Breastfeeding

To avoid BF while PG, should I start to pump now??

Hi everyone! So H & I are planning for 2u2. Ideally we would conceive when DS is about 9 months old. I really wanted to BF for a year with him, but it looks like its gonna be either BFing or getting KU. My first trimester was exhausting (I mean 14hr naps, then 2 hrs awake, then repeat).... & BF takes so much energy for me & I feel like there's no way I could do both at once.BFing is going really well for us, except I can't get LO to take a bottle again. Its not a big deal because I SAH now, but I'm thinking about pumping like crazy until September so I can build a freezer stash big enough to sustain him for the last few weeks just in case BF while PG proves to be too much or the PG dries me up. I'm assuming he'll use a bottle or sippy cup by then. Anyone try this?? Any stories of it working/not working?
DS1- Jan 2011
DS2- Sept 2012
M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!

Re: To avoid BF while PG, should I start to pump now??

• imageAmyG*:
    imagecatdwg83:
    Hi everyone! So H & I are planning for 2u2. Ideally we would conceive when DS is about 9 months old. I really wanted to BF for a year with him, but it looks like its gonna be either BFing or getting KU. My first trimester was exhausting (I mean 14hr naps, then 2 hrs awake, then repeat).... & BF takes so much energy for me & I feel like there's no way I could do both at once. BFing is going really well for us, except I can't get LO to take a bottle again. Its not a big deal because I SAH now, but I'm thinking about pumping like crazy until September so I can build a freezer stash big enough to sustain him for the last few weeks just in case BF while PG proves to be too much or the PG dries me up. I'm assuming he'll use a bottle or sippy cup by then. Anyone try this?? Any stories of it working/not working?

With the bold, if just being pregnant takes that much out of you, I would NOT recommend getting pregnant right away.  Your body will thank you!!

As for pumping, when you get close to the 9 months and start thinking of TTC, you can begin to pump THEN.  rather than now.  Breastmilk really isn't good for much longer than 6 months, especially that the milk you pump for a young baby is totally different than the milk you pump for a 6 month or 9 month baby.

Definitely agree with Amy regarding the bold lines.

But on another note, I am still BFing DS and am 6 weeks preggo with #2 (my stupid siggy won't update). Aside from being a bit sore, he's still feeding like a champ and because I'm used to being exhausted keeping up with him, I haven't really noticed a difference. Everyone is different and although your body wasn't used to being PG the first time, you may have a different experience the 2nd time around.

Best wishes and have fun TTC!

Here we go again.... 2 under 2!!

Z is going to be big brother!

• imageNoVa Mom2Be2010:
    imageAmyG*:
    imagecatdwg83:
    Hi everyone! So H & I are planning for 2u2. Ideally we would conceive when DS is about 9 months old. I really wanted to BF for a year with him, but it looks like its gonna be either BFing or getting KU. My first trimester was exhausting (I mean 14hr naps, then 2 hrs awake, then repeat).... & BF takes so much energy for me & I feel like there's no way I could do both at once. BFing is going really well for us, except I can't get LO to take a bottle again. Its not a big deal because I SAH now, but I'm thinking about pumping like crazy until September so I can build a freezer stash big enough to sustain him for the last few weeks just in case BF while PG proves to be too much or the PG dries me up. I'm assuming he'll use a bottle or sippy cup by then. Anyone try this?? Any stories of it working/not working?

With the bold, if just being pregnant takes that much out of you, I would NOT recommend getting pregnant right away.  Your body will thank you!!

As for pumping, when you get close to the 9 months and start thinking of TTC, you can begin to pump THEN.  rather than now.  Breastmilk really isn't good for much longer than 6 months, especially that the milk you pump for a young baby is totally different than the milk you pump for a 6 month or 9 month baby.

Definitely agree with Amy regarding the bold lines.

But on another note, I am still BFing DS and am 6 weeks preggo with #2 (my stupid siggy won't update). Aside from being a bit sore, he's still feeding like a champ and because I'm used to being exhausted keeping up with him, I haven't really noticed a difference. Everyone is different and although your body wasn't used to being PG the first time, you may have a different experience the 2nd time around.

Best wishes and have fun TTC!

Here we go again.... 2 under 2!!

Z is going to be big brother!

This is pretty much what I'm hoping- that my body will be "used" to being pregnant. Especially now that I know what to expect, you know? And with our situation its kind of a now or never sort of thing. H is in the military but won't be going anywhere til at least next July (hence the plan for another baby before then) so he'll be able to help with DS. Also, we'd know his deployment schedule in advance, so if he's deploying I can move back home to get help from family. If he's not deploying then we go where he goes & life goes on as usual. Otherwise we'd be waiting & could get stuck in some crappy situation where he leaves while i'm 8.9 months pregnant & my water breaks as his ship leaves or something lol.

Thanks for your advice ladies :) & I would love to know how it works out for you, Nova, so I can mentally prepare lol! Oh & Congrats :) !!!

DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP about the pumping at 9 months.  I wanted to add that even though I got my period back at 7 months pp (exactly actually) I was not having normal cycles because my LP was too short.  I miscarried at 11 months because of it.  I then started taking Vitex to try to regulate my hormones.  I was able to get pregnant the first cycle on Vitex which started as DS turned 1 year.  I'd recommend charting once your cycles return so if you do notice a whacky cycle you might be able to start taking Vitex or something else to help regulate your hormones faster than they would naturally.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"