrasounds and if thats what he saw then I'd say sounds like you're having a boy! 
  • Options

Check out this link. It may help you decide by looking at the different pictures and comparing them to the u/s. I hope it is a boy, since that is what you want. GL!!!

https://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

Jewels

** Our TTC Journey Blog **

** Our Pregnancy Blog ** 

TTC for over 3 years. After several infertility treatments, we received our first BFP!! :)

image' rel="nofollow">image
  • Options
    Congrats on your baby boy!! Even though it is early some OB dr. Do an u/s for gender at 16 weeks. With DD I found out at 15 weeks I had a prior u/s where my Ob told me it looked to be a girl but it was a little early that was around 13wks. At 15 weeks it was confirmed. My cousin is also pregnant now with her 2nd she is 14 wks, she found out at her NT 3 days ago and she also found out her baby is a boy.. She even got a picture and there is really no doubt that it is a boy. :)
  • Options
    imagemissjulierenee:

Check out this link. It may help you decide by looking at the different pictures and comparing them to the u/s. I hope it is a boy, since that is what you want. GL!!!

https://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

This link is really good, I've seen it around here a few times before. To me, they both look like penises at this stage. I wouldn't get too excited until you have your a/s or an elective ultrasound in the next few weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Both genders still have an external appendage at 13-14 weeks, although an experienced ultrasound tech would be in the best position to make an educated guess. I would take it as encouraging but wait until it is confirmed at the anatomy scan to go buying anything.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options

I had an elective ultrasound at 14w 1d and was told with 99% certainty it was a boy. There is a VERY good chance to tell the sex at 14 weeks, it is better than 50/50 (which I see some people are saying). It is, however, easier to tell if the baby is a boy. If you had a doctor tell you so, it's a pretty good guess. I did go out and buy some boy stuff, but I kept all the receipts and tags on (just in case). At my anatomy scan it was confirmed he was not only 100% boy...but that he is 500% boy! Here is a picture of what my little guy looked like in my 14 week ultrasound...maybe you can compare yours with mine!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• Options
    i found out at 12 weeks!!! so it's very possible!!!! Congrats on your baby boy!!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I also had my sonogram tech tell us at 12 weeks - all about the angle of the dangle, and our guys was pointing straight up.  Had multiple u/s since then and he still a boy :)
  • Options

I wouldn't count on it just yet. When I was about that far along with my first, my OB said her best guess was that I was having a boy. When we did the anatomy scan a month or so later, it was very obviously not a boy.

• Options
    I was told I was having a boy at my 1st tri screening and it was a boy...
  • Options
    Well, I checked my little one's appendage against the ones in the photos on that website you recommended. It appears the angle of his dangle is a boy...it's pointing straight up at an almost 90 degree angle from his spine...unlike the girl's appendage that points at the same degree as the spine...So, I guess I am almost safe in assuming boy? I hope! I found out I was pregnant at 3.5 weeks...it feels like it has lasted forever already!!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"