Parenting after a Loss

Well that was scary!

DH and I were watching SYTYCD and we heard DS coughing on the monitor. Sounded like a deep cough, so I asked DH to go up and check on him. He went up and then called down asking for a new crib sheet. DS had spit up all over it.  So he took care of DS while I changed the sheets.  As DH was laying him back down, he started coughing again and sounded like he was choking.  I yelled at DH and he swooped up and picked up DS and pounded on his back.  DS calmed down and we decided to try to make him comfortable (took off his helmet, changed his diaper, etc).  

I had him on my lap and he coughed and he projectile vomited and started to cry (it must have startled him).  Poor baby!  We checked his temp and doesn't have a fever.  I tried nursing him and he was asleep in a few minutes without any real nursing.

He's now sleeping soundly, but boy did I have trouble putting him down after that incident!  So scary! 

Oh, Baby Bean! We will always miss you! With us for 6w3d -- June 9, 2008.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
2 years of TTC, Seeing RE Feb 09, 2 medicated TI cycles - BFNs, 3 medicated IUIs - BFNs, back to medicated TI cycles until IVF approval, IVF approved in March 2010. BFP on last medicated TI cycle.
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Well that was scary!

• Poor little guy :(

Glad he is OK and sleeping soundly!

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • Poor baby!! That is scary, glad he's ok :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Poor baby! I'm a wuss. That made me a little teary. That must have been so scary! I probably would have found myself sleeping in the nursery after that.

• We deal with that with Cass every once in awhile since she is so mucus-y. It is SCARY! Especially if it is out of the blue. Poor LO:( I hope he feels better. Lots of snuggles for him:)
  • Thanks ladies! I'm seriously contemplating sleeping in there tonight.
    2 years of TTC, Seeing RE Feb 09, 2 medicated TI cycles - BFNs, 3 medicated IUIs - BFNs, back to medicated TI cycles until IVF approval, IVF approved in March 2010. BFP on last medicated TI cycle.
  • Poor guy! I would be scared too

BFP#1 1.28.10; HB 6w5d 2.18.10; No HB 3.8.10; Natural m/c 3.9.10 at 9w3d
    BFP#2 - 7.22.10 DD born 3.16.11
    BFP#3 - 8.11.11 DS born 3.27.12
  • I'm sorry we had something very similar happen just a week or so ago. fine all day sick at night for 3 nights put her on clear liquids for a day then on brat diet now she fine and happy as can be .the docs had no clue why if happened. which ticks me off... but she is doing good. just wondering if there was anything new today or yesterday?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• He's been teething the past few days, being really fussy, biting down on things. He's always been drooly, but has been worse the past few days.
  • That does sound scary.  I'm glad he recovered quickly!
  • I'm so sorry you had to deal with that...it's scary!  Same thing happened to Dani when she was around 4 months.  She was teething and had a bit of a runny nose.  She was fast asleep and I heard her cough on the monitor.  I picked it up to check on her and got it just in time to see her projectile vomit.  I ran up to get her and she was pretty much still asleep.  We got her out and changed her sheets, etc, and she went right back to sleep.  I can't remember who told me this, but I came on here to ask about it, and someone said that the cough could've triggered her gag reflex and caused her to throw up.  Since you said your LO was coughing first, I wonder if that was the same thing that happened.  The extra drool and mucus from the teething is probably what triggers the cough.  Hope your LO feels better soon!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • that is scary! so glad that he was okay!!
  • Thanks ladies! DS slept really well last night (even if I didn't!) and he's fine today. 

imagedaphne814:
    I'm so sorry you had to deal with that...it's scary!  Same thing happened to Dani when she was around 4 months.  She was teething and had a bit of a runny nose.  She was fast asleep and I heard her cough on the monitor.  I picked it up to check on her and got it just in time to see her projectile vomit.  I ran up to get her and she was pretty much still asleep.  We got her out and changed her sheets, etc, and she went right back to sleep.  I can't remember who told me this, but I came on here to ask about it, and someone said that the cough could've triggered her gag reflex and caused her to throw up.  Since you said your LO was coughing first, I wonder if that was the same thing that happened.  The extra drool and mucus from the teething is probably what triggers the cough.  Hope your LO feels better soon!

This sounds exactly like how it happened for us.  Thanks for the reassurance! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"