September 2011 Moms
Options

Facebook Labor Updates (from Aug 11 board)

I saw a post on the August 2011 board and thought it would be interesting to see what Sept momma's think......

Will you (or your DH/Family) post status updates on Facebook while you are in labor? Like how thin your cervix is, how far dilated you are, water breaking, pushing.....that sort of thing?

I am on facebook pretty often, but don?t post my every single move during the day (and the people that do post every waking minute of their day needs a little more to their life...just saying). But seeing as I don?t want all the phone calls, or visitors at the hospital, I think we will keep the status updates to one post...."She is here!"

What do you ladies think?

Re: Facebook Labor Updates (from Aug 11 board)

• Options

I would never post about my cervix on facebook! LOL. I am way too shy for that, and I have work colleagues and former students as "friends"

I might post on my family's private 'group' page though. (which includes about 8 very close family members).

For other people, I will probably do a mass email with a pic within a week after the baby is born.

• Options

I will definitely not be posting the status of my cervix. That's just not going to happen and I'll be sure to tell everyone in the family that will know what's going on to not do this either. I will probably make an announcement once he's born or maybe when I do go into labor, but not during. That's just too personal of a moment for me, and I don't need the world knowing about my cervix.

Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hell no. I haven't posted a single status about my pregnancy and that is certainly not the time to start. I think a simple "baby's here" and a photo is perfectly fine.
                          January Siggy Challenge: You had one job

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

The way some of my friends are....if they were to see me post "In labor, heading to hospital." they would probably beat me there and would be waiting in the lobby for me!

My DH and I have already decided that we probably will only make phone calls to mothers and fathers that we are in labor and heading to LD and once everything is said and done, then we will make the phone call (or post) that baby has "landed safely!"

I was at my friend?s birth and she made the announcement to friends that she was heading to the hospital. Within one hour, there were over 20 people in the waiting room. She arrived at 4:00 a.m., labored all day and didn?t have the baby until 8:00p.m. I could tell she was getting tired of the mass amounts of people telling her (joking of course) to hurry up. So i am just going to avoid that situation all together.

• Options
    Def. NOT! I dont even trust people coming in and taking pics of LO because I dont want others posting pics of him on Facebook!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    sraexxsraexx member
    I am a frequent poster about food, cooking, and daily what nots, but I am very private about emotions, bodily functions and family only stuff. I am also friends with a lot of colleagues and wouldn't need my cousin needing to know about my cervix, much less my sous chef. I gave a "having a baby" update, and "it's a girl" and I will probably do a "here we go" and a " she's here". That's it though.
    BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

Just because someone is my facebook friend doesn't mean they need to know the state of my vagina.

My facebook friends consist of exes, family friends, high school and elementary school classmates, so really? It's one thing for those people to know I'm having a baby, it's another to give them the details.

• Options
    imagelittlecookie:
    Hell no. I haven't posted a single status about my pregnancy and that is certainly not the time to start. I think a simple "baby's here" and a photo is perfectly fine.
    this is what I wanted to do with DD .. but my mom posted on fb that I was in labor yadda yadda I wanted to throat punch her. Someone actually posted in my wall after seeing moms post and I deleted it.. DH didn't see what I was worked up over though.. I do post occasionally about my pregnancy mainly how long left etc.. I talk about DD waaaay more than anything else.. yep im that mom ;)
  • Options

Definitely not. We are only telling parents, grandparents, siblings, and 1 or 2 of my best friends when I go into labor. I won't be updating my status with that news.

However, I have decided that I will post a little update on our FB group wall since it is totally private and I want all the T&P's possible and to keep you guys in the loop. Not minute to minute details but that I am headed to the birth center or something.

~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Nope. Nothing on facebook until after the baby comes, I'm going to give my family specific instructions.  My reasoning? 1. The details are private. 2. I don't want the hospital filled with people. 3. That's opening your house up to theives, just like if you announce that you are going to be on vacation.

• Options

To me, this is kind of like the whole posting on FB on vacation or honeymoon thing. I mean, some things are just meant for you and your loved ones.

A friend of mine had a friend of ours post updates- and I ended up hiding her when she got to "Jen is pushing!" I just don't want to know, and I don't want other people to know the sweaty details of my labor either. We will do a photo text to super close people immediately, and then post on FB and email the next day.

• Options
    A friend of mine posted all the details while she was in labor... I personally won't.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

That's a big no from me! There is nothing I hate more than having to find out about important things on facebook. It just seems so impersonal to me! I want to make sure that all of my family and friends find out from me before anything is put on facebook. I was the same way with my wedding and told people not to post any pictures of it until after my reception (which was the next week since we had a destination wedding).

I will however probably put something on our facebook group or get ahold of one of the bump ladies I'm close with to have them do an update for me so I can get some extra T&Ps.

• Options

imagelittlecookie:

this exactly

• Options
    Not posting details throughout labor.  Once she arrives, I'll post the basics and a couple of pics. 
  • Options
    imageMrsMVM:

To me, this is kind of like the whole posting on FB on vacation or honeymoon thing. I mean, some things are just meant for you and your loved ones.

