September 2011 Moms
Options

Update Re: guns

So after reading all of your thoughtful comments I have a little more clarity on this issue.

I realized that by "protection" I really wasn't thinking of random crime.  I do live in a fairly high crime area, but I'd rather just let a criminal take my stuff than possibly take a human life.  I think the "protection" I was thinking of was more of a hypothetical zombie apocalypse "If the sh!t hits the fan" scenario.  Like chaos in the streets people acting like animals kind of thing.

I didn't even think about law-enforcement families.  If my husband dealt with the criminal element on a regular basis, I'd want a gun next to the bed (in a safe of course).  Bad guys can find out where you live and if you helped land their butts in jail, when they get out they could want revenge... scares me!  Anyone else see Cape Fear?

I watched a documentary last night on HBO about people getting their US citizenship.  So many people talked about how safe and secure they felt in this country and they don't have to fear for their families lives anymore.  We have cops, 911, and people who take the law seriously.  It put things into perspective big time.  We don't live in a war zone, we are protected by our police force and military and our neighbors too.  

As long as the chance of an accident is greater than the chance of a Zombie Apocalypse, I think we'll stay gun free.  If we need em, we know where to get em, but til then I'll hang tough with my Louisville Slugger and chef's knife.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Update Re: guns

• Options

After our incident with the stranger walking into our house, DH purchased a hand gun. He hunts and has been around guns all his life. He treats guns with respect and obeys all laws associated with owning a gun. For now, the gun is stored in a holster in the top drawer of our tall dresser. Once LO is here, we will make other arrangements to make sure the gun is stored safely.

Even though I am a firm believer that guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people... I am absolutely terrified of guns. I don't want to be around them, I don't want to look at them, and the thought of having one in the same house as my baby boy makes me want to scream. I am trying my hardest to respect DH and his wishes and I totally get why he feels he needs one and I definitely believe in his right to have one. I tear up every time he gets it out. He showed me how to handle it, what to do and not to do, but I don't want any part in it. His parents also insist I learn to handle it. I can even understand their reasoning when we get into this debate, but I still don't want anything to do with it. Honestly, I'm torn as to what to do. They all insist that once I'm comfortable with it, I won't be scared anymore, but I would seriously rather have a tooth pulled than learn to shoot it. Tongue Tied

• Options

I am not a fan of guns in my home or the homes of people where my child will play.  When I was about 5 years old, I was playing at my friends house (5 doors down from my parents house)  The father kept a loaded gun in the bedside table. 

We were curious little girls and wanted to know and hold the gun even though we knew it was wrong.  My friend wanted me to see what her Dad had in their house.  So we snuck into the bedroom, opened the drawer and played with the loaded gun.  We each held it and aimed it. 

Luckly we were both very scared and we decided to stop playing and put it back before we killed each other.  I remember doing this and looking back on what we did, I don't want my child to have that same opprotunity. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dad owns several guns for hunting, all of which are locked in a box in the top of my parent's closet. I don't remember knowing where these were as a child. Recently in our area we had a very sad incident in which a grandfather accidentally shot his granddaughter while they were out on the local farm. She was only 7. Guns around children can be very scary. Although to each household their own. DH is a baseball coach so I guess we will rely on the baseball bat. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagenatkay02:

After our incident with the stranger walking into our house, DH purchased a hand gun. He hunts and has been around guns all his life. He treats guns with respect and obeys all laws associated with owning a gun. For now, the gun is stored in a holster in the top drawer of our tall dresser. Once LO is here, we will make other arrangements to make sure the gun is stored safely.

Even though I am a firm believer that guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people... I am absolutely terrified of guns. I don't want to be around them, I don't want to look at them, and the thought of having one in the same house as my baby boy makes me want to scream. I am trying my hardest to respect DH and his wishes and I totally get why he feels he needs one and I definitely believe in his right to have one. I tear up every time he gets it out. He showed me how to handle it, what to do and not to do, but I don't want any part in it. His parents also insist I learn to handle it. I can even understand their reasoning when we get into this debate, but I still don't want anything to do with it. Honestly, I'm torn as to what to do. They all insist that once I'm comfortable with it, I won't be scared anymore, but I would seriously rather have a tooth pulled than learn to shoot it. Tongue Tied

I know how you feel about being scared about it. I never fired a gun before meeting MH.  The first gun I shot was a semi-automatic rifle.  Talk about terrifying.  I was so surprised that I actually liked it once I got over the shock.  I don't even know how to describe how it felt.  I'm still not really into guns but I understand them much better now and I'm not so scared.  Guns do not just go off by themselves.  I really encourage you to learn how to shoot it.  It's scary at first, but I promise you that once you get more comfortable with how to handle it, the fear lessens.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"