September 2011 Moms
Options

2nd+ moms

do you sometimes sit back and think, I know too much now.  Like, is it better to go into labor completely unaware of what is really about to happen to you or to go into labor knowing exactly what is about to happen to you.  (more or less obviously since each labor & delivery is different).  I keep having these flashbacks to ds' delivery and think "omg, I can't believe I'm about to do THAT again"
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2nd+ moms

• Options

I was just thinking about this yesterday!  I think it's scarier this time around, knowing what's going to happen.  At least for me anyway.  Oblivion is bliss right?

My mom always tells the story of when she went into labor with me (I was her 2nd) the very first thing she said was OMG I don't want to do this again!  LOL

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think if I wasn't having a scheduled c/s this time around I'd totally be the same way. My labor with DS was AWFUL. If there was a chance I'd have to go through all that again, I'd probably be freaking out right about now...
    "It's not what you look at that matters...it's what you see." Married 9.24.2005 DS born 5.2.2007 DD born 8.26.2011 imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was buy since I talked to my doctor I feel a lot better about it. Now I am not really concerned and just want to meet my little man.
  • Options

Most definitely!

Though I was as prepared as I possibly could've been, seeing as how I'd just finished a 6 week internship in L&D when I was in early 2nd tri. So I knew what to expect for the most part...but that still doesn't fully prepare you for what it'll be like when it's YOU. I saw hundreds of women moaning from contractions, but didn't "get it" until I felt those bastards myself.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i wouldn't really say i'm concerned.  i just think it's different now knowing what you're walking into.

• Options
    I agree "oblivion is bliss".I would rather not know. Im really hoping that because I had so much trouble with DD that this will be easier, BUT some part of me just says you know what your in for! 
  • Options
    I think I get more nervous each time around. I never really sat and thought about all of the 'options' and now that I know a lot more after doing this 3 times already (and each being pretty different as how the started, how long they lasted, pain tolerance, etc) I am still scared of the unknown. The unknown to me is a c-section and petocin. I fear those things. I really could only want a c-section so I can get my tubal ligation out of the way haha. Other then that, I am perfectly content with my vaginal deliveries. It's all coming so fast and I was calm coming into this and knew what to look forward to, but now that it's so close its really nerve wracking.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    l&d was epic for me.. Im really hoping my water breaks again i dont know what id do if I had a normal labor.. but whats really scaring me is the recovery

Thats what you never hear about and really I dont think being blissfully unaware helped.. I was niave and thought okay havin baby is the worst a little bleeding a few weeks and all is well.. so wrong.. i feel better being a little prepared but really am not having a party knowing i get to do it again.
  • Options
    I try not to think about it. My labor and delivery with my DS was horrendous, like the worst thing I have ever lived through. This time I am prepared to defend myself and have set my limits (like no pitocin, since I can't have an epi).  It seems unlikely that things will go as badly as last time, so I'm hoping that it will be more tolerable.  However, I am still pretty terrified.
                      Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kelyr1kelyr1 member

This is my third and I have to say that after a painfree 2nd delivery I'm not really worried about this one.  I labor so quickly that for my 2nd my doctor told me that if I wanted drugs not to wait until I went into labor.  So I went to the hospital at 6 cm dilated (not yet having any contractions), got my epidural, they broke my water and 2 hours later there was my second baby girl.  PAIN FREE and WONDERFUL!! 

I thought I wanted a natural delivery with my first (no drugs, that is) but when they broke my water and I felt those first contractinos it was awful.  I lasted 5 minutes before I said get the doctor.  The anesthesia only worked on one side and then after fiddling with it for a while I was so numb that I couldn't lift my own legs.  For the delivery they turned down the meds so I could push so when it was time to deliver the placenta it was horrible. 

The only thing I fear this time around is actually going into labor on my own and not having the opportunity to get the epidural.  If I can do it like #2 I'm all for it!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagebarefootally:
    I think if I wasn't having a scheduled c/s this time around I'd totally be the same way. My labor with DS was AWFUL. If there was a chance I'd have to go through all that again, I'd probably be freaking out right about now...

This exactly. My first DS got stuck so bad they had to pull him out and use the vacuum, he ended up with shoulder distotia. I loved every second of my planned c-section with my second and hope it's as pleasant this time.

If I had to give birth vaginally again I'd be freaking out right now.

Mommy to three adorable boys!
  • Options
    I plan to VBAC, but I remember thinking and still feel like I might have signed up for major abd. surgery voluntarily depending on how things go. It wasn't the worst thing in the world but I don't like thinking of the hole they might cut in to me all cause I wanted to have another kid. There aren't very many other surgeries that someone might have multiple times in life, but C/S are one of them. I don't know it just grosses me out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

• Options

I think my savior is I had a very easy labor. Probably part of the reason why I said I would do it again...lol.

The after the birth, when you come home part, scares me more than anything. Having 2 instead of 1 is what I am worried about.

• Options
    I feel like I've had just about everything happen that can happen, except having my water break on my own. I've gone into labor on my own, I've been induced, had an epidural, had a c/s, had a VBAC. I can say that the second time around the contractions came on much sooner and much stronger than they did the first time, so this time around the minute I feel uncomfortable I'm asking for the epi so I don't end up going through hard labor and then have to wait even longer for the anesthesiologist. Really the only thing I'm worried about is having to end up with a c/s, because I know how painful the recovery can be vs. my VBAC which felt like nothing in comparison, even with the tearing. 

Dylan Sophia 06.04.09 - Elijah Alexander 04.25.10 - 04.25.10 - Sullivan Thomas 09.06.11 - Calvin Douglas 08.06.13 - Baby GIRL Due 07.01.15!
    Elijah's Story: Embracing Elijah
    My blog: Midwest Chaos

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in a bit of an unusual situation because I had twins last time... even though I got to have a vaginal birth it was in an OR with about 20 people in the room and my babies were whisked to the NICU before I got to see them. So for me I am SO excited to have a normal birth not attended by a million doctors and nurses. I'm delivering at a birth center with a midwife and I am really looking forward to a "normal" childbirth experience. I would say that knowing how it can be (super over medicalized and chaotic) has really made me more enthusiastic about getting a do-over to try for a natural birth this time.
  • Options
    it's amazing how previous experiences totally give you a different perspective on this one going in.  I had a fairly easy delivery for my first, so I think I've been trying to mentally prepare myself for a more complicated one this time just in case.
  • Options

Yup, definitely different second time around.

I was happy to have more knowledge about labour now ... makes me feel more prepared to labour at home as long as possible.

Not excited to have the knowledge of my rough recovery and the incredible sleep deprevation, I just keep praying it is better this time around!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"