Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Question for Moms with boys

So I have an awkward question to ask.  DS was circumcised 2 days after he was born.  He is 6 months old now and DH has been worried that not enough skin was taken when he was circumcised.  DH said the head shouldn't be covered at all and by now there should be a "scar" (DH seems to think it just doesn't look right and seems concernd).  I didn't know what to think so I asked our ped who said we had two options.  We could go to a urologist and have the circumcision redone or we can wait to see if he "grows into it", but right now, there is nothing to really worry about.  I have never heard of a boy "growing into it", does that happen?

Does anyone else have the same problem?  Does anyone have an older son who has "grown into it"?  Does anyone's son have a scar?

Sorry to ask such an awkward question, but I'm not quite sure what to do or who to ask.

Re: Question for Moms with boys

• There are times that the skin almost completely covers DS penis and it is completely normal.  We have to pull the skin back at diaper changes to clean it properly.  There have been a few times that it is hard and it seems more normal and like an adult's.  I wouldn't worry too much about it right now.  Just be cautious and clean it properly.  We had a problem earlier where the skin grew back on one side and our pedi said to just push it back at diaper changes.  HTH!
  • My doctor said if they have a little chub, it can hide their weenie. My LG sometimes have what we call a shrinkie dink, because it is hidden. We just pull it back and clean it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Normal. Both boys penis' look different cause they were done by different people. It all depends on how much skin they cut.  If something was wrong, your pedi would have saw.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't see a scar from DS's circ.  His skin at the base of the head is 'chubby'...sorry can't think of a better word right now.  But you can definitely see the whole head of his penis. 

My friend just got her son re-circumcised at 8 years old cause they didn't take enough off.  They said he looked like he had been half way circumcised.  Although I was the one who wanted to get him circ'd I don't think I would redo it when they were older.  I also don't think they grow into it either....if it bothers you that much then you can always get them to do it over.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i think my DS fits into this category too.Sometimes the skin looks all the way pulled back then other times it looks like it is half done. Im not too worried. Every boy is different. If he doesn't grow into it. His wife when he is older will just have to accept it. Really awkward and gross question but doesn't it pull back when it is erect? I dont think I would have DS get it fixed at such a late age. Isn't that major surgery? after all it is cosmetic. To each his own. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers image image image
  • There is no need to worry. This is my son. He was circ'ed here in Oz and they left too much of the foreskin on. This now covers up the penis. We push it back during diaper changes and bath time. All my doctors here and the US said its not uncommon and he will grow out of it. If you are worried bring your concerns to your doctor. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah my son has the same thing and my pediatrician just said to make sure to pull the skin back once a day and clean around it so the skin doesn't grow over it :)
  • Our son's penis is mostly covered with skin. When he's gotten an erection it has kind of popped out and looks more normal. So I do think that they sort of grow in to it.

As was said, I'm sure your pediatrician would've noticed if something is wrong,

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"