Trying to Get Pregnant

Question about TTC and weight

Just married in May. We are TTC pretty much right away because I am 34 and really don't want to wait much longer. Im starting to reconsider and thinking maybe putting it off just a couple months to lose some weight.

I guess my question would be did and of you ladies who already have kids do this? Do you think it helped you feel better during your pregnancy? I am at my heaviest ever and i just feel very unhealthy and uncomfortable.

Or if you are like me and carry some extra weight and just went for it....were you healthy and comfortable in your pregnancy?

I want to try and have healthy pregnancy.....as much as possible anyway. I have a 13 year old daughter but i was all of 20 years old when i had her and thin as a rail....so that experience is of no help to me. 
SIGGY WARNING
Me 38   DH 34
married 05-21-11 
started TTC right away

BFP- 10-16-14 EDD 6/13/15: MC 12-1-14 

Re: Question about TTC and weight

• It could take awhile to get pregnant. I am trying to lose weight too but I am trying to lose weight while I am TTC. My sister was overweight when she got pregnant and yet she still had a healthy pregnancy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know some women who are over weight who have trouble TTC, but then again, there are over weight women who get pregnant with no problems, so I would say to do what is comfortable for you.

I agree with DBoo, you can still lose weight while TTC.

Good Luck!

BFP #1 3/27/07-M/C 8weeks 5/3/07 "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away." 2/4/13 IUI #1+trigger=BFP!!!  DD born Oct. 9, 2013 via c-sectionAnniversary

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah....i do know it may not happen right away. I think i would possibly be upset if i did get pregnant and had not lost any weight. My weight is such an issue for me right now.
    SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

• We got married and started TTC right away, meanwhile I got on the let's lose some weight track.  6 weeks later, BFP.  I had a wonderful, healthy pregnancy despite my plus size status before pregnancy.  Doing the same thing this time around.  (Also, I was 33 first time, and I'm 34, almost 35 now...that ticking clock is LOUD!!)
  • barinebarine member

Try not to worry about your weight, still do moderate exercise, eat healthy and avoid junk foods. I was 100lb when I got pregnant with my daughter and gained 70lb during the entire pregnancy. And I was healthy and had a normal delivery.

Right now I'm trying for number 2 and still trying to lose weight. I eat healthy foods, blend fertility smoothies and avoid junk. Do not put off TTC because of your weight. As long as you keep temping and the whole ttc stuff you should be fine.Smile

• OK so its ok to TTC and try to lose weight at the same time.

I think my main concern was the fact that im  extremely physically uncomfortable at my weight right now. I feel unhealthy and dont want it to get worse with added pregnancy weight. I have noticed that lately the added weight is affecting my sleep and getting through my work day (my job is physical)

I just thought that maybe it was something to consider putting off since it is causing me discomfort. :( 

i do worry about that ticking clock though :)

SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

• I have a few "extra" pounds.   Being old, I just went for it.    However, I found once I was pregnant I had the best metabolism ever (both times).   I could eat anything.  Shakes daily, craved all carbs,etc...    Only gained 13 with #1 (and it was all gone plus 13 more by 1 week post partum).    And gained 20 with #2 (also all gone plus additional soon after).

I sadly gain like crazy while BFing.   Ugh.   

I live in opposite land apparently

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • barinebarine member
    imageKirstenAlecia:

OK so its ok to TTC and try to lose weight at the same time.

I think my main concern was the fact that im  extremely physically uncomfortable at my weight right now. I feel unhealthy and dont want it to get worse with added pregnancy weight. I have noticed that lately the added weight is affecting my sleep and getting through my work day (my job is physical)

I just thought that maybe it was something to consider putting off since it is causing me discomfort. :( 

Certainly we all worry about the ticking clock :-) . Your should not allow your feelings affect ttc. Its ok to do both and I am also overweight. And I love my body. I'm like - how did I get here? Surprise I chose to accept me just the way I am. When you think about it too much then it can affect everything. My best strategy love me the way I am, work towards being healthy, my husband loves me, have fun while ttc and thats all that matters.

So relax, have fun ttc and losing weight. Take one step at a time! We are all in the same boat as U are.

• TTC doesn't mean your life has to stop. As long as you arnt doing any kind of EXTREME dieting its perfectly fine to diet while TTC. You don't know how long TTC will take and you don't know how long getting to a healthy weight will take, so if your waiting to accomplish one before trying the other you're really wasting time. Just try and make some healthy life style changes (which you should do while TTC and when KU anyway). Decrease your junk food, increase water, fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Get active. Don't worry so much about the scale, try to focus on living a healthier life for both you and your future baby.
    and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
    D&E 10.27.2011
    I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since no one knows how long it will take to conceive I would recommend trying to have a healthier lifestyle while you are going through the process. Maybe begin an exercise routine if you dont do one already and try eating really healthy while your ttc. It can only benefit you in the long run and hopefully you would be able to continue these things while your pregnant.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies.....I will keep all this in mind. Make some healthy changes and hopefully all will go well.

I normally do a low carb diet.....not sure this is a good idea though.

SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

• I am a size 18 and before we started TTC I went to my OB and mentioned my weight concerns. She said "Well, it would always be good for your body if you're able to lose some weight, however I also know the struggle and can tell you I've seen many women your size give birth to perfectly healthy babies." She suggested I just start moving more and switching to a healthier lifestyle. She said envision how it is you'd like to teach your kids and start living that way now WHILE you're TTC. She also mentioned that once pregnant I shouldn't do any extreme dieting of course, but if, through a healthier lifestyle I continue to lose weight thru the first trimester that would not be cause for concern as long as the baby is growing normally. Basically the bigger you are the less weight you're supposed to gain thru the pregnancy. It took me a bit to go down the healthy road due to some road blocks in my personal life, but I'm finally there and feeling great. I'm doing it the slow way, but it really does feel like I'm making life long changes. Good luck to you whatever you decide!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebellablue2:
    Since no one knows how long it will take to conceive I would recommend trying to have a healthier lifestyle while you are going through the process. Maybe begin an exercise routine if you dont do one already and try eating really healthy while your ttc. It can only benefit you in the long run and hopefully you would be able to continue these things while your pregnant.

I agree with this.  I would start exercising and eating well--no crash diets.  Low carb and low salt are good, but you don't have to cut carbs entirely.  Clean eating (veggies, lean meat, cut out/down on the processed foods and refined sugar) and some exercise can do wonders!

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• imageKirstenAlecia:

OK so its ok to TTC and try to lose weight at the same time.

It is perfectly ok to try to lose weight while also trying to get pregnant. But it sort of sounds like maybe you'd rather lose weight first and THEN try to get pregnant, and that's perfectly ok too!  Just because you're 34 and want a baby doesn't mean you HAVE to start trying right this instant if you're having doubts about it.  If you're physically and mentally uncomfortable about your weight and want to resolve that first, then go for it!  Or if you want to do both at the same time, you can go for that too :)  I think there's pretty much no wrong answer here.  Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Penny - Good to know I can do a lower carb diet. It seems to be the only way i can lose weight.

HoneyBunches - I am definitely physically uncomfortable :( That is the main problem....Im not as worried about having healthy baby. Im sure I will. I just dont feel good at my current weight. I have a hard time breathing and the last time I got to this weight....even though I was only this heavy for a few months the last time, I had high blood pressure that promptly went down when I lost about 10-12 pounds. I guess that would be a health concern though...

I think i may wait another month or two I guess. I will feel better. Physically and Mentally,

Thanks ladies....every one is very helpful. 

SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"