Breastfeeding

Weaning Questions

My DD is 6 mths old and I was planning in BFing until she is a year.  There are sometimes I want to wean her early but I am so torn.  Anyone else wean before your baby turned a year? If so how did you do it? Did you use formula after?
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Weaning Questions

• I ended up stopping at 6 months because of a dwindling supply of milk.  You can start by getting baby used to a bottle if she is not already.  You will definitely need to use formula after weaning at least until a year or when your pediatrician recommends.  Once the baby is used to the bottle begin to supplement the formula for one feeding then increase slowly getting baby used to being off the breast.  Most babies conform pretty easily to this.  Good luck if you decide to wean.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't speak from personal experience (I'm still EBF) - but I have had friends who were working moms that were able to partially wean.  They basically stopped pumping during the day (and supplemented with formula for bottles while they were at work) but continued to BF in the mornings and in evenings.  Basically they just kept the sessions that were most important to them and supplemented for the rest.  It's what I plan to do if I decide to wean early.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • OK this makes me feel a lot better.  I guess its a little selfish of me to want to stop. I feel like my supply may be dwindling.  When I try to pump i get almost nothing and it is driving me crazy.  I love the time we have when I am nursing her but at the same time its exhausting me thinking about keeping my supply up.  I am assuming she is getting enough.  She doesnt act hungry but when I try to pump I get almost nothing. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagejordycakes:

OK this makes me feel a lot better.  I guess its a little selfish of me to want to stop. I feel like my supply may be dwindling.  When I try to pump i get almost nothing and it is driving me crazy.  I love the time we have when I am nursing her but at the same time its exhausting me thinking about keeping my supply up.  I am assuming she is getting enough.  She doesnt act hungry but when I try to pump I get almost nothing. 

I wouldn't worry about your supply if your LO is satisfied after you are finished nursing.  It is said on this board a lot that "pumping" can't be compared to "nursing" when it comes to the amount that comes out.  Your baby can get out more than that pump ever can.

I agree with PP on the part time nursing.  Great idea.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"