Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Diaper Cream poll (non clicky)

I was looking for my tube of Desitin this evening and couldn't find it in the diaper bag, so I called up my friend/ babysitter and asked if it had gotten left at her house. Her reply was that she knew it had been in the bag but she never used it on A.

I on the other hand always always always use it. I guess its the nurse in me, but its a barrier cream and protects, so I use it. She said she only used it on her two girls when they had a rash. I feel stupid because I didn't ever specifically tell her to use it each time, I just assumed she knew to. No harm, no foul, but just curious how everyone else uses it?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Diaper Cream poll (non clicky)

• I only use it if she has a rash. She gets changed often, except at night. After he nighttime bath I put baby powder on her.
    image.
  • imageSwan21:
    I only use it if she has a rash. She gets changed often, except at night. After he nighttime bath I put baby powder on her.

This. I do this exactly 

V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I never have. I use Vaseline. And even then, not all the time (but definitely over night!).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I only use if they have a rash which is rarely.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • I have never used any on my baby yet! I don't see a point of putting something on or in my baby that is not needed.JMO.
  • My LO's butt is very super sensitive.  We have to use the sensitive diapers, sensitive wipes, and even with that and very very frequent changes since we know of the sensitivity, a rash will start to develop within a day if we don't use diaper cream with every change.  So we use desitin with every change.  I've tried to just use vaseline as a barrier, but that does not work.  I don't need to use a lot of cream, just enough to cover the skin right around the hole.  Now my neice is 2 months old, and she never had a problem at all with diaper rash and my sister even uses the dry max diapers with her.  So she does not use cream everytime.  I think it just depends on your babies bottom :)
    BFP #1 2/10/10: No HB on 4/29/10 at 15 wk, D&C 4/30/10, Baby measured 11-12 wks. First Pregnancy and first loss. BFP #2 7/25/10: Blake Daniel arrived 3/25/11 BFP #3 3/9/12: Our Turkey Baby! Due Date: 11/19/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • imageAshfieldMay:
    I only use if they have a rash which is rarely.

This except he has never had a rash but a couple times his bottom looked a little red so I put some on.  Our Nanny on the other hand, slathers it on every day.  We can barely get it out of his cracks and crevices even when he takes a bath.   

• only when he has redness/rash.  
    Photobucket

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Rarely use it. Only when the girls had a sore/red butt.
  • I use A&D overnight because he's in a diaper for 12 hours but during the day I don't use anything.
  • I put desitin on him each time I change a pooped diaper. He had a diaper rash once and that time I caked on the desitin. When I put it on him now, I just put a little. I just think it's a rash prevention! :)
  • Only if she has a rash which has been once since she was born.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• We do not use it everytime, just when DS starts to look red. If we put it on at that point it takes one application and it's better. That doesn't happen very often though. He doesn't have an overly sensitive hiney.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We cloth diaper now but when we used disposables, I would put him on him every night for his bedtime diaper since he was going to be in it for an extended period, but other than that, only if he had a rash.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I use Vaseline everytime I change a poopy diaper. I have only used my Aveeno diaper rash cream twice when he seemed a bit red around his bum.
  • I've never used diaper cream, but have used the CA Baby Calendula Cream when he looked like he had heat marks around his legs. Not sure if that counts.
  • I've used it every time since birth.
  • skioskio member

DD has a sensitive bum, too. We have to use sensitive diapers and wipes or she gets a rash. Even Pampers Baby Dry gave her a rash; we haven't gone near the Dry Max. We use sensitive Pampers Swaddlers and Up&Up once or twice a day because they're way cheaper.

We put cream on her before bed when she'll be in the dipe for an extended period, whenever we use a non-sensitive dipe on her, and whenever she starts looking rashy.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageAshfieldMay:
    I only use if they have a rash which is rarely.

Same. 

ETA: We use cloth diapers though, so we use Earth Mama Angel Baby "bottom balm", because standard diaper cream will make the diapers less absorbant. O is pretty sensitive and we've used it maybe 5-6 times? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • imageSoonMrsCruz:
    I put desitin on him each time I change a pooped diaper. He had a diaper rash once and that time I caked on the desitin. When I put it on him now, I just put a little. I just think it's a rash prevention! :)

I also put baby powder on her after any particularly wet diapers.  :)

• image*BlackSheep*:
    I have never used any on my baby yet! I don't see a point of putting something on or in my baby that is not needed.JMO.

This.  If I do need to use something, I use Aquaphor and I usually only need to put it on during one diaper change and then her rash/redness is gone by the next change.  I've only done this a few times, usually when she poops overnight - that's when she gets redness.  Otherwise I don't see a reason to need to put cream. 

• We use cloth, so I'd have to go through lots of liners to use it all if the time, but will slather it on if he needs it and at night.

letting DS air out has helped us the most... But I can't do that since he's not regular at te moment...

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• I'm super duper thankful Abigail hasn't had more than a little bit of redness a time or two. I used baby powder then and it cleared up in no time. 
  • imagemjlewis101:
    I never have. I use Vaseline. And even then, not all the time (but definitely over night!).

This!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I always use it. Ds had bad diaper rash early on, and hasn't in a while, but that also might in part be to the diaper cream! Like you said, it's an extra barrier, which is important. Though, ds also used to poop with every diaper and now only has biggies once every 1-3 days, so they're pretty hard to miss!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageSwan21:
    I only use it if she has a rash. She gets changed often, except at night. After he nighttime bath I put baby powder on her.

I believe baby powder has been linked to cervical cancer. Our maternity nurse said to throw it away. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I used to use A+D as a barrier, until I realized that LO didn't need it -- she has yet to get a diaper rash, and I use nothing. The Desitin is sitting in a drawer unopened.

I do change her pretty often -- after every feeding. She stays in one diaper at night, but so far, no problems.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I cloth diaper, so I use CJ's BUTTer.  I usually put it on once or twice a day.  But, it has natural ingredients like Vitamin E, Coconut oil, cocoa butter, lanolin, beeswax, etc.

I can't imagine with the way that it repels water and liquids that it would be good to be putting zinc oxide (what is in desitin) on your baby's bum EVERY CHANGE.  Not to mention the unneeded cost. 

• I use vaseline every change, and diaper rash cream at the first sign of redness.  We have never had a true diaper rash with this method.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use the diaper rash cream after I give him a bath and if I see that his bottom is a little red I put on a little. Thankfully he hasn't really had a rash.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"