August 2011 Moms

BH contractions.. when to be concerned?

I have been experiencing increased BH contractions since Saturday.. today while driving they were really throwing me for a loop.

When should I be concerned about them? I do not have any menstrual cramping, bleeding, or excess discharge. I do have upper back pain with each one.

Married: 3/01/08
Baby Girl: 7/29/11
Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!

Re: BH contractions.. when to be concerned?

• This is not medical advice but just what my OB told me. 

If you monitor them for an hour and are getting about 6 or more an hour, then drink water, lay down, and monitor for a second hour.  If they get worse then you might be the "real thing" and you should come in.  He said that was the best advice he could give about when to come in or not.  He said women in real labor will get progressively worse over several hours where BH will go away or just stay steady.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • eesomeeesome member

Are you staying hydrated? Make sure you are constantly drinking water. As your pregnancy progresses (especially late in your pregnancy), your baby is growing at a super fast rate and your body needs tons of water to keep up with it all.  

If you are staying hydrated, I wouldn't worry unless they are actual contractions (the ones that feel like menstrual cramps). BH are just the practice before the real deal, and some people get them more often than others. 

Also-- if you are constantly running around and doing stuff, that may be a sign to take a breather. Sometimes you just need to rest by lying on your side for about 20 minutes to get them to stop. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • ijackijack member
    If you're having more than 6/hr you should call. There really isn't a way to know if they're BH without your cervix being checked.
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • imageeesome:

Are you staying hydrated? Make sure you are constantly drinking water. As your pregnancy progresses (especially late in your pregnancy), your baby is growing at a super fast rate and your body needs tons of water to keep up with it all.  

If you are staying hydrated, I wouldn't worry unless they are actual contractions (the ones that feel like menstrual cramps). BH are just the practice before the real deal, and some people get them more often than others. 

Also-- if you are constantly running around and doing stuff, that may be a sign to take a breather. Sometimes you just need to rest by lying on your side for about 20 minutes to get them to stop. 

The bolded part...I've noticed that I start getting them the worst when I'm up and about too much, and I've found that lying down for about 10-15 minutes tends to calm them and make them stop for a while. I also agree with PP on the advice of the OB - though my OB told me if I have more than 4 BH in an hour to call...differnt doc, different advice...but it's essentially the same - if you have a few, try drinking water and relaxing for a bit...if they continue or start to get progressively worse, call the doc. HTH!

Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My Dr. told me to take it easy and not to worry until they are consistent and progressing.  I guess we are at the point were they are normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Max born July 25

Big sisters Alex and Layla

• megd06megd06 member
    if they don't go away when you drink water and lie down, or if you are getting more than 6 in an hour.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"