Babies: 0 - 3 Months

4 weeks old-rice cereal??

DS is 4 weeks old, we have been doing great with the breastfeeding. He is still waking up every 2-3hrs at night to feed. Is it too early to put a little rice cereal in his night time bottle to keep him fuller longer and sleep longer?? Thanks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 4 weeks old-rice cereal??

• I'm by no means an expert but I would never give my 4 week old rice cereal just to get him to sleep longer.  BM is all he needs right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Too early! WAYYYYYYYYYY too early. Don't do it unless your pedi recommends it!

And if your pedi recommends it JUST so he sleeps longer, I'd get a second opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • imagegymnst1013:
    I'm by no means an expert but I would never give my 4 week old rice cereal just to get him to sleep longer.  BM is all he needs right now.

i agree  - i wouldn't give DS cereal just yet. a friends Dr told her that once baby gets to approx 12lbs they don't really need as many feeds in the middle of the night.  i'm just now starting to not feed him when he wakes up at midnight - i just reswaddle and soother him and he just falls back to sleep.

sometimes they don't wake up from hunger, just habit so i'd just stick it out!

unfortunately babies wake lots at night! i would just wait it out a bit longer...my DS just started sleeping longer at night at he just turned 9 weeks

• Unless for a medical reason, it is not okay to put rice cereal in a bottle.  It is a choking hazard.

eta:  It will not make your LO sleep longer.    

• I think the rice cereal at night to get a baby to sleep thing is something our grandmothers' generation did. Unless your baby is having weight gain issues, he should be only taking breastmilk (or formula) until 4-6 months. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AZ123AZ123 member

With DS 1 I started doing cereal in the bottle at 3.5 months per the OK from the pedi but that was because he was hungry and my BM supply wasn't satisfying him. For the record, it didn't help him sleep longer and he still would wake every 3 hours until he was 5 months old. it was brutal but you just have to suffer through it right now.

If anything, give a formula bottle in the evening when your BM supply has decreased from the day's activities (or pump early morning and give that milk in the evening. It is fattier). That might help you get a longer stretch from 9pm - 2 am.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes- it is too early and most likely won't work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegymnst1013:
    I'm by no means an expert but I would never give my 4 week old rice cereal just to get him to sleep longer.  BM is all he needs right now.

couldn't have said it better my self!

• vanfoxvanfox member
    Rice cereal shouldn't be fed to babies that small without a pediatrician's okay. It's pretty much only recommended for infants with reflux now and is no guarantee that it will do anything for their sleep.
  • My son is 3 weeks. We were told to add rice for his reflux. It made absolutely no difference in how long he sleeps. Incidentally, it didn't do much for the reflux either, so we stopped.
    A 4/26/10 and B 6/13/11
  • I would not do it. And it's not proven to help babies sleep through the night. I believe babies will sleep when they are ready. My 1st didn't sleep through the night until she was 18 months old. She still got up 1-2 times at night to nurse. And she ate table food, and plenty of it! My 2nd? Completely different baby, she sttn and has for weeks on only breast milk. I think you might risk tummy troubles because their system isn't ready for that kind of food just yet.

I know that we will do anything for sleep, but you might not get any even if you try the cereal. I know we didn't have luck with my first, she just wasn't a good sleeper, and still really isnt'. 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My baby girl has been getting rice cereal mixed in with her breastmilk/formula bottles since she was two weeks old, due to reflux and terrible spitting up.  I was surprised at giving it to her this soon, but her pedi said she needed it.  It didn't do much for either the reflux or the spit up, didn't make her sleep any longer, and it has given her severe gas/constipation.  Her pedi wants her to continue it, but I'm thinking about stopping anyway.  Would not recommend if you have a choice.
  • https://www.parenting.com/article/mythbuster-infant-cereal-in-babys-bottle

What you've heard: It's okay to put infant cereal in your baby's bottle

The truth: It's not advised except in rare instances, such as when a baby has severe reflux and isn't getting enough calories to grow. "We're not talking about mildly spitty or gassy babies," says Jennifer Shu, M.D., coauthor of Food Fights: Winning the Nutritional Challenges of Parenthood Armed With Insight, Humor, and a Bottle of Ketchup (out August 2007 at aap.org). Even in the tough cases, first check with your doctor about other options, such as supplementing with extra formula or trying medication, like antacids.

"Babies know how much they need to drink based on volume, so upping the calories in the bottle can cause them to overfeed and become overweight," says Dr. Shu.

As for giving infant cereal at bedtime to help your baby sleep longer, studies show that it doesn't work. Bottom line: If your baby's old enough to digest solids (between 4 and 6 months), she should be getting them from a spoon.

• You can call CPS on me now but I've been giving Carissa cereal by spoon or in her bottle since 7-8 weeks and she's been sleeping 10-12 hours a night ever since. She was doing 6-8 hours on her own and that's when I started. I agree 4 weeks is little, but I disagree with all the "ZOMG" related to it.
    Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • imagebonniekay:

DS is 4 weeks old, we have been doing great with the breastfeeding. He is still waking up every 2-3hrs at night to feed. Is it too early to put a little rice cereal in his night time bottle to keep him fuller longer and sleep longer?? Thanks!!

LOL @ that. Oh honey, you might be in for a rude awakening if you are frustrated with that at just 4 weeks. I know people who have a LO doing the 2-3 hours shifts at 10 weeks and beyond. My little guy is 9 weeks and will sometimes sleep 5 hours stretches but also does the every 2-3 hours on occassion just to drive my BSC. Be patient, longer sleep nights will come someday.

• Babies wake to eat every 2-3 hours - it's normal.  Rice cereal is not recommended until a baby turns 5 months. 
  • 2-3 hours at 4 weeks is totally normal.
  • Looks like I'm going against the grain here.... our DD is 9 wks. We started w/ a tbls of cereal that we added some of her formula to and I spoon feed her. We started doing this at about 7wks and with in a day or so of doing this she is sleeping on avg 7 hrs a nite. We have a strict routine w/ her....bath at 8:45, feed at 9pm (bottle at first, the cereal and finish off w/ the rest of the bottle). She's burped and put in bed. She's usually sleeping NLT 930-10:00 and she's up at 4am. Thats 7 hrs on a tblsp of cereal and 4oz of formula. Everyone is different and every baby is different. But I dont agree w/ all of these fear mongers saying your a horrible parent if you start your little one on cereal at 2 mos vice 4 mos! Some Pedi's agree, most dont, but you have to do what feels right for your baby. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"