South Jersey Babies

Can't decide between Virtua Voorhees, Cooper, or Underwood??

I have heard mixed reviews...any suggestions??

Re: Can't decide between Virtua Voorhees, Cooper, or Underwood??

• I have a Cooper doc so that's where I'll be delivering.  And I was born there too. :)  I know that Virtua is a new building and many many friends delivered in the old one.  They all had great experiences.  Another friend though called it the baby factory.  She said they have a higher C-section rate and pitocin use because they have to get people in and out.  I don't know if it's true or not. 

Anyone use Cooper?  I've heard the food sucks but the nurses are great.

• Cooper does not promise a private room FYI
  • Loading the player...
  • Really?  Huh.  I thought they redid everything and they only had private rooms.  I will definitely ask that question on my tour.  Thanks for the heads up!!
  • I had great experiences at Virtua both times :-)  I don't know much about the other two since my friends and family have all delivered at Virtua, Kennedy or SJ Health.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just delivered at Cooper last week.  It was a great experience.  The nurses, doctors, and staff were wonderful. I would definitely go there again! I cannot say enough great things about my experience.  I had a private room, although due to insurance, I was told they cannot "guarantee" it, but that they rarely have had to double up on rooms.  Also, I thought the food was pretty good too
  • ACOOKACOOK member
    I delivered my DD at the old Virtua Voorhees. Can't say it was great. Just hopeful that the new building provides more room for my DH. He slept on one of those chair beds that didn't work right. I had an extra bed in my room with no room mate and they wouldn't let him sleep on that bed. I was there from monday til friday. In fact he was sitting on it and one of the orderlies came and took it away. But then again the same woman walked me to the elevator and when the door opened she handed me my DD in her carrier and said "here you go". She didn't even get out of the elevator. My girlfriend delivered at Underwood and a wonderful experience. Big open rooms!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I delivered my DS at the old Virtua in Jan. 2010 and had a great experience. Yes, it was very busy when I was there. But I had an L&D nurse with me most of the day. Once I was dilated about 5cm, I had a L&D nurse with me the entire time and she was great. I am pg again and am due later this month. I went on a tour of the new hospital and it is very nice. All of the rooms are private and you can order food 24hours a day.
  • I had my son at the old Virtua, and I had a private room, and no problems.  I was not rushed out, nor did I feel like I was a number.  Yes, even though I had a private room , it was smaller, and not designed for a SO to spend the night, or any length of time there.

I just had my daughter, I delivered at the old Virtua again, but was transferred to the new one, the move fell within my 4 nights of hospital stay.  The new hospital is very nice.  The rooms are very large.  Each one is private, and has a mini table with 2 chairs, a pull out couch and a rocking chair, with a nursing stool.  Yes you can order food 24 hours, but it is a limited selection after the normal dinner hour. The  menu is the same.

Virtua now has a more "family friendly" policy where they encourage family to stay as long as the patient wants, hence the added furniture in the room.  They encourage the dad to stay overnight, and they are encouraging the baby do more of rooming-in with the mom instead of in the nursery.  It's called Stork Care.

• ACOOKACOOK member
    Glad to here the new hospital made some much needed improvements. Do they still only allow two people with you while you labor?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Good question!  How many people are allowed with you during labor at Cooper?
  • I am an L&D nurse at Cooper and you get 2 support people with you during labor.  Let me know if you have any other questions!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There are always going to be mixed reviews, but I LOVED my experience at Underwood when I delivered DS there three years ago and look forward to delivering DD there in August. I was there 6 days (induction, c-section, and high BP issues kept me there that long) and had my own room the entire time. DH stayed in the room with me and had a cot and nicer blankets than I had. There was a small table with two chairs, and plenty of room for visitors. Also had a glider and roomy bathroom with shower.  The food was good, nurses were great, and care of DS was fabulous. No complaints at all. 
  • Thank you,frankie!!  Can you tell us who your favorite docs are to work with?  Are the rooms private?  Will you be delivering there? BTW - I love the name of your little girl.  Have a great day!

• I delivered at the old Virtua Voorhees and had a great experience. I was on the antepartum unit though because I was an emergency c-section five weeks early due to pre-e, and my DD was transported to CHOP the day she was born. All the nurses were terrific, I never felt like a number nor did I have a "baby factory" vibe. My only complaints were facility related, which obviously isn't an issue since the new hospital opened up. I'm looking forward to delivering at the new Virtua Voorhees when we decide to get pregnant again!

ETA: @ the poster above who mentioned higher c-section and pitocin rates - is that a proven statement? I can't imagine them wanting to do c-sections because those involve a LONGER stay, therefore tying up rooms. They actually encouraged me to try an induction first and use a c-section as a last resort when it was determined that my DD had to be delivered due to the pre-e.

STM due Feb. 2017!
  • I really like all of the docs there.  I have never had a problem with any of them and I use to work with them in the operating room prior to transfereing to L&D.  The Labor rooms are private as are most of the mother-infant rooms.  I am not delivering there because I am high risk and my cardiologist wants me to deliever at PENN where she is.  The nurses at Cooper are wonderful and really take pride in the field.  Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered at the new Virtua two weeks ago.  The L & D nurses were awesome!  I had to be induced and I was not "rushed" at all.  From the time I had the pitocin started to the time I started pushing it was about 15 hours.

The facilities were wonderful.  The postpartum nurses (with the exception of two) and lactation consultants were absolutely terrible though.   No one ever gave me the same information twice when it came to breast feeding.  I was just told to suck it up essentially.  The nurse who discharged us basically gave me "you're completely clueless" attitude...not what you want to hear.

My doctors were fabulous though and I'll definitely be sticking with them for all my kids.  They are Garden State Ob/Gyn.

• I loved Virtua. The nurses and all staff were very friendly and helpful. I felt safe too with the security measures practiced.

• I can't speak for Cooper for maternity, but my mom was recently pleased with the hospital for her knee replacement.

Virtua Voorhees was like heaven on Earth!  Amazing staff, comfort and care.  And the food was delicious!  I had a c-section and stayed for 5 days, and my husband and I could have stayed for 5 more!  The nurses are amazing, each one, every shift - they were all so genuinely nice and caring.  There is a reason they call it "the baby factory" there, they KNOW what they are doing!  

Underwood would scare me to death, would NEVER let anyone go there. Not after the 2 women died within during childbirth there within like a day of each other?!  No way, sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"