Breastfeeding

Thawing frozen BM ?

DH and I are going out saturday night and my mom is watching LO. She is also watching him tomorrow while I have to go to the DMV. So I need two bottles, because lord only knows how long the DMV will take. Anyway, I got out about 8 oz out of the freezer at about 7 pm tonight and put it in fridge to thaw. I am thinking I did it too soon for the Saturday night bottle. Can I still put some of it back in the freezer? My fridge seems to take a long time to thaw things though. I know it's 24 hours but is that from when it's thawed or when its out of the freezer? And sorry for wall of text, I am on my phone.

His three plus my one; we are all excited to welcome a little one!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Thawing frozen BM ?

• I believe the 24 hours is from the time it is thawed. As long as the milk is still frozen you should be able to put it back in the freezer, but if it has thawed at all I wouldn't.
    Hannah born 4/5/11
    TTC #2 since 1/14
    Miscarriage d/t blighted ovum 8/14
  • I just checked the book I'm reading (The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding) & it said that previously frozen milk is good in the fridge for up to 24 hours, and if it hasn't been used by then it needs to be discarded or refrozen. You need to make sure the milk you are refreezing is cold and not warm (which it would be if it never left the fridge), because you should only mix cold to cold.
  • Loading the player...
  • 24 hours from when it's thawed.

Mine takes about 12 hours to thaw in the fridge, so I consider it to have a fridge life of 36 hours (12 for thaw, 24 for liquid). Meaning that 36 hours from the time I move it to the fridge, it should be used.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• I heard that as long as it still has some slushiness too it you can refreeze it but once it has been fully thawed you can't refreeze it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"