A friend of mine had a friend of ours post updates- and I ended up hiding her when she got to "Jen is pushing!" I just don't want to know, and I don't want other people to know the sweaty details of my labor either. We will do a photo text to super close people immediately, and then post on FB and email the next day.

I think you really said it best...

• Options
    I don't post much on FB, I comment much more than I participate in status updates and making albums. On that note, nothing about me personally is ever up. I'm lucky in another aspect that my DH deleted his fb account a year ago. He does have a twitter account though, but again, like me doesn't post anything personal on.
  • Options
    MH despises FB.  He has an account that I talked him into getting, but he never uses it.  I probably wouldn't share details of my labor on fb.  The people who need to know that would already be there.
  • Options
    for starters, my husband would be sooooo pissed if I did this.  we will post a picture once she's here and everything is a-ok, but no one needs to know anything up until then.  I told him I don't even want anyone to know anything until I'm about ready to push.  I just don't want them around, too much pressure.  I'm not performing for anyone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagesraexx:
    I am a frequent poster about food, cooking, and daily what nots, but I am very private about emotions, bodily functions and family only stuff. I am also friends with a lot of colleagues and wouldn't need my cousin needing to know about my cervix, much less my sous chef. I gave a "having a baby" update, and "it's a girl" and I will probably do a "here we go" and a " she's here". That's it though.

This is a good description of how I feel.  I HATE overpublication on fb. Pictures of wounds, step by steps of arguments. I post occasional things about my days or things we're doing but no one needs a full on update of anything to do with my body. I didn't post "trying to make a baby again tonight" LOL

• Options
    OnwardOnward member

No way.  Only after the baby is here safely.

I might post on our Sept 2011 FB board when I go into labor though... (easier to post there from my phone!).'

DH doesn't really do Facebook, so no problems there... 

TTC #1 for 4 years with every trick in the book. IVF in October 2010= BFN
    Elliott Michael born 9/22/11
    Audrey Pauline 9/13/15
  • Options
    I will probably post that we are on our way to the hospital and then post after he is born announcing his birth.  People don't need to know how far apart my contractions are or how dilated my cervix is.

ETA:  Our friends and most relatives will know that we don't want them at the hospital and they can visit after we get home and settled in.  Of course we will tell them this nicely beforehand.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    The word cervix should be banned from facebook posts....it irks me everytime I read a cervix update on there.
  • Options
    Oh God no!  I'll post a picture of him and announce that he's here, but that's it.  I'm not even doing an "I'm in labor!" status.
  • Options
    I won't post while in labor but will post a picture with her stats once she is born. 
  • Options

With DD I did post before she came but that was mostly because my induction took 3 days and labor took another 1 so I was in there forever and I was keeping myself calm and people updated.

I didn't tell people about my cervix however..just that we were still in labor or what-not..and my DH didn't post about DD being here until after we had bonded and such.. I think he started posting from the nursery while she was getting her shots...

Don't know what were doing w/ this one though..i'm sure DH will be post happy when he's actually born but idk about during the process (i'm hoping for natural start labor and a quick one at that)

• Options

Definitely not! We probably won't even post she's here until we get home from the hospital. The people that need to know will be called. I don't really want a ton of visitors in the hospital.

I have a friend--I love her dearly-- but she can be very overbearing and sometimes lacks social graces. I really don't need her there over staying her welcome. My family even jokes that if she knew she'd just kick DH out of the room during L&D.

• Options
    I won't be saying anything until she is here. Then I *may* post a picture or something. I am not even telling family we are heading to the hospital (aside from our parents) because I don't want a lobby full of people and we have decided we want a few hours to bond with the baby before visitors. My family just doesn't get it, so we have to keep them in the dark until we are ready for them to visit.
  • Options
    I have a friend on FB that was updating people on everything. I don't think that anyone needs to know all of that and will just post something after the baby is here.
  • Options

Well, since our plan is to not tell MIL I am in labor (assuming it goes the way we hoped) 'till I am 6 or 7 cm dialated, we won't be posting any of that for sure. And I figure that by that time I won't be in the mood for posting and would be unhappy if DH left my side to update the masses.

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wedding Anniversary: August 7th 2010 BFP: December 22nd 2010 Beautiful Little Birthday: August 30th 2011

BLOG.

• Options
    Hell no. People don't need nor want to know about that stuff, lol
  • Options
    I am not a very active FB poster to begin with so I dont think I would post until after the birth. I just dont think people care that much.
  • Options

O heck no!!!  

We're not even calling people when I go into labor!  I'm hoping this will keep posts on my wall to a minimum because no one will really know when we're at the hospital. 

I have a short list of people I'd like to call and tell personally but aside from that I'll just post a simple baby is here post and call it a day.

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Options
    Definitely not.  But we're not telling our families we're in labor either until the baby's arrived, unless we have complications and need a hospital transfer from the birth center.  Labor & delivery is going to be something that we share privately.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"