September 2011 Moms
Options

Poll: Whooping Cough Vaccinations

I always thought that pregnant women received their WC vaccinations after giving birth. My OB offered it to me yesterday but she said that it takes about 2 weeks to kick in so I essentially may be harming my baby by not getting it sooner. I have Kaiser insurance and she says that its recommended that women get it in their 3rd trimester. 

[Poll]

Re: Poll: Whooping Cough Vaccinations

• Options
    My doctor gave me one the first time I saw her- I think I was at the beginning of my second tri.
  • Options
    This is the first I am hearing about this, will ask my MW about it at my next visit in 2 weeks.
    ~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got mine when were first started trying for LO.  DH goes to the Dr to get his at the end of July.  I'm debating if I should mention it to my parents and ILs.  The are all the type that will never admit being sick and spread it to everyone else! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I may be the only preggo not getting one at all... I am deathly allergic to the pertussis vaccine and could potentially die if I get it again...so, I guess I'd just be a special snowflake lol. As for my lo getting it... I'll be terrified up until the days after she gets it :(
  • Options
    I hadn't heard anything about this from my docs yet.  I did read in FitPregnancy today that mothers who get the vaccine in the 3rd trimester pass along their immunity to the baby for the first few months of their life (which for most of us would be the most critical time of year apparently).  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I asked my OB this in early second tri and she said I'd be getting it as soon as I delivered in the hospital.
    bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Options
    I got the Tdap a few years ago. It happens to include pertussis. DH just got his a month or so ago.
  • Options
    Say what?  I haven't even heard of this, and I have read a lot of books and pamphlets on pregnancy.
  • Options
    I never got one.. not sure if DD did.. I just trust her drs to give her what she needs.. yep niave like that.
  • Options
    I had a TDaP booster a few years ago.  It's good for 10 years.  DH is getting his in a few weeks when he has his annual physical.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • Options
    elyndselynds member
    After I deliver.  DH got one when he started medical school, so we're good.
  • Options

I also have Kaiser and was told that I'd get it during 3rd tri, but at my last appointment the doctor looked up past info and saw that I got the booster in July last year so I don't need it again. If I hadn't gotten the shot before I got pregnant, I would choose to wait until after I have the baby to get the vaccine.

• Options

They talked about this is the latest issue of Fit Pregnancy magazine and recommended getting one in the third trimester.  My doctor hasn't said anything about it yet, though.

• Options

I had a Tdap booster a few years ago, so I'm good for awhile.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    neither.  don't need one since i've already had a booster.
  • Options
    We have had an outbreak around here in the last few years, so I had one before I got pregnant. My kids have been vaxed, but I didn't want to take a chance of dragging that stuff all over the hospital!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"